advertisement

Chord 2Yu USB reclocker

Which technical statements on this thread are not credible in your view?

Hi,

You have made some assumptions and have then tried to pour scorn based on those assumptions. Where does this bitter and twisted attitude spring from that makes you try to ridicule the work of mainstream manufacturers? Did you learn anything from the thread started by @Cereal Killer?

Regards,
Fourlegs.

Last edited:
Hi,

You and your mate Shadders have made some assumptions and have then tried to pour scorn based on those assumptions. Where does this bitter and twisted attitude spring from that makes the two of you try to ridicule the work of mainstream manufacturers? Did neither of you learn anything from the thread started by @Cereal Killer?

Regards,
Fourlegs.
I see no scorn and no assumptions. I’ve mostly quoted the Chord literature, I’ve been a bit confused about some things, Shadders has said nice things about the value for money of the 2Yu and increased my understanding of the things I was confused about, and as I’m a DAVE/M Scaler owner I’m quite likely to give it a shot. Where’s the ridicule? You and I think at least one other DAVE owner were getting excited about a 3rd party reclocker/regenerator. Aren’t you interested in a Chord solution that appears to do more at a fifth of the price? I may well be. I am interested in the 2Go as well, though I’d prefer a single box 2Go/2yu solution without SD cards for static use at home. What on earth is ridiculing or scornful about that?

Hi,

You and your mate Shadders have made some assumptions and have then tried to pour scorn based on those assumptions. Where does this bitter and twisted attitude spring from that makes the two of you try to ridicule the work of mainstream manufacturers? Did neither of you learn anything from the thread started by @Cereal Killer?

Regards,
Fourlegs.
Defensive, precious and ad hom all in one. Bravo.

Hi,

Regards,
Fourlegs.

The question was “Which technical statements on this thread are not credible in your view?”

Do you have a better answer than accusing me of being bitter and twisted?

hmm, this looks very interesting. Been considering an upgrade to my usb to spdif converter which I use with a Densen B440xs. Much cheaper than an Alpha USB and given Chords quality reckon it's probably as good.

The chord bumpf clearly states it contains a src so it reclocks, therefore it's a reclocker. Theres no statement made about pass through ability in the literature so one may tend to assume all data is reclocked.

I'd consider it a standards converter and upsampler. Seems like it makes the 2go a more versatile device that'll work with any other dac and turn it into a none chord specific streamer.

I don't see any claims for improved sound quality in the literature, only this combined claim.

"Adding 2go to Hugo 2, creates the most sonically advanced compact music streamer available today."

Given that's a specification claim, and that the hugo2 contains a unique mobile fpga platform with more filter taps than anything else in its class it's a perfectly reasonable one.

I cant see why anyone would be upset by Chord,'s positioning of this product. Frankly to do so seems somewhat irrational.

Surely reason that some people have taken issue is that devices like the Innuos Phoenix are actually presented as reclockers, whereas the Chord isn't. Clearly it reclocks the signal, but that's not its primary purpose.

Surely reason that some people have taken issue is that devices like the Innuos Phoenix are actually presented as reclockers, whereas the Chord isn't. Clearly it reclocks the signal, but that's not its primary purpose.

That was my issue and the way I interpreted the thread.

@AndyU Having read the rest of your posts on this thread I realise you weren't trolling so I apologise for accusing you of that.

People took issue with the claim that providing a reclocked signal to an asynchronous dac was beneficial to sound quality. Unless the asynchronous dac is broken additional reclocking beforehand does nothing as the clock is discarded when it is finally reclocked. The benefit is in the clean 5v supply only.

One could reclock it a million times, it makes no difference, only the final reclock matters.

USB can sound different. Jitter isn’t the issue here though with modern asynchronous front-ends. It is common-mode & RF noise, “computer and networking noise” in this case, which comprise the potential issues.

Regarding USB audibility (outside of computer hardware and software issues), this IMHO only occurs when the DAC’s USB front end is not properly isolated and filtered (as well as being isolated inside the unit). This is very important, because you don’t want the USB front-end spewing noise and distortion into the DAC circuits.

