advertisement

Slight Distorted Sound From One Channel & Burnt Smell From Amp

ryder

pfm Member
Does anyone know what is the fault of the amplifier if one(1) speaker shows a slight distorted sound when music is playing, and there's a very slight smell from that amp of something burning or cooking?

Yes, already stopped using the amp. It was working fine several days ago though. I was just wondering what could have possible caused this problem. Overdriving the amp by playing at high volumes? Why only 1 channel is affected and not 2?

I was just wondering what could have possible caused this problem. Overdriving the amp by playing at high volumes?

Your question seems to betray a certain sense of guilt and perhaps you have answered your own question.

Take or send it off to be repaired.

If you are curious then take the top off and see where the smell is coming from so you can say sorry to the little creature that you killed.

But switch it off first and do not touch anything inside because capacitors can keep their charge for quite a while and can give you a serious jolt.

Thanks for the responses. I'm sending the amp and my unused Teddycap for repair tomorrow. I usually don't open up the lid to have a look so unfortunately no photos.

It’s not an assumption it’s a guess and I can’t think of any immediate danger from taking a photo with the power off.

if a semiconductor had failed its usual for an amp to blow fuses and it’s unlikely (not impossible)to make any sound at all.

burning smell is normally associated with resistors and they often give a visual as well as olfactory indication.

It will be interesting to see what the diagnosis is!

It’s not an assumption it’s a guess and I can’t think of any immediate danger from taking a photo with the power off.

if a semiconductor had failed its usual for an amp to blow fuses and it’s unlikely (not impossible)to make any sound at all.

burning smell is normally associated with resistors and they often give a visual as well as olfactory indication.

It will be interesting to see what the diagnosis is!
What I mean is that if you do spot a burned resistor and just change it without investigating further, there’s a good chance it’ll fail again and do further damage. As I say, they usually fail for a reason. An output device can fail without blowing fuses or stopping the affected channel producing sound, it’ll sound bad of course. Something could also be at fault before the output stage. It really needs to go to a proper workshop.

I’m also interested to know what the diagnosis is.

Post photo!

likely to be a failed resistor

almost certainly a cheap fix

Photo sent by the repairer. It's fixed already. Your assumption of a failed (burnt) resistor hit the bull's-eye. I can't wait to get the amp back.

First time I'm seeing the internals of the amp. Looking clean.

IMG-20200407-WA0050.jpg

Sonneteer Orton by the look of it.... with silly bits of blu tak on pcb and bits of plastic glued to the smoothing caps! Oh dear...

A resistor cannot just burn out. There is a reason for it and this will almost always be something else blowing and taking a resistor with it.

advertisement

Back