advertisement

What's the hifi?

Young at 70 :) You should check my Tannoy build thread...three posts in andI’m ‘Neanderthal’ for using mixed measurements.

LOL!

I make a point of using feet & inches whenever the “Millennial” daughters are around. And I’ve set up the Audi’s temperatures to display in Fahrenheit - that also winds up my wife, which must be considered to be a real “six pointer”!

And as they say (whoever “they’ are):

“Don’t mess with old people. We don’t like being old and it don’t take much to really p1ss us off!” :D:D:D:D

On the BBC midlands weather forecast they regularly state wind speeds in mph and rainfall in mm. Still, they haven't yet worked out what a sentence is or how to use a colon.

Young at 70 :) You should check my Tannoy build thread...three posts in andI’m ‘Neanderthal’ for using mixed measurements.
It's not Neanderthal at all, it's the way engineering works. St andard bike chain s are 1" . Not 25.4 mm, but 1" . Dairy pipe is sold in metre lengths of 1" , 2" , 3" etc. I think it's copper or brass that is still in imperial sizes, so it goes on.

The speakers kind of look like Scan Dyna

I had never heard of these speakers but got a pair on free cycle alon with a wonderful 70s sony amp. Delighted I was.

These speakers sound great, very warm though which suits my lad and his style of music.

0082zybpgy1gbyr3jdlokj30qo0zkk3x.jpg

Those are lovely, Gary,

Scan-Dyna produced the early Dynaco speakers for, er...Dynaco (US)

Last edited:
They are certainly well made sort of Mid Range quality I would say but pretty heavy and the drivers look good, has a knob on the back for adjusting the crossover, the lad likes it as bass as possible, didn't we all back then lol.

Yeah, those were the days.

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!
Now here it is with the Dolby turned on...

BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

The A-25 crossover ran the woofer full range, with a single 5uF capacitor on the tweeter and a switchable L-pad tweeter attenuator.

I really enjoyed my A25s, then stupidly sold them to buy speakers with ‘trendy’ plastic cones.
Oh, the mistakes we make in our youth...

We may not have had aircon vents like that but we did have warm air central heating vents that looked like that at my mother’s house in the early 70’s.
When I got married in the late 70's our first house had the same central heating vents as are shown in that picture, I hated it.

I really like good ‘70s design, kind of ‘50s brutalism made domestically acceptable and functional. I keep my eye out for some nice stuff of that era. The room and system in the first post look excellent IMO. I’d prefer a more upmarket deck (TD-125, Transcriptors Ref, SL-120 or whatever), but I bet it sounds great! Certainly a good receiver and speakers.

PS I have a lava lamp, obvs. Actually got two.

I really like good ‘70s design, kind of ‘50s brutalism made domestically acceptable and functional. I keep my eye out for some nice stuff of that era. The room and system in the first post look excellent IMO. I’d prefer a more upmarket deck (TD-125, Transcriptors Ref, SL-120 or whatever), but I bet it sounds great! Certainly a good receiver and speakers.

Didn't you used to have a studio Tony? We all know proper pro studios have at least one lava lamp.

Best to stock up on 40W incandescent appliance bulbs, before they get legislated out then, Tony.

My elderly cousin was kind enough to give to me her original '60s Lava Lamp, purchased new when she got her first apartment. It is the 'Starlight' version with the pin-holes in the base, gold painted finish, and bakelite bottom plate; a wonderful thing that I coveted since first visiting with her as a schoolboy. Amazingly, she had never changed the bulb since this was new! Regardless, every other time I happen to be browsing the Dollar Store, I add another 40W bulb to my growing collection, just in case.

Didn't you used to have a studio Tony? We all know proper pro studios have at least one lava lamp.

I didn’t have a lava lamp when I co-ran a little studio, which thinking about it is clearly why it failed as a business! D’oh!

Best to stock up on 40W incandescent appliance bulbs, before they get legislated out then, Tony.

I actually thought about that and have a box of about 20 in the cellar!

A friend of mine has a Transcriptors Ref with a Pioneer SX-850 and a pair of Linn Keilidhs. Those old Pioneer receivers are really capable pieces of kit when fully serviced (I serviced my friend’s unit).

advertisement

Back