So, I think those filter dongle thingies (probably common-mode filters) would help more in such cases. :)

USB can sound different. Jitter isn’t the issue here though with modern asynchronous front-ends. It is common-mode & RF noise, “computer and networking noise” in this case, which comprise the potential issues.

Regarding USB audibility (outside of computer hardware and software issues), this IMHO only occurs when the DAC’s USB front end is not properly isolated and filtered (as well as being isolated inside the unit). This is very important, because you don’t want the USB front-end spewing noise and distortion into the DAC circuits.

So, I think those filter dongle thingies (probably common-mode filters) would help more in such cases. :)

Which begs the ongoing question 'why bother with usb, when you have coax digital that is by design unencumbered by potential noise that can hamper usb performance?

Because hi designers know better seems to have been the nonsensical mantra elsewhere. A more stern parent type " because we do and we know best" response seems to be an answer.

The hi fi industry latched onto usb sime years ago, as they sought to move away from 80s CDP integrated DAC chips and early SPIDF transfers. No-one knows the real reasons for persisting with usb, whilst selling more stuff to cure the problems with usb, but it's certainly driving some very high margin sales.

Hi,
For the power supply part of it - are there cables that allow the power part to be provided by another (linear, SMPS) power supply ?
Looking a bit more carefully at the power supply aspects of it, it has a micro-usb input. But when it is connected to the 2Go streamer, this micro-USB input is used by the micro-USB output of the 2Go. The 2Go can be run from its own internal battery, so it looks like the whole 2Go/2Yu package can be run from the internal battery in the 2Go. I would have thought that if you are looking for an inherently quiet source, this combination should be on your list if you have the money. No noisy HDDs or SSDs, no heavy Roon Core processor, battery powered ..

Excluding abject rubbish like the Schit products, can anyone point to a USB dac that has obvious problem with noise? I cant ever remember seeing one, though I'm sure they do exist, dont they?

Excluding abject rubbish like the Schit products, can anyone point to a USB dac that has obvious problem with noise? I cant ever remember seeing one, though I'm sure they do exist, dont they?

No I can’t, and I’ve run a few DACs over the years.

You mentioned Schitt stuff with maybe some scorn. No direct experience, but I have run some cheapy battery usb decent DACs that I also consider quiet and great value.
The Fiio products and most recently, the Shanlibg DACs are very good at the price points. Both as battery and as usb from pc. Ditto Dragonfly.

Here’s a review of a Melco server that shows that it produces measurably substantially less jitter than a laptop into a Chord Mojo and an iFIAudio iDSD. I think Paul Miller has made similar measurements with the Roon Nucleus and the Project Stream Box S2 Ultra. The John Westlake designed Project box is in some ways similar to the Chord package - its a Roon endpoint with nothing heavy duty going on inside it, but it does claim to have detoxed USB.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/melco-n10-n10pps10-network-audio-library-lab-report

Here’s a review of a Melco server that shows that it produces measurably substantially less jitter than a laptop into a Chord Mojo and an iFIAudio iDSD. I think Paul Miller has made similar measurements with the Roon Nucleus and the Project Stream Box S2 Ultra. The John Westlake designed Project box is in some ways similar to the Chord package - its a Roon endpoint with nothing heavy duty going on inside it, but it does claim to have detoxed USB.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/melco-n10-n10pps10-network-audio-library-lab-report

This is the clincher in that article:

"The jitter suppression and/or galvanic isolation of the attached USB DAC is a factor here, so a DAC with excellent data recovery/re-clocking may not express a significant difference."

Not entirely surprised to see the Mojo in that article as being sensitive to the USB input.

Does that mean when running a Mojo from e.g. a PC USB port it might benefit from a USB reclocking thingy bob? Just asking for a friend ... ;)

Does that mean when running a Mojo from e.g. a PC USB port it might benefit from a USB reclocking thingy bob? Just asking for a friend ... ;)
It’s quite possible. The review I posted a link to earlier show that the performance of a Mojo via USB can be substantially improved by using a different source than a PC. But it would all depend on the PC etc. Alternatively you could add a Poly your Mojo and stream to them wirelessly, avoiding USB and PC connections entirely.

advertisement

Back