advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the economic value of fishing, it is symbolic that fishing is sorted. Pictures in The Sun of factory stun trawlers in UK waters would be at the top of the Boris list of items to avoid at all cost.

Ah if 'symbolism' instead of substance is your bag, you're in for a treat.

Where did this gem of insight come from? The UKIP Times? Next you'll be telling us that we'll soar into the sunlit uplands on December 31st.

You do realise that Australian deal=no deal don't you? Or in other words Project Fcukwittery.

Lets face it we have 5 EU member states paying a net contribution into an ever expanding number of non payers and increasing budget as they apply further integration, (for example Germany present 15 billion Euros by 2027 33 billion Euros); Several of the 5 states are close to the 3% deficit and lets not kid ourselves as industry has moved out this is as good as it gets. Self interest for survival by the EU, Macron pilling on the additions to the annual deficit and Germany not far away from recession will ensure a deal by the end of the year.
I await others who will tell us all is rosy in the EU garden, but then most of them were not so good at the referendum and election predictions either.

Lets face it we have 5 EU member states paying a net contribution into an ever expanding number of non payers and increasing budget as they apply further integration, (for example Germany present 15 billion Euros by 2027 33 billion Euros); Several of the 5 states are close to the 3% deficit and lets not kid ourselves as industry has moved out this is as good as it gets. Self interest for survival by the EU, Macron pilling on the additions to the annual deficit and Germany not far away from recession will ensure a deal by the end of the year.
I await others who will tell us all is rosy in the EU garden, but then most of them were not so good at the referendum and election predictions either.
I certainly won't say all is rosy on the EU. Our departure will hurt us and them. That's what makes the tragedy even worse.

Some seem to take a perverse pleasure from any damage inflicted on the EU and are in denial about our own self harm.

Would be more interesting to carp at others if the UK wasn't heading for self inflicted recession.

Monday Johnson wamped on about an imaginary bridge while Gove told business to expect 'friction' and border checks. Tuesday Johnson talks about trains while Trump's economic adviser says the US is prioritising the EU over the UK for trade deal. The UK's already fragile economy has stalled. Deflection and distraction will only last so long. Johnson is ignoring questions and doing everything to avoid scrutiny on the "how much" and the "where from" parts of his throwing money around. He also has a track record of non-delivery (except significant wasted public money) on all his key projects and a colossal overspend and delay on the one (Crossrail) that we might actually see.

Yet you think the EU has problems. Perhaps you ought to study the UK's position with a bit more honesty.

I certainly won't say all is rosy on the EU. Our departure will hurt us and them. That's what makes the tragedy even worse.

Some seem to take a perverse pleasure from any damage inflicted on the EU and are in denial about our own self harm.
They’re going to have to find an English noun that replaces schadenfreude. How about Brexitprick?

Some sobering reading here:

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/02/11/pre-fascism-is-now-everywhere-in-politics-what-can-be-done/

Colin Barron is one of the 40%.

What faith is that? I have no faith in the tories.

Why the snide comment, ken?
Not snidey Brian, it's just that I'm of the opinion we have a government and PM almost certainly incapable of achieving anything remotely like a successful Brexit outcome for the likes of me, hence the smiley. (More of a wry grin really...)
Do you think the government have any chance at all of pulling a workable deal with the EU out of the hat that's not going to be BRINO, which would then seriously aggravate the more enthusiastic Leave contingent.

I don't get how being anti-establishment and not trusting politicians, which was a welcome philosophy and attitude to have among my hippy / student / left wing / liberal peers once upon a time, suddenly means you might be a right-wing fascist?

Is the populist idea overly populist in the media?
Because if enough people think "they're all the same" and disengage from politics, any prospect for systemic change dies. That's why the far right actively promote cynicism and lies. Paul Staines (Guido Fawkes) has said as much (in an interview with Owen Jones IIRC).

Because if enough people think "they're all the same" and disengage from politics, any prospect for systemic change dies. That's why the far right actively promote cynicism and lies. Paul Staines (Guido Fawkes) has said as much (in an interview with Owen Jones IIRC).
I am sure enough people have always thought they're all the same. Yet over the last 20 years voting turnout has steadily increased. If they were all the same, voting turnout would still be decreasing, right?

I am sure enough people have always thought they're all the same. Yet over the last 20 years voting turnout has steadily increased. If they were all the same, voting turnout would still be decreasing, right?

Yes and more and more voters are falling for the BS/lies/idiocy by voting for the far-right/pre-fascist enablers. It's a vicious circle, or if you like, a downward spiral.

If this carries on we are all going to be in deep sh*t.

I watched the Brexit celebration speeches, not on the BBC or ITV who as far as i know neither broadcast it. It was broadcast on a French Youtube channel. I did not notice any racist behaviour at the celebration, just normal folk.
nah i heard a range of them interviewed. unfortunately they came across clueless and delighted about being unshackled. mainly 50+ folk, delusional.

Yes and more and more voters are falling for the BS/lies/idiocy by voting for the far-right/pre-fascist enablers. It's a vicious circle, or if you like, a downward spiral.

So the 40% don't think they're all the same....and if you are ant-establishment you are a fascist.....hmm more and more confusing.

I’m talking about the next set of economic indicators

UK or German? both are are on the edge of recession.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51122215

If the UK economy slips we can have a 'big' thread on here to proclaim that the Brexiteers are shown to be conclusively wrong.

If the economy of Germany should falter I have every confidence in you to apply a spin to show it was all the fault of the UK voting for Brexit.

UK or German? both are are on the edge of recession.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-51122215

If the UK economy slips we can have a 'big' thread on here to proclaim that the Brexiteers are shown to be conclusively wrong.

If the economy of Germany should falter I have every confidence in you to apply a spin to show it was all the fault of the UK voting for Brexit.

How much is helped by making trade more costly and difficult with by far your biggest market? This Brexit fantasy of 'freedom' from trading easily really is a sick joke on the UK economy. We have major sources of employment and income being encouraged to take their business elsewhere, while a narcissist opportunist makes huge broad-brush uncosted promises without any track record of delivery (except for his personal advancement).

Might pay to keep focussed on the damage being done closer to home.

We don’t use the B word anymore. Any mention of its impact is fake news. Keep looking at the beautiful bridge.

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back