advertisement

Anna Meredith

Not had the pleasure of seeing her live, but I’m a big fan. Nautilus is a force of nature ...

and the latest LP FIBS has some real depth and some wonderfully subtle cuts ... Moonmoons for instance.

Shes ace.

I liked the last offering, single was also good. I did consider going to a concert, but not entirely sure if it would be to my liking.

Bloss

………….. I did consider going to a concert, but not entirely sure if it would be to my liking......

LLLOL

Not for the feint-hearted, but challenging and somewhat addictive I think, I'll have to try to get better acquainted via YouTube. Moonmoons is rather beautiful.
She plays Warwick in the near future and that is a very convenient venue for me, so very tempted, so will have to see what the better half thinks.

LLLOL

Not for the feint-hearted, but challenging and somewhat addictive I think, I'll have to try to get better acquainted via YouTube. Moonmoons is rather beautiful.
She plays Warwick in the near future and that is a very convenient venue for me, so very tempted, so will have to see what the better half thinks.

Tempted again and Warwick would be my choice also, if it is that near you, you have to go and report back please.

Bloss

Sadly, the better half has a free ticket, won by a close friend of hers, to see Beth Hart the same date (9th Feb).

I think I might give this a go. I’ve heard Anna and her music a couple of time on the wireless, and rather liked both.

Sadly, the better half has a free ticket, won by a close friend of hers, to see Beth Hart the same date (9th Feb).

Sorted, your wife can go with her friend to see BH, you can meet up with Marchbanks at the Warwick gig

Bloss

Booked for Sunday week at Warwick Arts Centre.

Interesting stuff, uncategorizable says Wire.

Anyone seen her live? Any fans?

Great video, BTW. I’ll be happy if the concert is anywhere near as good as that.

Last edited:
Couple of friends went to see her last night, and were raving about it this morning.
Be prepared for a surprising cover version.

Couple of friends went to see her last night, and were raving about it this morning.
Be prepared for a surprising cover version.
It was terrific. She and the band were excellent, she thanked us effusively for braving the weather rather than deciding to watch Doctor Who, encouraged us to dance in the space between the stage and the seats (sorry Anna), finished off with (spoiler alert) a Europop medley including choreographed Abba blonde-and-brunette routine, then did her bit afterwards at the merch stall.

49512893583_5481ed5d81_c.jpg

Quite a cross-section in the audience - all the way from student age up to old grey- (and half-grey-)beards. I thought they had played for around an hour - I was surprised to find it was ninety minutes. I recognized Nautilus, but Vapours and Paramour were my highlights (along with the opener - I forgot to ask her what that was.) I fear the CD may be a slight disappointment though - live they had a huge thud and crunch that will be difficult to reproduce.

Edit: I now see from the videos above that the opener was Sawbones. Anna said the video was shot on the roof of the Festival Hall and they were trying to look summery in the freezing cold. The cellist was sitting on a hot water bottle.

Further edit: I needn’t have worried, the CD is good. The Radford/Tannoy combo gives it plenty of thud, crunch AND deep farty synths!

Last edited:
And I am more than just a little bit jealous for having missed this - I love the fact that what I assumed was sampled and sequenced on record is actually properly playable live.
I’m not 100% certain what can be done on stage these days, and I’m sure some of what I heard came directly off Anna’s Macbook, but they are definitely classy musicians. In particular the drummer handled the vertiginous stops and starts and polyrhythms amazingly and the guitarist shredded and tapped like a good’un.

If you take a look at the Sawbones video in post#13 that is pretty much the live/computer split that we had last night.

Final PS on the gig: I’ve only just remembered something Anna said that made me laugh out loud - ‘there’s a great video for this song - if you haven’t seen it yet that’s something you can look for when you are at work tomorrow.’

Last edited:

advertisement

Back