advertisement

First Album on with new kit.

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
..... It's a ritual with me. New item of kit or new system.... The first album played must be ABCs Lexicon of Love.
Do you have a first to be played album?

It tends to be one of a small group for me, but Hearts and Bones is probably the one I've used the most.

Still having a tape deck I made recordings of a couple of tracks from it before buying a phono stage, then again after and again with a new turntable. Trouble is I don't like listening to a track more than once so haven't played through it.

Last edited:
..... It's a ritual with me. New item of kit or new system.... The first album played must be ABCs Lexicon of Love.
Do you have a first to be played album?
On vinyl?

Wow that’s a tricky one. One if my favs btw. ESP the Anne Dudly strings and Trevor horn production layering. But it’s vety 80s brittle too, and can be tiresome.

Love it tho

The song I often start with is Pacman from Alain Caron : F bass, Yamaha drum and trumpet.
If it doesn’t sound great with this one, it won’t work for me !
Radar love from Golden Earing is a similar test I run quite often.

Kind of Blue every time - as I know every nuance of the recording inside out. It lets me see if anything has changed and its amazing how the textures and air around the instruments emerge as new kit runs in.

Kind of Blue every time - as I know every nuance of the recording inside out. It lets me see if anything has changed and its amazing how the textures and air around the instruments emerge as new kit runs in.

Same here, Flamenco Sketches, especially. Also Sonny Rollins' God bless the child, the opening root-fifth-octave pattern on the bass is a good way to see how coherently and consistently the system can articulate lower bass. There's also a bit of string noise (about 15" in, IIRC), that isn't always audible.

I normally choose from the following vinyl (audiophile pressings)
Dave Brubeck - Take Five
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
Miles Davis - Jack Johnson

Massive Attack - Mezzanine on either LP or digital, to suit.
Then anything current that I’ve played a lot and am familiar with. Currently that would be Caravan Palace or Christine and the Queens.

Tom Petty. 'Wildflowers.' I love the Rick Rubin production and playing. Wonderful tunes. RR is also quoted as saying that this is the only one of his recordings that he ever listens to, and does so when he is auditioning new hi fi.

Joan Armatrading eponymous. I just love the Glyn Johns production and overall performance/material. I don't have a TT these days, but this is deffo one for vinyl. The fact my late dad worked for A&M records and I met JA a few times when i was a kid (she was a lovely and kind btw) also personalises this for me.

Pink Floyd 'Final Cut' - I've played it so many times I can remember all the nuances so a good test.

Paranoid Eyes , it's my most played track , the gravel crunching as he walks to the pub , pool balls striking , first thing I play when there is a change in kit .

Ten New Songs, L Cohen, obviously.....
giphy.gif

Always the Dead's Mountains Of The Moon > Dark Star from 27.02.1969 (Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings), generally followed by Forever Changes.

advertisement

Back