advertisement

pocketable cameras and pic quality

Rockmeister

pfm Member
I've got a phone with a camera. Get that one done and gone to start! :)

I have the need for a flexible travel camera.

Lightish
decent zoom range. Must go 24 to over 100, pref more,
viewfinder,
excellent JPEG quality,
easy and logical menus if I need them.

If it's small, it can't be fiddly (no little buttons just where you put your fingers and thumbs)
And I won't be making videos.

I tried an Olympus 'tough' compact...too tiny and image quality no better than the phone
Also an Olympus OM 10 mk2...fine but infuriating autofocus and buttons everywhere.

The standout choices are
Sony RX100 series (but it's tiny, the menus are horrible and the JPEG colours are so so)
Canon's G5X Mk 2...closest I think in production now.
Panasonic LX 100 2 also decent but 2nd to the Canon (jpeg colour again)

But if those 3 were not so pocketable, I'd not want them.The unanswerable stumbling block there is: In pocket good / tiny for big hands, bad.

Hmmm...so now I'm wondering about the latest CSCs and compromising on portabilty for improved lens flexibility, jpeg quality and a better ergonomic experience.
has anyone any experiences of the Sony 6000 series, Nikon's new Z50 or the Canon M6 series?

Any and all thoughts most welcome, esp on something both easy and enjoyable to use with excellent JPEGs. Ta.

I use a Sony RX100 as my pocketable option as I've been very impressed with it. Can't say I've noticed any real issues with the JPEG colours but part of my standard processing would sort that out anyway.

It's the pop up viewfinder that's the winner for me though - I'm old and getting somewhat longsighted so having such a small camera with a viewfinder I can adjust focus on is great.

I get quite good images from my Panasonic TZ 100.

I have read that you do need to be careful keeping cameras in pockets. Pockets can be dusty, any camera with a moving lens can act like a bellows sucking in dust which can end up on the lens elements or sensor. Some kind of pouch is worth considering if the camera has moving lens. Some suggest a poly bag.

I have generally kept my TZ100 in a small case on a shoulder strap.

thanks for the comments. Anyone tried CSCs?

I've got one of the Olympus PEN's as part of a micro 4/3'rds system (which also includes a Panasonic DSLR body and quite a few lenses). It's decent but not really that pocketable unless you've got largish pockets and take the lens off (even with one of the more compact lenses) - works quite well when I'm wearing a jacket like a Barbour though. I've not used it at all since getting the Sony RX100 though. In fact the RX100 is good enough that I'm using my main DSLR (a Pentax K1) a lot less than I used to.

Thanks Steve...I think next step is to fins somewhere to try one in hand.

I noticed that Amazon has some big discounts on the RX100 at the moment - for the earlier versions. I have the III (which was the first one with the pop-up viewfinder so the oldest version worth considering) and they're selling those for £429 (although I'm convinced I saw them for less than £400 in the boxing day sale), and they've also got the IV for £528.

I bought mine 2nd hand with a pile of accessories for £300 so there are some reasonable 2nd hand deals.

If you have reasonably large pockets the Leia Q2 is an interesting proposition, though doesn't fulfill your zoom requirements, the image quality is exemplary. Your pockets will be empty after paying for it.

Looking for a point and shoot to travel with that would take better images than my iPhone 6S. I’m considering a first generation Sony RX100 because of the lense and larger sensor. It lacks Bluetooth and an image viewer but I’m not certain I’d use the viewer as I tried a VI gen with the viewer and it seemed awkward using with glasses. I think I can do without Bluetooth as I can purchase a SD adapter cable to upload images to my iPad when I get home. Not sure I would need more than 3 times optical zoom as I’m more interested in quality.

Would be interested in other cameras to consider.

I just bought a Canon G5X mk2
paid less that £700 from Panamoz. Some images on a thread near here. VVG, cam, very pleased, and half the cost of the New Sony RX100.

Sold my D80 when I bought an RX100

Now own a RX100 Mk3 and keep getting tempted to upgrade my phone (currently iphone7) and sell it, but it's still better than the 11 for photos.

