advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could mention any number of illnesses that kill thousands in faraway places, but it’s hardly relevant to a virus which is spreading around the world rather rapidly.

Way more people have died from complications associated with flu this year FHS - in the UK not some "faraway place" in an interconnected world...

As an aside, how many of us have taken the time out to visit the GP and get out flu jabs this Winter?

Can the media concentrate on some pressing issues that impact us all and a still to be resolved?

As an aside, how many of us have taken the time out to visit the GP and get out flu jabs this Winter?

Me certainly. As a asthmatic and diabetic I get a free one and its dumb not to take it as even if it is not entirely effective it does reduce risk by a significant percentage.

I'm glad to hear it Tony. I did too but speaking to my GP at least 50% of those who are entitled simply don't bother to book an appointment and many of those who do fail to turn up. I imagine they would were they told it was for Corona - they would be queuing around the corner with masks on.

How about the Dengue and Chikungunya viruses.

AFAIK, there is no fully effective vaccine or treatment for the former. It kills at least 1% of those infected every year and more than 60 million contract it each twelve months - many estimates considerably higher than that. That's a minimum of 60,000 deaths a year from a virus. Then the latter comes along and kills fewer but usually leaves them in chronic pain which limits their ability to work in countries with no public healthcare or social security.

All I am asking for is a sense of proportion. All those travelling on holiday to, say, Asia or Africa, face the risk of contracting dengue.

My wife and I paid for our flu vaccines.
I've had proper flu twice - never again if I can help it!
“I get the flu every year...I don’t take vaccines- last time I did, I had a funny out of body experience and tingling down my right side for months..I wear dark glasses all the time now..I think my doctor doesn’t like me”.

Last edited:
what do you mean by no cure?
The vast majority of cases will survive as they do with any flu as the victims immune system sorts it out.
It’s complications that kill , like pneumonia.
Most of the people that caught it even survived Spanish flu.

There seems to be a lot of evidence that the 'Spanish' Flu killed a lot of young people.. and very quickly. Percentage rates are meaningless unless related to infection rates and of course.. accurate stats.

I really don't think any of us knows enough to get cocky. Chinese Doc reported to have died was 34.

I had what I believe was Flu in the late 1950s. 'Asian' Flu? I was a young healthy lad of about 10. I have never felt so ill since, even during a major heart attack and two strokes. I not only thought I as dying.. but almost wished I would...

My wife and I paid for our flu vaccines.
I've had proper flu twice - never again if I can help it!

I don't often agree with you.. but my memory of 'proper Flu' is still horrific enough that I will take any steps to avoid it in future.. especially as I have some serious cardiac issues.

I've had many 'flu like' illnesses over my 71 years... but none compared to the 'Real Flu', which in my case was I think the 'Asian' pandemic. We lived at the time in a 'Council' dwelling. There was only a coal fire in one room for heating. I was left in my bed, in an unheated room. It's not that my parents were uncaring... but they had to work... and they no doubt thought I just had a 'bug'. I desperately needed to use the bathroom..... except that the 'bathroom', was an almost outside 'loo', near the backdoor. It took me maybe half an hour to drag myself downstairs on my backside.. Every nerve ending in my body was firing at random. Every muscle, every bone and every hair follicle in my body was hurting. I crawled on hands and knees across the living room and kitchen floors.. out to the 'loo'. Then I crawled back to my bed... That is all I remember of that illness.. but it has stayed with me for more than 60 years.
Never again if I can help it.

I've just been looking on FlightRadar24. There are many flights still in and out of China. I rather suspect that a pandemic is now inevitable. And yes.. most will survive, but I'd rather not have to take my chances.

Malaysia has 15 cases, nearly all directly from China.
Singapore has 33 with several locally transmitted and only 1/10 the population.
Unfortunately far too many people commute between the two, so it may spread North

I'm getting vexed, I remember seeing the menu from the market that supposedly had something to do with this virus. What's that bird called with the pretty feathers that fluffs them all up ? A large bird it is it fluffs them up and there all in a pretty pattern? They had them on the menu.
Found it peacock.

With respect, that is complete bollocks.
Whilst there may be no cure for many viral illnesses, there are many interventions which can be performed by medics to support the cardiovascular, respiratory, hepatic and renal systems in those worst affected.

I’m assuming you’re not a medical professional and just shooting from the hip. There is no cure for any virus.

from today’s Guardian:
What are the symptoms caused by the Wuhan coronavirus?
The virus causes pneumonia. Those who have fallen ill are reported to suffer coughs, fever and breathing difficulties. In severe cases there can be organ failure. As this is viral pneumonia, antibiotics are of no use. The antiviral drugs we have against flu will not work. If people are admitted to hospital, they may get support for their lungs and other organs as well as fluids. Recovery will depend on the strength of their immune system. Many of those who have died were already in poor health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back