advertisement

Q Acoustic Concept 500s

thebigfredc

pfm Member
Evening all,

I had a quick listen to the smaller 300s at my dealer's which has piqued my interest.

I was previously unaware of the splash the bigger 500s created on their release.

They use some new ideas to make the cabinets not colour the driver output.

Any of the good folk of PF heard or even own a pair?

Ray

Heard the 500 at last years Bristol.

It would be wrong to judge something accurately at a show but to me they just seemed run of the mill on that occasion.

Heard the 500 at last years Bristol.

It would be wrong to judge something accurately at a show but to me they just seemed run of the mill on that occasion.
Yep, that’s the problem sometimes with shows, I’ve heard some kit that I know can sound spectacular sounding very underwhelming. My experience of Q Acoustics speakers is that they perform much better than their price would suggest. They’re all substantially built from the entry level 3010 upwards. I’ve not heard the Concept 500 though.

Another potential problem is that QAcoustics will be forever associated with budget products, as good as they may are.

Unfairly perhaps but it will be difficult for seasoned audiophiles to put that name into context of their systems.

It would have been better if they had changed names for their premium products.

Another potential problem is that QAcoustics will be forever associated with budget products, as good as they may are.

Unfairly perhaps but it will be difficult for seasoned audiophiles to put that name into context of their systems.
You'd have to be a sorry snob to have that problem! Secure seasoned audiophiles will put whatever they like in their systems - regardless of the perceptions of others.

I got a small one box Onkyo system for our holiday flat and a pair of Q Acoustics entry level speakers. Good sounding system. Bought the same Onkyo system for my nieces birthday it came with Onkyo own speakers which were much more livelier and punchy than the Q Acoustics I actually preferred the Onkyo speakers. Also use a Q Acoustics sound bar for my TV which is great.

Surprised more folks haven't heard them.

I very briefly heard the 500s several months ago and liked them.

My dealer is getting the 300s soon so I'll have a listen to those. Ray, what did you make of the 300s?

I only listened to a couple of tracks so not exactly rigorous testing but to my ears they sounded precise, layered and really quite sweet. Oh and much larger than their looks would suggest.

Looks wise they are a bit too designer for our lounge and I have struggled with ported stand mounters either side of the chimney breast so not really for me. Hence my interest in the 500s. Have you seen the video of Ken Ishawata of Marantz fame going on about them?

Ray

Just in case anyone is interested, I got a pair of Concept 500s after hearing them at a dealership. I hadn’t even sat down when the first music started playing, the shop owner was telling me about them and I was half listening to him and the speakers. It turned out to be a very easy choice for me, I had a great morning listening and was happy to replace my Shahinian Arcs with the 500s. I was and still am a big Shahinian fan but Q Acoustics have produced a great speaker.

I've heard both the 300 and 500 at my local dealers during a long demo. The 500's are outstanding - a really crisp, clean sound with very well controlled bass. Great scale and dynamics. Sadly though just too big for my room both physically and sound wise.They are quite tall.

The 300's would suit a smaller room but the stands are a bit marmite imo. To me they did not have enough bass but I think the room I heard them in was way too big.

If you can fit them in the 500's are a must listen.

Had a demo, great sound but as mentioned before just too big for my room. The 300s were not in the same ball park.

It would have been better if they had changed names for their premium products.

All the better for those who don't suffer from this ailment as the used prices will be even more attractive.

I’m on my third pair of Concept 20s, I keep coming back to them. The 300s look very interesting though. I like the brand and the way they’ve developed.

advertisement

Back