advertisement

what is wrong in this picture?

You carefully ignore the part of the definition that notes it is a ‘derogatory’ term.

no, i don't ignore that at all. it is definitely a derogatory term referencing style choices and vanity. it's not a generalization about all people of mediterranean descent. it only applies to a tiny percentage and it actually transcends nationality -- and race, as lewis hamilton proves.

The definition specifically mentions that it’s a Canadian/American term. You’ve mentioned two large cities. Are you quite sure you’re as well up with the nuanced flow of language as you think you are?

i am as sure as with the rest of my language use. i also read more newspapers and magazines than the average person, so probably above the norm.

You do seem to take a very denigrating attitude towards certain groups?.

wealthy celebrity elites making a spectacle of themselves?

Case in point being starting a thread to criticise someone’s fashion sense, then using a derogatory slang term to describe the male in the picture.

yes, a derogatory slang term for a particular fashion look.

as for the ethnicity of joe jonas:

"He has German, English, Scottish, Irish, Italian/Sicilian (from a great-grandfather), French-Canadian, and Cherokee Native American ancestry. He is related to congressmen Charles A. Jonas (1876-1955), and his son, Charles R. Jonas (1904-1988), of North Carolina."

no, i don't ignore that at all. it is definitely a derogatory term referencing style choices and vanity. it's not a generalization about all people of mediterranean descent. it only applies to a tiny percentage and it actually transcends nationality -- and race, as lewis hamilton proves.

So with another snide dig, this time at someone who is black, you are willing to again deny that your behaviour is racist?

Has this thread passed you by?

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/caroline-flack-has-died.237353/page-4#post-3896672

So with another snide dig, this time at someone who is black, you are willing to again deny that your behaviour is racist?

oh please -- do you really believe that?

do i really have to explain it? i f*cking said explicitly that the concept transcends even race -- the point was to hammer home that it's fundamentally about fashion, NOT ethnicity.

So, to recap; bloke caught using racist term on the internet (after many years of using homophobic terms etc) swiftly attempts to redefine said term on the fly...

as for the ethnicity of joe jonas:

"He has German, English, Scottish, Irish, Italian/Sicilian (from a great-grandfather), French-Canadian, and Cherokee Native American ancestry. He is related to congressmen Charles A. Jonas (1876-1955), and his son, Charles R. Jonas (1904-1988), of North Carolina."
Surely, it must be ok to have referred to him as that bitch's mutt, instead, then?;)

I do see where you are coming from wrt style vs. ethnicity, however, you'd have to be quite thick to believe that many won't construe it as racism, when such terms are used, full stop.

So, to recap; bloke caught using racist term

key word "caught". have you looked up mémère yet? the quebec version.

i used the term openly and explained why it is not racist. even if, playing devil's advocate, i accept that it could be construed that way, it would be amount to an act of "racism" against myself.

so i am being racist against myself? is my very close italian friend who uses it also racist? actually, are all the people i knew at university racists? it's nothing at all like words you compare it to. it's about a particular, uncommon style, not a generalization about a group.

Is 'guido' a racist or racially derogative term?

oh please -- do you really believe that?

do i really have to explain it? i f*cking said explicitly that the concept transcends even race -- the point was to hammer home that it's fundamentally about fashion, NOT ethnicity.

That really isn’t what all the internet definitions say. Isn’t it easier to say I’m wrong sometimes?
Also it’s shocking bad form to go back and edit your posts after people have replied to them!

Is 'guido' a racist or racially derogative term?

based on my very limited knowledge (have never actually heard it used, barring some ancient hollywood film) and the original era, i'd say it's definitely derogatory and i'm pretty sure it's italian-specific.

That really isn’t what all the internet definitions say. Isn’t it easier to say I’m wrong sometimes?

internet definition? i lived in the place and generation that coined the term. what is the point of this? it's not a term that is really current and i am telling you precisely what i mean and how people around me have all used it. if you think it exposes some other hidden, sinister intent, why don't you just ask me about that directly? i'm pretty open and willing to discuss just about anything.

what i still don't get is why, even if we go by your internet definition and i accept the most extreme version (which i do not), a person like me of mediterranean descent (plus hairy chest) can't use a word like that the way a gay person says queer. this isn't the reality, but simply a reductio ad absurdum.

Also it’s shocking bad form to go back and edit your posts after people have replied to them!

sorry. i only added to post and lost track of things a bit. i have more important things in life to deal with.

vuk said:
based on my very limited knowledge (have never actually heard it used, barring some ancient hollywood film) and the original era, i'd say it's definitely derogatory and i'm pretty sure it's italian-specific.

Not sure why my post was deleted but I'll try again.

Given your limited knowledge of these phrases do you think you may have been incorrectly using or understanding the term?

In other areas, terms such as "Gino" (Toronto) have a meaning similar to guido.

You, you, shortist you!
I knew people who worked for the head of the U.K. subsidiary of a European company, he was called Nigel. A middle aged alcoholic with a bubble perm and heel lifts who parked his Porsche in hotel disabled bays. This was before Alan Partridge was a thing.

advertisement

Back