advertisement

Brexit and the year 2020

By the last election i think people understood 'no deal' was the only offer from the EU.

How many times do I need to post this?

We have had plenty of options on offer from the EU.

It's the UK who have chosen No Deal. Us.

I assume what you mean is that the EU haven't offered us the 'cake and eat it' Brexit promised by vote Leave. Again, no shit Sherlock.

5a394c31160000783ecf2154.jpeg

Stephen

I assume what you mean is that the EU haven't offered us the 'cake and eat it' Brexit promised by vote Leave. Again, no shit Sherlock.

Stephen
You can post it forever. There's none so blind as don't want to see, and Colin has had his hands over his eyes and been singing "La la laaaaa!" since June 2016.

@stephen bennett - that slide is excellent summary of how the UK got to where it now is on future trade arrangements with the EU.

The Canada or Korea option might look fine - after all, both are wealthy countries. But: neither of these countries trade with the EU to anything like the extent that the UK does.

44% of UK exports are to EU countries, 55% of UK imports are from EU countries. On average, half the trade landing in or leaving the UK involves an EU member-state at the other side.

Meanwhile, Canada sends around 10% of exports to the EU, and receives 9% of imports from there. For South Korea, the EU accounts for 11% of exports, and 10% of imports.

The EU is simply far more important as a trading partner to the UK than it is to Canada or South Korea or any of the other countries that the Conservatives are offering up as examples of how their plans will work just fine.

Ok I read it this time.

The UK doesn't want to be part of the EU regulatory arrangement.

No shit Sherlock is about right.

Stephen
So you didn’t spot the bit where the UK brexit negotiator stated the actual position of the govt rather than the position you and Colin L made up earlier. Hardly a surprise, you won’t want to admit you got it wrong. Talking about shit, why not call on Sherlock to help you out with yours?

By the end of the year enough of the ADD afflicted British public will be ready to accept No Deal. BoJo will spout nonsense a la Trump (at least Trump has an economy that looks good) and try to wing it through the next election.
As the NHS, Service industries, farming and everything else that relied on EU workers falls apart.

So you didn’t spot the bit where the UK brexit negotiator stated the actual position of the govt rather than the position you and Colin L made up earlier. Hardly a surprise, you won’t want to admit you got it wrong. Talking about shit, why not call on Sherlock to help you out with yours?
The stated position is ‘no regulatory alignment’ and the EU’s (frequently repeated) response to that is ‘that makes a deal somewhat* less likely’.

Which, AFAICS is pretty much what Colin and Stephen said. Did you not spot that bit?

*almost entirely un-

Michel Barnier: UK can't have Canada trade deal with EU

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51549662

ps: The point of this post is there has been some talk here recently about the UK having a Canada type of deal, however it appears the EU won’t allow it.

interesting that the BBC seems to have taken my advice and added a comment section. a couple of members here told me that was not possible.

anyhow stuff like this:

"Has anyone found any benefit from leaving the EU yet?"

and

"Did the Brexiteers really think that they would get full access and a free trade deal, like the one we had as a member, whilst not being a member? Really?? Hate to say we told you so, but..."

i bet if we had competent forum software that could do a proper search, you'd find find pretty much verbatim content here.

it's like discussing a football match VAR call for three and a half years, every day, across 3 threads, saying the same thing over and over again. IMO, it pretty much ruins the forum -- at least for those of us outside the UK.

ps: The point of this post is there has been some talk here recently about the UK having a Canada type of deal, however it appears the EU won’t allow it.

It's not that the EU "won't allow" such a deal but rather that it won't agree to the same deal in the forthcoming negotiations, mostly because the nature of our economic relationship with Europe is fundamentally different from that of Canada.

When UK politicians talk about a "Canada style deal" they are effectively saying they want the EU to do us a massive favour at zero cost to us. This is why it's closely followed by talk of an "Australia style deal" because it's basically the UK saying "give us a hugely favourable deal or we will be happy with No Deal". This is all based on a reluctance to acknowledge that we are a relatively weak position in this negotiation.

it's like discussing a football match VAR call for three and a half years, every day, across 3 threads, saying the same thing over and over again. IMO, it pretty much ruins the forum -- at least for those of us outside the UK.

