advertisement

What's the hifi?

This may be the case but they have mixed up quite a few periods in that picture. 1960's furniture, possibly earlier. 1970's Hi-Fi and yet the speakers look a bit 60's. Pictures on the wall from the 50's and 60's and so it goes on. Usually when a recreation of a period is produced they tend to focus all the design on the era they are trying to recreate which is not how most of us live as we gather stuff over time. If it is a set up photo, its a good one.
Yep, it may indeed be somebody’s actual living space.

As stated it isn't Ladderax. Got mine in about 1975, a 2ft stack and a 3ft one. My hifi lived on it ( Sugden A48, R21, LP 12 & N EAL102).

Was lucky enough to get some 3ft shelves to join them up before production stopped. It has been in three houses. Now residing my study but no longer supporting the hifi

Wow I once had the same system then! except that it was a NEAL 103...

The stereo is fully wired up, including a folded dipole going up the shelves in the middle.

Absolutely no one had their Dynacos on tall oak pedestal speaker stands in the 1970s. If they weren't jammed into the shelves, they'd have been plonked directly on the floors.

It's likely the hipster lounge of an acquaintance of the photog who is selling to Getty Images.

Last edited:
The stereo is fully wired up, include a folded dipole going up the shelves in the middle.

Absolutely no one had their Dynacos on tall oak pedestal speaker stands in the 1970s. If they weren't jammed into the shelves, they'd have been plonked directly on the floors.

It's likely the hipster lounge of an acquaintance of the photog. who is selling to Getty Images.

I had my Dynaco speakers on pedestal stands back in the 1970s.
Not oak ones, but they definitely weren’t ‘jammed’ on shelves or sitting on the floor.

You trend setter, Martyn!

Mine were on plastic milk crates. Of course, these were nicked from Sealtest Dairy via a Mac's Milk store (aka, the scene of the crime). These did double (triple?) duty as record storage and transport between home and uni, back before we all went metric over here.

Someone call the Mounties, I've become a 1%'er!
s-l300.jpg

The Guardian article published photo is 1920 x 1372 pixels, 72 pixels/inch. Credit given to Momo Productions/Getty Images.

‘We all went metric’ I wonder about that...

I worked in a Chemistry Dept. and Research Workers late in the Nineties were still
asking for a vessel 6” long and 60mm in dia.

My favourite story was the man who went to the Woodyard and asked for some timber 50mm x 50mm, trying to be ‘up to date’ on measurement.
The guy behind the counter said, ‘Ah, you’ll be wanting some 2 be 2 planed down !’

It is not Ladderax but Poul Cadovius - Royal System shelving unit.

I wonder if the left and right speaker cables are swapped over?

Last edited:
and DEF not ladderax...the clue is in the name...a ladder structured metal frame which I had in my bedroom :)

There is a ladderax corner in the lounge of the home in which we kids grew up (my bro still lives there), complete with early ‘70’s Garrard/Sansui Receiver/Goodmans hifi. And the rest of the furniture in the lounge is G-Plan!

That’s young people for you. I’m certainly old enough to remember going down to my local timber merchant and buying “3 metres of 3 by 2” LOL
Young at 70 :) You should check my Tannoy build thread...three posts in andI’m ‘Neanderthal’ for using mixed measurements.

advertisement

Back