advertisement

SKY 3 year offer too good to be true? I'm severely tempted.

That’s very interesting.

All the engineers say that only one wireless Sky booster is advisable in the system and I have confirmed this by adding another which screwed things up even more. I’ve even stopped using an Airport Express in case that was interfering but with no improvement.
Im a bit stuck because my long drive is not something that I want Virgin to make a mess of, and no one seems to have a good word about them anyway!
I’ve been in Spain for a while and have decided to deal with Sky on my return next week.

We ended up with 2 boosters but had 3 before they mapped it. Current set up works better for Mrs C who has a home office at the furthest point away from the router. I had to temporarily hard wire her iMac as wifi was hopeless there. Now it is a strong and reliable signal.

Check that you have the latest router, only came out a month or two back. Boosters are a new design too. Both introduced with the new guaranteed service and our engineer changed ours when mapping.

We had Sky for donkey's years, and there's no doubt its interface is superb, but I got royally fed up with having to negotiate over the cost every year. I'd end up cancelling, then a couple of weeks later Sky would come back with an offer that was the same as I was after in the first place! Absolutely no reward for loyalty.

Being out in the sticks, we were most surprised when BT installed fibre down our little lane, and we now have 300Mb Broadband, which has proved rock-solid over the last nearly three years. For reasons unclear, we can't use another provider for the FTTP, and having previously sworn to never touch BT again with a long Sh*tty stick based on past experience, I've been pleasantly surprised with how good they've been so far. I've phoned a couple of times about my package and they've been very efficient and helpful. The BT router is really super, with an excellent wi-fi range.

We were supplied with a BT Freeview 4K box, which whilst not quite up to the Sky offering is nevertheless very useable. I particularly like the Freeview thing whereby you can pick any program on the planner from the last week or so & it'll let you watch it. I think you have to consider carefully exactly what you want to watch, and whether you actually need to record lots of stuff. I now tend to use iPlayer etc. & can't be bothered to mess about with the recording side of things.

After some searching last night it looks like BT might be the best deal for us this time, unlimited use, up to 73mbs broadband and 500 minutes landline for £15 less than the new price for Virgin (unlimited, 100mbs, no minutes, no sport). Fixed for 2 years too. Might sneak BT sport on to that deal for an extra £10 and hope SWMBO doesn’t notice...

They use it to find out where to place (unlimited) boosters anywhere they are needed, s

My Sky install engineer said the system would only work with one booster. I have one room that is on the edge a bit and asked for a second booster but he said it was not possible.

I agree about the high standard of the engineers, he did not leave until I was happy and gave me his own mobile number and insisted I call him the next day to tell him how it was going.

Recently had a mail-shot from Sky offering unlimited bb, TV via satellite dish and anytime calls incl. mobiles. £26 p. mth, guaranteed for 3 years AND keep my phone number. Set-up fee £25, which is fine.

Been with Virgin for a decade or more, and our m'thly cost is going up to £45.50 for 30 gig. bb + the same. That's a swingeing increase, which they frequently try on every year or 18 months.

Am hesitant to ditch Virgin but our recorder box is a joke (records stuff by itself and we need 2 remotes for vol. + other facilities. Otherwise it's good, reliable (apart from loss of internet for short periods on occasion) and 30 gig. is okay.

Seems too good to be true; is it? I have little knowledge of these things and wouldn't change if Virgin recognised loyalty. Chap phoning back on Saturday afternoon. Obs. shall phone Virgin (again!) to negotiate but they simply delay increases (as they did in September) or offer some other half-eaten carrot.

Any advice welcome please.
I was going to change to Sky bb last year. I signed up but before the transfer they increased the price by £2 a month so i cancelled and signed with Plusnet.

advertisement

Back