It's a lot worse if you actually live here where the whole country has been like that for years and will be for another decade or so. Eventually the main fault of Brexit will not be that we made ourselves poorer and lost some jobs, but that we made life in this country unremittingly tedious for over a decade.

You could just do what I do, which is not participate in threads I’m not interested in.

yes, of course, but that doesn't really put a dent into these threads sucking out all the energy. people have a limited amount of time and it stifles other topics and the creation of new ones, not to mention dialing up overall combativeness and intolerance (just look at what happened in the joe jonas thread).

It's not that the EU "won't allow" such a deal but rather that it won't agree to the same deal in the forthcoming negotiations, mostly because the nature of our economic relationship with Europe is fundamentally different from that of Canada.

When UK politicians talk about a "Canada style deal" they are effectively saying they want the EU to do us a massive favour at zero cost to us. This is why it's closely followed by talk of an "Australia style deal" because it's basically the UK saying "give us a hugely favourable deal or we will be happy with No Deal". This is all based on a reluctance to acknowledge that we are a relatively weak position in this negotiation.
Just to be clear, I haven’t been talking about the UK having a Canada type deal.

I also haven’t said the govt has tried to hoodwink people into thinking the fallback is a FTA like the EU has with Australia ( that the EU doesn’t have ).

Stephen

Actually Stephen it's the Tories that have chosen No Deal. I haven't voted for any of this insane fcukwittery, nor have you, and nor have millions of other UK residents. Any bad outcome is therefore entirely owned by the Tories.

If Boris does go ahead with this history will forever remember him as the man who destroyed the United Kingdom.

I love this from Gaby Hinsliff in The Guardian:

"Could Downing Street be angling not so much for an Australian or a Canadian or a hard or a soft Brexitas for what might be called a cat’s Brexit?

Anyone who has ever opened a door for a cat that is clearly asking to go out, only for the cat to stay firmly put, knows how this one works. Cats don’t want to go out in the rain and get soaked-through so much as they want the option to go out, freely and sovereignly, at any point without the indignity of squeezing through a catflap. From a cat’s perspective too, doors are an insufferable brake on their global ambitions; but once the door is open, it is the cat’s business whether it just chooses to stay in the warm most of the time.

While humans tolerate this behaviour from cats because we love them, however, it’s less clear the EU has the patience. Frost’s speech upped the ante noticeably by referring to resurgent nationalist feeling across Europe, a hint that blocking British demands for independence might have knock-on effects and that even if nobody else seeks to leave, this might not be the last populist uprising the EU faces.

But if what the prime minister really wants is freedom to diverge, in return for an understanding that neither this nor future governments will exploit that freedom excessively, then that requires a huge leap of European faith in a departing ally that has done little to earn it of late. If what Johnson really wants is for Brussels to trust him, that will take more than smooth talking."

Brexit as a cat refusing the catflap! Brilliant!

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...son-eu-deal-downing-street-negotiator-britain

Stephen
What does the green tick represent?

I love this from Gaby Hinsliff in The Guardian:

"Could Downing Street be angling not so much for an Australian or a Canadian or a hard or a soft Brexitas for what might be called a cat’s Brexit?

Anyone who has ever opened a door for a cat that is clearly asking to go out, only for the cat to stay firmly put, knows how this one works. Cats don’t want to go out in the rain and get soaked-through so much as they want the option to go out, freely and sovereignly, at any point without the indignity of squeezing through a catflap. From a cat’s perspective too, doors are an insufferable brake on their global ambitions; but once the door is open, it is the cat’s business whether it just chooses to stay in the warm most of the time.

While humans tolerate this behaviour from cats because we love them, however, it’s less clear the EU has the patience. Frost’s speech upped the ante noticeably by referring to resurgent nationalist feeling across Europe, a hint that blocking British demands for independence might have knock-on effects and that even if nobody else seeks to leave, this might not be the last populist uprising the EU faces.

But if what the prime minister really wants is freedom to diverge, in return for an understanding that neither this nor future governments will exploit that freedom excessively, then that requires a huge leap of European faith in a departing ally that has done little to earn it of late. If what Johnson really wants is for Brussels to trust him, that will take more than smooth talking."

Brexit as a cat refusing the catflap! Brilliant!

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...son-eu-deal-downing-street-negotiator-britain

Yeah, but as mentioned in that piece, cats are lovable. Brexit is anything but.

advertisement

Back