advertisement

2020 New Album Recommendations

Sunda Arc - Tides, the electronica side project of Mammal Hands on Gondwana records (GoGo Penguin, Portico Quartet, Matthew Halsall etc.)

eta: the hi-res download is on special offer on Qobuz at the moment

Sunda Arc - Tides, the electronica side project of Mammal Hands on Gondwana records (GoGo Penguin, Portico Quartet, Matthew Halsall etc.)

eta: the hi-res download is on special offer on Qobuz at the moment

That sounds quite interesting - a variety of styles which seem quite well done. I will listen more closely.

Listened to the 2019 (? The Night Chancers) Baxter Dury (first couple of tracks only). Obvious comparisons to his father’s vocals, and I’m left wondering if I only kind one of like it because of that?

Just having a listen to Makaya McCraven's reimagining of Gil Scott-Heron's final album, We're New Again, and it's sounding very good - possibly better than the original.

Nicely timed what with original being reissued as well. I like this one and given that GSH always described himself as a poet then this makes perfect sense.

Over the last week I've been mostly listing to:
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - X: The Godless Void and Other Stories (this has been a grower)
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush (has it's moments but needs more time)
Dan Deacon - Mystic Familiar (I love the craziness)
This evening I've been enjoying:
Nathaniel Rateliff - And It's Still Alright (oozes quality, easy listening)
Grimes - Miss Anthropocene (didn't make the first impression Visions did but could be another slow burner, liked it better the second listen)

Thanks for the tip on Ghostpoet. I bought the signed LP from Recordstore on the strength of that song. I listened to some of his earlier albums but nothing has grabbed me yet, which is your favourite?
I'm not his biggest fan by any means but Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam made him. Shedding Skin is decent, but Dark Days and Canopes has a couple of really good tracks. Seemed to get famous around the same time as James Blake from what I recollect.

CocoRosie - Put the Shine On. Accessible Folk/Electric grown-up pop (though perhaps pop is stretching it). Enjoyed this, quite classy. Manages to play as a consistent, almost homogeneous offering, but not in a bad way. Definitely one to have a second listen to.

advertisement

Back