All in all, a great little camera :)

No matter how good the camera in my phone is I don't really get on with taking pictures with a phone. A viewfinder is essential in my experience. Being long-sighted and wearing varifocals doesn't help.

I like a physical shutter button.

I spent the last couple days reading reviews, opinions on forums and YouTube channels. Went to a couple stores and tried different cameras and spoke to various folks with more experience.

I then looked at the photos I took with my iPhone 6s on my last few trips and decided they look good enough. I really hate the idea of having to carry around another piece of hardware and accessories while on “vacation”. I’m don’t even like carrying around my phone!

Nor am I a budding photographer or one that wants to be. I just want some memories of the trip and where I visited that I can look at later on my Apple devices. Job done!

My iPhone will eventually have to be replaced and I understand the newer models have even better cameras so I’m better off saving my money for that investment in a few years.

My iPhone will eventually have to be replaced and I understand the newer models have even better cameras so I’m better off saving my money for that investment in a few years.

Check out the phonography thread, loads of great images and 2 quick 'snaps' with the 11pro.... #273

I spent the last couple days reading reviews, opinions on forums and YouTube channels. Went to a couple stores and tried different cameras and spoke to various folks with more experience.

I then looked at the photos I took with my iPhone 6s on my last few trips and decided they look good enough. I really hate the idea of having to carry around another piece of hardware and accessories while on “vacation”. I’m don’t even like carrying around my phone!

Nor am I a budding photographer or one that wants to be. I just want some memories of the trip and where I visited that I can look at later on my Apple devices. Job done!

Absolutely nothing wrong with your approach, often in life good enough is fine.

I simply don't like the experience of taking photos with my phone or my wife's phone. Both offer advanced options for exposure ISO etc. but I don't feel comfortable or in control of composition and timing of the image.

For a pocket camera the first priority is a viewfinder, which is why the RX100 keeps getting mentioned.

A camera without a viewfinder is called a Paperweight,,,

For a pocket camera the first priority is a viewfinder, which is why the RX100 keeps getting mentioned.

A camera without a viewfinder is called a Paperweight,,,

One thing worth noting about the RX100 was that it's only version III and later of that which had the viewfinder. That's the version I have and while there are improvements in the later versions the key change was the addition of the pop up viewfinder - none of the later stuff I saw as a must have.

I was willing to spring for a first generation RX100 as it has a one inch sensor and 1.8 lense and 3X optical zoom which should make it a better camera than most point and shoot cameras. I then read that in auto mode the shutter speed is 1/30 which is pretty slow, don’t understand why that is the default. Camera shake would then be a problem unless I got into other modes...

I tried the M3 version which gives you the pop up viewfinder which felt awkward to me with vari-focus glasses. Not sure I needed the 180 degree viewfinder as I’m not a vlogger of selfie guy. Liked the WiFi feature as I would want to be able to easily transfer photos back at the hotel but figured I could do the same with a SD cable if I settled for the M1 version. Not sure the $565 vs $323 is worth it to me as I’m not certain I would use the extra features of the M3 anyway. I’d also need a case, memory card, SD cable, extra battery that I’d have to schlep around the whole trip.

I’ll stick with my iPhone and consider purchasing a mobile charger, mini tripod with remote shutter and lightning flash drive to free up space rather than invest in 2012 technology.

From what I've seen, the RX100 is very impressive. Mark Galer has posted some awsome travel sets on his site shot with RX100. I considered it, went with iPhone 11 Pro. When it came out, I said I'd never pay that much. However, when I thought it through, I figured light and compact - minimalist - for trips where I don't need/want to carry a rig comprising Nikon D4/D4s and the lenses for the job/occasion, and possibly flash(es) and or tripod. It's working out well - perhaps not for the creativity side, but I can make pleasing easy photos with it while travelling.

I think I paid about £300 for my RX100 Mk3 2nd hand and it really is an excellent little camera. It's small, light and very capable. I mainly bought mine as an alternative to taking the DSLR when I couldn't be bother with the weight etc. and I've been very happy with it. Best point and shoot I've used by a very big margin.

advertisement

Back