advertisement

Chord 2Yu USB reclocker

It’s quite possible. The review I posted a link to earlier show that the performance of a Mojo via USB can be substantially improved by using a different source than a PC. But it would all depend on the PC etc. Alternatively you could add a Poly your Mojo and stream to them wirelessly, avoiding USB and PC connections entirely.
Given the intended main use case for Mojo is USB from a phone ... it is a bit disappointing it seems to suffer in this way ...

Chords portable dacs all seem to suffer in this way so if you’re not going to move it around a non portable dac, 2Qute, Qutest, Dave etc, is a better prospect, IMO, than Mojo, Hugo with various upstream gizmos.

Chords portable dacs all seem to suffer in this way so if you’re not going to move it around a non portable dac, 2Qute, Qutest, Dave etc, is a better prospect, IMO, than Mojo, Hugo with various upstream gizmos.
I guess any DAC that gets its power from a noisy computer is going to be susceptible - certainly Paul Miller measured an ifi Audio DAC with the same issue. I agree about trying to avoid the issue first place if you can though. It’ll be interesting to see which way Chord spin the 2Yu. They say it “ can also be used with PCs and Macs via USB to create a high-quality USB-to-digital-audio convertor for audio.”

Hi,
What would be good to see from Hifi News is the jitter experienced from a laptop via a USB hub.

I re-examined the Innuos, and a Texas Instruments USB hub IC datasheet :
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tusb8042a.pdf

Page 19 of the clock generation section (section 8.3.4) shows a 24MHz crystal being used.

In reading the literature for the Innuos it states 24MHz clock - so the implementation is probably a USB Hub IC rather than an XMOS as i referred to in the other thread. All the Innuos is doing is acting as a hub, with a linear power supply.

Noise from the laptop seems to be the issue for jitter degradation - so, why don't people just purchase a USB Hub and add a linear power supply. Rather than purchase a special server, with a special reclocker, all costing many £1,000's, a USB hub costing £30 and the additional cost of a linear power supply will probably do.

Regards,
Shadders.

I guess any DAC that gets its power from a noisy computer is going to be susceptible - certainly Paul Miller measured an ifi Audio DAC with the same issue.
Hi,
Are the DAC's tested all USB powered DAC's ???

EDIT - just checked the Oppo Sonica - is mains powered - so this may be why the performance change from laptop to Melco is less affected.

Regards,
Shadders.

I guess any DAC that gets its power from a noisy computer is going to be susceptible - certainly Paul Miller measured an ifi Audio DAC with the same issue. I agree about trying to avoid the issue first place if you can though. It’ll be interesting to see which way Chord spin the 2Yu. They say it “ can also be used with PCs and Macs via USB to create a high-quality USB-to-digital-audio convertor for audio.”
The Mojo does not get it's power from USB, but rather an internal battery, though of course the battery is charged from USB so you can be charging that battery from USB while separately connected for USB data.

Ah here is the rub, I was intending to use it mobile with phone (USB), for work headphone duties on a laptop (USB), and in main system from CCA (optical) and CDP (coax)!

@Shadders yup when in laptop connection I could get a USB hub and power that separately but not from my phone, though perhaps that application doesn't need to be as hifi anywho

Ah here is the rub, I was intending to use it mobile with phone (USB), for work headphone duties on a laptop (USB), and in main system from CCA (optical) and CDP (coax)!
Check the colossal Mojo thread on headfi - there were issues with RF from some phones making nasty noises with the Mojo when the phone was close. People were advised to keep them in separate pockets iirc! These issues probably led to the development of the Poly.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-mojo-dac-amp-☆★►faq-in-3rd-post-◄★☆.784602/

Did the ASR laptop noise investigation look at jitter on a susceptible dac or just usb line noise?

Just when you thought it was all over ... Chord have announced a little box called the 2Yu. While pitched as an interface between the 2Go streamer and a DAC, it also seems that it can be used standalone as a USB reclocker, USB to s/pdif converter and SRC.

