advertisement

What's the hifi?

the best quote by far,
Hi,
Is it an old photograph, or a new photograph of someone in an old decorated room etc ?.

Regards,
Shadders.

There are some large horn speakers in the recent film ‘Birds of Prey’ - they look rather like the sort of thing Oswald Mills makes - but they aren’t..... so what are they?

TT looks like an upmarket Dual. The rack is a 1970s/80s Ladderax much beloved of student accomodation.

As stated it isn't Ladderax. Got mine in about 1975, a 2ft stack and a 3ft one. My hifi lived on it ( Sugden A48, R21, LP 12 & N EAL102).

Was lucky enough to get some 3ft shelves to join them up before production stopped. It has been in three houses. Now residing my study but no longer supporting the hifi

I was watching the Oscar winning Parasite the other night. (great film) The wealthy Korean family had a fairly ambitious stereo (in a lovely house) which incorporated some large Lowther based horns with what looked like Onken cabinets beneath (don't know the brand) an unknown SE valve amp & an Analogue Works Zero TT with Jelco arm. I'd be interested to know what the speakers are.

49535065193_1cc0fccfd3_o.jpg

49535029703_9af1607378_o.jpg

that photo predates 1984 by at least 15-20 years

I know that you don't like to be wrong and hate even more being contradicted but.. you're wrong.

I guarantee that that photo was taken within the last year. There are several 'tells'.

I know that you don't like to be wrong and hate even more being contradicted but.. you're wrong.

I guarantee that that photo was taken within the last year. There are several 'tells'.

Yes, I'd say a recent pic obviously staged to look like the past.

So we know it was taken between the date the Pioneer receiver came out (late 70s) and now. But there are some details that make it seem less staged to me. It looks like there's a small wire running up behind the cabinet from the receiver. Maybe the AM antenna? I wouldn't imagine someone would put that there if it was staged. It looks like my great aunt's living room in the 80s-00s, a mid century modern time capsule.

Yes, I'd say a recent pic obviously staged to look like the past.
This may be the case but they have mixed up quite a few periods in that picture. 1960's furniture, possibly earlier. 1970's Hi-Fi and yet the speakers look a bit 60's. Pictures on the wall from the 50's and 60's and so it goes on. Usually when a recreation of a period is produced they tend to focus all the design on the era they are trying to recreate which is not how most of us live as we gather stuff over time. If it is a set up photo, its a good one.

advertisement

Back