advertisement

Hiraga Le Monstre

Not exactly 'KISS', but does look awesome

if you want “KISS” and low cost, build the original JLH on stripboard, costs buttons and within its limitations, it’s not perfect by any means, offers a genuinely good sound that does nothing offensive and a lot of things very well indeed.

Let me know if you need any help Steve (says the man who has sat on an NCC300 project for quite a long time :oops:).

The question is how well matched are the components?

I would think that the SLB PCB would be a much better option for the PSU.

Is there anything to match up once you've built the boards? Any setup work with the PSU?

What do folks think of this build? I *may* be able to get hold of it, at a fair price. Assuming it is in working order, are there any obvious flaws that might require a re-build?

Seems a little short on heat-sinking, or is there not so much required for 8W?

The builder claims 'Genuine Toshiba Paired Transistors 2SD1148; 2SB863' are used.

monster1 by Ian Thel, on Flickr

monster2 by Ian Thel, on Flickr

monster3 by Ian Thel, on Flickr

monster4 by Ian Thel, on Flickr

monster5 by Ian Thel, on Flickr

Mmm. Not very nice, and no batteries at sight. I’d give it a wide berth, unless very cheap.

The centre left capacitor doesn't look too healthy; the vent looks popped and the plastic outer cracked.

There's all sorts of good reasons (and comapratively-easy ways) to avoid the use of batteries ... and the use of SLA batteries are not what makes Hiraga's design special, by any means, quite the opposite - an antediluvian premise.

fascinating. I love the weirdo/outlier pieces.

just curious about one thing - i haven't really thought of damping factor for a long time - i guess one might assume that a 'transparent' amplifier might have a poor damping factor? or is it usually the opposite? I'm taking 'damping' to be what gives and amplifier it's sense of 'control' over the speaker drivers?

is this some kind of revenge on the 'climate change' conservation crowd ...? a new generation of super inefficient amps?

There's all sorts of good reasons (and comapratively-easy ways) to avoid the use of batteries ... and the use of SLA batteries are not what makes Hiraga's design special, by any means, quite the opposite - an antediluvian premise.
I was there at the time of the original design. Jean Hiraga and the l’Audiophile mag team were adamant about the use of batteries. The amp design itself was nothing revolutionary.

advertisement

Back