advertisement

Best Japanese LP supplier (new & used)?

BlueYeti

pfm Member
Hi folks,

I'm looking for the best source of Japanese pressings in the UK and wondered if any of you use Eli / Esprit rare records supplier? I’m just pondering on a few ‘nice to have’ albums in their online store to add to the collection and I’m quite tempted by a few older Japanese imports. But, their pricing seems somewhat, ahem, ambitious! Even compared to buying direct from Japan. Anyone had any dealings with them, and do their claims of everything in store being near nothing less than Excellent in condition generally hold up? Their small print…

“This item is in Excellent condition or better (unless it says otherwise in the above description). We buy items as close to Mint condition as possible and many will be unplayed and as close to new as you could hope to find. Irrespective of the source, all of our collectables meet our strict grading and are 100% guaranteed.”

Only ask as I have recently returned a few records to a UK supplier who claimed his stock was EX/Nr Mint and they were somewhat short of that description!

Any suggestions welcome.

I've always had great service from Eil but agreed they are expensive.
Bought a couple of Japanese Promo LP's from them in the past (when they were on sale).....Condition was as described plus the records are always packed well.

Paul (mellstock) is the man; he is extremely painstaking about condition and you can be sure the vinyl is in great shape, unlike the lottery of eBay and Discogs.

I've bought from various Ebay sellers and directly from online shops in Japan. The postage (to NZ) is not cheap, but the the quality and packaging has never been less than superb.

I hope I'm not buying into cultural stereotypes about Japanese people being unfailingly honourable and honest, but I've never been stung or disappointed with any duff purchases.

Just picked up a mint 70s songs in the key of life, with intact obi, the single and not a mark or scratch anywhere. There's something really nice about getting stuff in the post from Japan, these have become somewhat luxury fetish items for me. I often buy late at night and forget what I've ordered. It's great getting surprise packages at work. Sorry for going off topic!

Ah, I'd completely forgotten about the potential for the import duty, and no doubt VAT and Royal Mail handling fees too! So what's the average one would pay on something like a £50-100 order from Japan? I wouldn't want to spend any more than say the value of a few albums first to test out the process, and of course gauge the import & postage costs.

I've sent Paul an email and PM, and hopefully he'll get back to me.

If you buy from Paul, there’s nothing more to pay over the album price. He goes over to Japan regularly and ships it all back himself so when you buy it’s UK based....

advertisement

Back