advertisement

Boris Johnson - freebie £15,000 holiday

Still wondering if we will ever hear anything more about the Jennifer Arcuri affair and what money she received. Just add it to the list of things that don't stick to teflon.

Of course there is the possibility that it wasn't actually paid for by anyone; I've had a few holidays with friends for free.

UK politics is amongst the most corrupt on the planet IMHO. Sure, they are expected to declare bribes, shills, directorships, shares etc, hence the ‘list’, but really many of them are little more than paid corporate lobbyists working as MPs as a front actually earning far more from their other employment and backhanders. As an example it is fascinating to check just how many Tory MPs have stakes in private healthcare, i.e. directly benefit personally from the party’s tradition of running the NHS into the ground. Same with arms and other industries, hence the government desire to sell mass killing devices and services to brutal dictatorships such as Saudi etc.

Of course there is the possibility that it wasn't actually paid for by anyone; I've had a few holidays with friends for free.

so Johnson is lying when his register of interests says Mr Ross donated accommodation "for a private holiday for my partner and me, value £15,000".

Mind you Pfeffel has form. He has been censured 10 times for failing to declare financial interests whilst an elected official.

so Johnson is lying when his register of interests says Mr Ross donated accommodation "for a private holiday for my partner and me, value £15,000".

It might be possible that he was staying at accommodation that Ross owned perhaps i.e. it'd have been £15K's worth it he'd had to pay for it, but no-one did.

Someone actually paying for his holiday would seem a massive conflict of interest though. I used to work with a lot of public sector companies and in most of them you couldn't buy them a sandwich as they were so concerned about conflicts of interest.

I assumed the accommodation was provided on a FOC basis and £15k was what it would have cost if it had had to be paid for. So no money changed hands and Ross could say he'd not paid anything. Meanwhile Johnson had to mention it in members register of interests because it was a benefit in kind.

I'd put money on it being a freebie that nobody paid for. I have access to places overseas on a mates basis, pals of mine have stayed *chez moi* for nowt, and I'm not even wealthy.

Now is it right for bj to take freebies? Depends who from.

I think David Ross has done a deal with a.n.other to swap accommodation to allow Boris to use a.n.others and Ross will allow a.n.other to use his at some other time. There is still monetary value in the swap, even though no physical money has changed hands.

I don't think it is right for Boris accept a freebie like this. He should set a better example when he can afford to pay himself.

Still wondering if we will ever hear anything more about the Jennifer Arcuri affair and what money she received. Just add it to the list of things that don't stick to teflon.

I'm still wondering if the report into alleged Russian interference will ever see the light of day. The public have a right to know how far and deep this goes.

I think David Ross has done a deal with a.n.other to swap accommodation to allow Boris to use a.n.others and Ross will allow a.n.other to use his at some other time. There is still monetary value in the swap, even though no physical money has changed hands.

I don't think it is right for Boris accept a freebie like this. He should set a better example when he can afford to pay himself.
Johnson’s been accepting £275,000 a year from the Barclays for flicking a paragraph off the wrist once a week/ when he can be bothered. A PM’s salary is only £150,000 compared with it. It’s quite obvious what the Barclays were doing. You might call it a retainer.
Similarly the white mischief in Mustique didn’t cost anything like the nominal £15,000 declared. Johnson would have had to have used Sandals ( with all the other middle aged, fourth time round the block gerritdun punters) to get within that budget. All the fantasy stuff about bridges with shrubbery , bridges to France, bridges to Ireland is distraction from what he’s about to visit on the paups. They’re not going to Mustique, they’re going to get it good and hard right at home.

Surely the main point of concern is the lack of clarity. It might’ve been a quid pro quo arrangement, but if not, there are 15.000 quids that need explaining.

The fact that clarity has been asked for, and it’s not forthcoming, has to arouse suspicions of potentially serious fraud.

Surely the main point of concern is the lack of clarity. It might’ve been a quid pro quo arrangement, but if not, there are 15.000 quids that need explaining.

The fact that clarity has been asked for, and it’s not forthcoming, has to arouse suspicions of potentially serious fraud.
Could you imagine a Labour PM suppressing a select committee report into Russian election and political interference while taking £275k a year off a non-resident tax dodger and deciding to close parliament because it was asking too many awkward questions?

advertisement

Back