Chord say “2yu alone can also be used with PCs and Macs via USB to create a high-quality USB-to-digital-audio convertor for audio.”

£495. USB in. USB, optical and RCA out. You can run it off a battery no doubt.

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/2yu/
I was hoping for a desktop streamer to match my Qutest case so I'm unimpressed with the the clumsy 2YuGo offering.

The 2Go has similar functionality to the Poly but is twice the price. I'm paying for a battery I don't need which will inevitably fail in time. Will 2Go continue to operate on mains alone with a totally defunct battery?

In theory I should be able to connect the USB output (and the 5 volt power output) from the 2Go directly to my Qutest. Why are Chord forcing me to spend £450 on a 2Yu if I'm not using coax or optical? A simple USB and power pass through should have been provided at minimal extra cost..

The one thing I do like is the onboard micro SD card storage and the ability to act as a server. This mirrors the functionality of my Auralic Aries Mini ( with SSD storage) which is a rock solid streamer and server.

Obviously sound quality is the key issue. I would be particularly interested in a comparison between a 2Go/Hugo2 (£2.8K) and a 2Go/Yu/Qutest (£2.65K). In theory it should be very similar but if the former 2 box combo is better people might be tempted to change their Qutests for Hugo2s and avoid the cost of a 2Yu.

I certainly won't be placing an order any time soon and I own a MojoPoly and Qutest.

I suspect 2Yu is a stop gap and as the Hugo spawned the 2Qute and the Hugo2 the Qutest I would expect a sensible integrated desktop model to follow once Chord have profited from the initial surge of interest.

A £500 tariff to be able to use the 2 Go with anything other than Hugo 2 ?

As for the Hugo 2 , it pandered to the portability side of things too much for me. When used in a conventional hifi home set up, the amount of inputs was miserly and required unorthodox connectors for the coaxial and USB inputs.

You can't even use top quality RCA interconnects on the device, due to the obsession with keeping things as tiny as possible.

Some bizarre Chord product design if i may say so.

I’ve bought two Hugos so far. The mk1 is still a great sounding device.
Yep, the Mark 1 was and I am sure is still great sounding. When I plopped one in my system it replaced a more expensive DAC and I stopped believing all well-engineered DACs sound the same blah-blah.

Looks like Chord have discovered the naim marketing strategy. Otherwise, whatever.

I visited the Chord Electronics stand at the Bristol show; my interest was to understand the 2yu/2go combination with the Hugo TT2 - this was my main reason for going to Bristol. They also had a Hugo2 with 2go as the other working exhibit.

To clear up some misconceptions on this and another forum, which information I got directly from the Chord engineers on the stand:-
  • The 2Yu is NOT a reclocker, it is primarily an interface device.
  • The 2Go cannot be accessed directly via it's micro USB interfaces by devices other than the 2Yu (I expect some people will try workarounds)
  • The 2Go will be available in March, and the 2Yu in April.

Retail prices are already up on some retailer's web shops so I won't repeat them here.

The source I listened to was a MacBook Air, on battery, running roon and linked to the AP wireless network broadcast by the 2Go. So the chain was: Roon (MBA)-> AP wifi -> 2Go -> 2Yu -> TT2-> Headphones.

The sound quality was "good", but not outstanding, in that environment. I would need to hear this setup again with an ethernet connection from a 'quieter' roon core, and/or in a quieter environment to be more certain of the outcome. I would also be interested to hear and use the 2go playing from the onboard SD card(s) socket. For this price level for a 'fixed' (i.e. non-portable) system it would be sensible to compare this combination with similarly priced streamers (or cheaper streamers with an upgraded power supply).

I would suggest that the 'other' use case of the 2go/Hugo2 for a (semi) portable or a second system setup would be a better alignment (I did not listen to this). A year ago I had a Hugo 2 and I was living in two locations each week, and if that were still the case, I would certainly be looking at the 2Go more closely.

It will be interesting to see if Chord extend their streamer range in the future.

advertisement

Back