advertisement

Reclocking USB signals - significant improvement !

You cant have it both ways four legs. If it makes a difference then the phoenix works and the dac is broken. If it doesnt make a difference then either the dac is good or the phoenix does nothing.

Ideal situation, you test multiple dacs and it works on some but not others, proving it does something and that dac quality is variable.

It's not some heads I win tails you loose con game.

If it makes every dac sound different then we need to rethink dac design...

I should be able to try that.

Nick, can I call you Nick? After seeing the picture of you in your kitchen with your soldering irons and measuring equipment I feel like I know you.

According to your website, "Nick’s motto is that if it sounds different it must be possible to measure it", which I'm sure a good number of PFM'ers would wholeheartedly agree. Therefore, alongside the long awaited subjective impressions of the Phoenix, perhaps you'd be so kind as to produce the measured output of your DAC with the Phoenix both in and out of situ?

Even more useful would be measurements taken from each device used, especially since the blind test didn’t start/end well.

Nick - no need for measurements from my perspective - just tell me how it sounds. I'm not looking for subtle differences in the sound, I'm looking to see if you get a good leap in sound quality.

I'm not going to do measurements. I promised to listen to see if I am interested in buying and that is what I will do and will post on here.

I'm not going to do measurements. I promised to listen to see if I am interested in buying and that is what I will do and will post on here.

Ah, that sounds like a politicians "promise" to me. I don't recall a promise to exclude measurements, merely an undertaking to listen and compare.

Call me a cynic, but perhaps "Nicks Motto" is as bent as a five bob note.

Ah, that sounds like a politicians "promise" to me. I don't recall a promise to exclude measurements, merely an undertaking to listen and compare.

Call me a cynic, but perhaps "Nicks Motto" is as bent as a five bob note.

Tough, I am looking at the Phoenix as a private buyer. Why on earth would you expect me to do measurements for you? or even for Alex S? To be honest I feel like telling the lot of you to just sod off.I thought some people might be interested to know what I think it sounds like but now I am just pissed off with your games.

I don’t expect anything. I thought it might interest you to do so. If I had the facility and knowledge to do so, I certainly would before dropping £2,500 on one.

So having read the bumf on the device from various sources. It's a usb to usb device that provides a reclocked usb output inc a new clean 5v.

Maybe the 5v makes a difference, perhaps it can do something for synchronous USB dacs. I still doubt its function with and competent USB dac with a decent xmos implementation

Unless the digital source is powering the DAC over USB (extremely rare configuration), find a cheap USB cable and cut the 5V lead (the internets can tell you which color that wire is). That could be a very economical solution to source noise issues.

Unless the digital source is powering the DAC over USB (extremely rare configuration), find a cheap USB cable and cut the 5V lead (the internets can tell you which color that wire is). That could be a very economical solution to source noise issues.

That 5V line is commonly used for detection, even in devices which are independently powered. Cutting it might have unexpected consequences.

The handshake can be an issue but the biggie is the dacs where the usb card need 5V to power it and it expects that from the usb cable or more accurately what’s at the other end of the cable This is where special cables are used to provide an individual connection to a clean 5V supply.

The handshake can be an issue but the biggie is the dacs where the usb card need 5V to power it and it expects that from the usb cable or more accurately what’s at the other end of the cable This is where special cables are used to provide an individual connection to a clean 5V supply.
The only cable that offers that is Pangee Audio, which splits signal from power - it requires two USB A source jacks to operate.

Any dac using the 5v on the usb line for power better have decent regs in it. I'd never use a dac that relied on it.

advertisement

Back