advertisement

Room setup - remove “patio” door?

Agree with Darth Vader. Put in some internal folding doors so that the space can be opened up when wanted. Allowing a decent amount of light into the room is crucially important

I have a lot of time for the Raidhos, if I had to use a smallish loudspeaker, they’d be close to the top of my list. They do need to be quite far apart if you’re going to get a wide soundstage, though, because IME they don’t project much wider than their outside edges. Imaging is very good between the boxes, though, and I luurve that ribbon tweeter.

The problem with pushing the speakers further back in this case, I'd guess isn't the wall itself but reflections off the TV. Perhaps you could push them a smidge bit further back using less/no toe-in. Or nudge the TV further back on the rack. Now you're losing the fireplace (again) that will help of course.

I have my sofa away from the wall too, but only by 10 inches..

I had the same issue with my sofa being hard against the back wall. I put a large rug/drape thing on the wall behind the sofa which totally fixed it.

I refuse to have a TV in that room. What I do have is a projector so when I want it, I have a nine-foot screen on the wall but the screen vanishes at the flick of a switch! ;0)

And acoustical reflection and visual reflection work in entirely two different domains.

Not arguing about that but my living room has an eight foot wide and six-foot high window and I can hear the difference if it's not covered. The dining room at my work has glass walls on two sides and everyone complains about how loud it is.

It's an aside since the obvious horrid lateral-reflection issues are already dealt-with to @Whaleblue 's satisfaction but this:

- is a myth that I've fought c. 20yrs * yet appears it persists.

tl;dr: answer is no, as in no damn difference - acoustically.
And acoustical reflection and visual reflection work in entirely two different domains. Conflating the two is (1) popular and (2) right up there with 'silver sounds bright'... when actually the physics are very, very simple.

*I have better answers now to some of the intractable things I posted way back then. Also interesting...
Interesting - do you have a reference? ISTR reading that glass reflects more the higher the frequency (almost no reflection or absorption at deep bass), but I can't recall where.

The nearest measurements I can find now are here https://www.glassonweb.com/article/acoustic-properties-glass-not-so-simple which show rising "sound proofing" toward higher frequency (this is fairly linear for double glazing) but sadly the chart stops at 4kHz. And I realise "sound proofing" isn't exactly reflection.

I had the same issue with my sofa being hard against the back wall. I put a large rug/drape thing on the wall behind the sofa which totally fixed it.
I advise to put the LP into space at almost any cost. The "almost" is because alternative compromises could be greater, as you decided, but I think that's rare.

and it seems having the sofa moved just 6-8 inches from the wall behind is close to optimal.
sitting away from the rear wall also makes a very positive improvement
It's obviously going to contribute to a much more "open" sound....

Found this by accident many moons ago (with m/coil floor-standers), Your sofa/chair should not back up to a wall. Whaleblue thinks 8" is fine for him but I'd say that was marginal for best results; basically the more the better (within domestic logistical reason). Much more 'air' and natural ambience.

Seems that this sitting position scenario extends to (big) ESLs as well, as my 7' sofa is across a bay but is sufficiently far out (18+"?) to get 3 bake-off participants sitting on the window sill. They say it's fine, but s.q. is better ON the sofa, i.m.o. or even on pouffes in front of it.

Normally, with cross-room firing, one is limited in the effective listening zone available (not in the case of 'down firing'), so pulling seating away from walls affects this; hence I always advocate down room firing wherever possible/feasible.

Maybe the highish back to the sofa helps reduce reflections?

Just a guess there and here, but perhaps a way of testing how the room and boundaries may be affecting the sound is to try sitting nearfield. I've gone that way in my converted garage room and whilst I don't think I've got it just right yet (and my room is about 16' X 8') it certainly sounds better to me being less than 5 feet away from the speakers.

Found this by accident many moons ago (with m/coil floor-standers), Your sofa/chair should not back up to a wall. Whaleblue thinks 8" is fine for him but I'd say that was marginal for best results; basically the more the better (within domestic logistical reason). Much more 'air' and natural ambience.

Seems that this sitting position scenario extends to (big) ESLs as well, as my 7' sofa is across a bay but is sufficiently far out (18+"?) to get 3 bake-off participants sitting on the window sill. They say it's fine, but s.q. is better ON the sofa, i.m.o. or even on pouffes in front of it.

Normally, with cross-room firing, one is limited in the effective listening zone available (not in the case of 'down firing'), so pulling seating away from walls affects this; hence I always advocate down room firing wherever possible/feasible.

Erm... it was a pun... doors removed... more open...

I refuse to have a TV in that room. What I do have is a projector so when I want it, I have a nine-foot screen on the wall but the screen vanishes at the flick of a switch! ;0)

Had a projector at the last house. Excellent things. In the new house Mrs Wb is happier with a more traditional TV.

Regarding the drape, are you saying this helped with low bass?

Maybe the highish back to the sofa helps reduce reflections?
I don't think a high-backed sofa or headrest is quite the same as a wall. At a lot of the wavelengths we're talking about anyway, sound will mostly diffract or flow around objects of that size (unlike light), until it hits a boundary it can't flow around at which point it will reflect.

The problem with pushing the speakers further back in this case, I'd guess isn't the wall itself but reflections off the TV. Perhaps you could push them a smidge bit further back using less/no toe-in. Or nudge the TV further back on the rack. Now you're losing the fireplace (again) that will help of course.

Darren, are you suggesting that might help ensure bass modes are minimised??

Darren, are you suggesting that might help ensure bass modes are minimised??
I mean you'd be able to try an LP further into the room (since the intrusion would be compensated by the speakers being less into the room) to see if that works differently or better.

Regarding the drape, are you saying this helped with low bass?

Not specifically the bass. The room is quite bright, if you clap your hands you can hear the echo. Without the drape you could hear this noise coming off the wall behind your head. It wasn't terrible but it is definitely better with the drape. You are not aware of having a wall behind you. I don't remember noticing any change in the bass. There may have been, I can't remember. It was years ago. Bass in the room is very good, no big problems. Mana Isobarik stands took away the last bit of boom I was experiencing.

I mean you'd be able to try an LP further into the room (since the intrusion would be compensated by the speakers being less into the room) to see if that works differently or better.

Ah, I see. The LP is more limited by reasonable aesthetics! However, I have toed the D1s out a little, and moved them back six inches to no noticeable detriment, and obvious aesthetic improvement.

advertisement

Back