advertisement

Star Trek: Picard

I enjoyed ep. 4 somewhat more than the previous episodes. Which was nice.

But, slightly unusually, my Trek memory is failing me (partially because I never did get quite as into Voyager as TNG and DS9, and can't remember its ending very well). How would Picard have known 7 of 9?

He would still have been in Star Fleet when Voyager returned. He may have even debriefed Seven of Nine, since they're both ex-Borg.

Jean-Luc was assimilated by the Borg when Seven of Nine was a Borg. She would know of him (and Locutus) through her link with the larger Borg collective.

Jean-Luc likely also knows of Seven of Nine because Voyager returned to Earth and surely an ex-Borg passenger picked up along the way would be known to Starfleet officers, especially one who was once a Borg himself.

I’m sure there’s more to the story. But that they know of each other’s existence shouldn’t be surprising.

Joe

Jean-Luc was assimilated by the Borg when Seven of Nine was a Borg. She would know of him (and Locutus) through her link with the larger Borg collective.

Jean-Luc likely also knows of Seven of Nine because Voyager returned to Earth and surely an ex-Borg passenger picked up along the way would be known to Starfleet officers, especially one who was once a Borg himself.

I’m sure there’s more to the story. But that they know of each other’s existence shouldn’t be surprising.

Joe

Oh yeah I can head cannon it (presumably until next week, at least). And she’d likely know of him as Locutus.

I was just establishing that there’s not some meeting I’d forgotten about.

Dave,

You are right about a meeting between the two of them that we know of, but I suspect we will learn more next week. The new series is about 20 years after the last Trek movie so all sorts of things have happened that will be revealed in the fullness of time.

Joe

Seriously, I hope the plot starts to become a little clearer, for me anyway.

What ever happened to the real StarTreck?

Well, I caught up last night, and I have to say it's rather good. I expect some of the hardcore trekkies will be enjoying the in-jokes, some of which I've picked up on, but a good storyline so far.

Nero,

There’s a Romulan bloke by that name — Nero — who figures prominently in the Romulan rescue.

Joe

@Joe P

i've been corresponding recently with an old friend in chicago, who i rank as the #1 earth challenger to your ST geekiness. or it may be the other way around /o\

here is a quote from an email message:

"Yes, Elizabeth and I have indulged in the Picard show. We had prepared ourselves by watching every episode of TNG in order, and we only just finished last month!

We watched Picard episode 3 last night. Generally speaking, I like it quite a bit, especially all the call-backs to the earlier era, from overt character and event references to the use of musical cues. I am thrilled to watch Patrick Stewart perform. I liked that the "assembling the crew" cliché took a bit of time with proper introductions to the crew members. The complaint we both have is that it takes a lot of effort to keep track of all the threads in this multi-episode arc. We both long for the simplicity of old episodic TV. With TOS, just one primary plot with some comic relief; with TNG, the obligatory A plot + B plot. (We enjoyed playing the game on TNG of: "is that Really the B plot? Oh god, I guess it is!")"

what i would like to do is organize a star trek showdown between the two of you. maybe in a cage. it would be a match like nothing ever witnessed in the history of the universe.

Vuk,

maybe in a cage. it would be a match like nothing ever witnessed in the history of the universe.

Maybe we are in a cage — The Cage!

dbf6979f6b2b3ab4a4836bb63bcdb90e.jpg

Joe

@Joe P

just so i can get morning line correct for the cage match, did you do anything comparable to watching all of TNG with wife in preparation for ST picard?

P.S. And look at my avatar. It’s DJ Spock and he’s giving the Vulcan salute while scratching on a table.

advertisement

Back