advertisement

Can we hear anything, allowed to hear anything, or are you deaf/stupid?

The "shit-bombing" Tony describes is exactly the reason I rarely comment on audio threads. Every time some poor sod asks about a cable making a difference it simply isn't enough for someone to say that cables can't make a difference beyond LCR and that's that. Nothing wrong with saying it's all nonsense and that all cable companies are snake oil salesmen but repeating ad nauseum ruins an open forum by trying to close it. Other topics are available, that's simply the most obvious one.

And yet I’ve never heard anything that measures less than optimally that I could live with - when I think of all my favourite equipment, it happens to measure well too.

Brings us back to those pesky ears and brains, and their unreliability again doesn’t it?!
I most definitely have ... that’s why I put away my spec sheets .. I remember during the period when yamaha’s ‘natural sound’ amplifiers and components were a thing ... maybe around 1980-82 ...? They had me believing that nothing less than 100 wpc and one part per million THD would do the trick ... then I heard a few amplifiers ... one rated at something over 0.1% THD ... maybe the most transparent sounding amplifier I ever heard before that point... and then I heard one of the first model mark levinsons ... maybe the most powerful amplifier I’d ever heard ... and it was rated at something around 18 watts maybe (?) ... but of course was capable of absurdly high transients .. this opened a whole new world for me ... of course much of this is probably due to my own fallacious assumptions ... but so are the experiences of others I suppose ..?

There is a manufacturer of ‘high end’ microphones (ok not home audio gear - but microphones are especially subject to spec-whoring to coin a phrase) who REFUSE to publish any specifications ever on any of their products. Quite cool I thought. I suspect the owner of the company, Dirk Brauner of brauner microphones, feels much the way some of us do!

Last edited:
There is a legion of b*llsh*t and many unscrupulous vendors looking to exploit the unwary, and a vast amount of anecdotal misinformation. Please don't stifle this debate beyond dealing with obvious rudeness. I believe you greatly admire Peter Walker - a good sound honest engineer who would have had a very pithy response to many contemporary audio claims.

Amen to that. ‘Nuff said.

Hi,
As another suggestion, why not precursor the thread title with five letters/characters to denote an objective thread or subjective thread as follows :

"Obj: "
"Sub: "

So a thread could be called :

Sub: Bettering a Michell Gyro SE
Obj: CD Green Pens

Sub: Which is better, Directional Cables or Cable Lifters.

If a thread is objective or subjective, then neither can comment on the other.

Regards,
Shadders.

I take your point and agree that basic measurements are necessary if one is to make and sell an audio product to a wide audience, but I am not sure that much equipment today, including valve/tube designs, actually measure that poorly. I bet most will cover the 20Hz to 20kHz bandwidth (-3dB) needed for good audio fidelity and produce acceptable levels of THD & IMD, and if well designed should be low noise too.

I think the word "distortion" is over used, and also used incorrectly, unless it can be shown by measurements that substantial distortion is being produced, as a means to describe the difference between a solid-state amplifier and a valve amplifier as you mentioned earlier in this thread. I make both types of amplifier and its interesting to see how different they sound, but both would pass what would be easily accepted in a magazine review. So why do they sound so different? Now that is the conundrum!

I remember back in the late 1990s I was asked to test and evaluate a very special custom made solid-state amplifier. It was totally hardwired with a linen jacket cable with stranded PC-OFC wire, which was a nightmare to cut, dress and terminate. It used special hand made resistors and a whole host of other custom made parts. It was beautifully built and produced about 40 watts of power and sounded absolutely fantastic, probably the best solid-state amplifier I ever heard, yet when I measured it, the feedback free design started rolling off at around 8kHz and was 3dB down at 15kHz. The bass was OK as that was 3db down at around 5Hz. The amplifier was produced and sold worldwide and many people loved its sound.
They sound different because they use differen amplifying devices and produce different distortion spectra, have different bandwidth, slew rates and damping factors, etc. I don't think there is a conundrum.

Bit totalitarian don't you think?
Hi,
No, it would stop immediately the issues complained about.

Some people have said what an objectivist can state on a thread, but there will always be those statements where as an objectivist you will worry what you can/cannot say. Everyone has a view, but reading this threads comments by subjectivists, they seem to not want any objective statements.

I think many objectivists will be happy never to comment on a subjective thread, if it is marked as such.

Regards,
Shadders.

Shadders,

As a mod here I think I can say with near certainty that this is totally unworkable. Running purely subjective or objective threads would require constant policing to ensure that if there’s a hint of objectivism on a subjective thread it’s obliterated and vice versa.

Besides, the best ideas come from cross-fertilization and pfm has always been a catch-all audio forum as opposed to a purely subjective one like xxxxx [sorry, its name cannot be spoken] or a purely objective one like Hydrogen Audio. Personally, I’ve learned a lot from some of the more objective fishies here — Rob H, Jez, you, Jim, and many others. I don’t mind someone telling me I’m full of it, as long as it’s done respectfully.

The solution is really easy. Fishies simply need to chill a bit.

That said, this is the 23,765th thread about objectivism vs subjectivism on the forum to date. We obviously love the tension and fun that ensues from it.

Joe

Neither your ears nor mine are analytical instruments and everything they detect is filtered through a really, really unreliable grey computer that doesn't work the same from one day to the next.

I might as well ask "Why do some people think that their ears and brains are in any way reliable as listening devices?"
Because it is what they listen with and how they process the incoming information.
The individual's experience of the musical message processed in their own head is the only one that matters.
That's why some appreciate drum 'n' bass and others prefer Mozart. Its about the musical message and emotion experienced by the individual, not about the FR experienced by REW.

I'm saying that your measurement system is crap, so you can't talk about "fidelity". If you don't have a reliable measure then you can talk about "enjoyment" all you like, be my guest, but you can't suggest that anything measured with an elastic tape measure is "accurate". Hifi enthusuasts like to talk about "accurate", don't they?
Probably. That's why they're hifi enthusiasts in contrast to music lovers striving for the best experience.
Why does the enjoyment of music, which is entirely subjective and personal, have to be turned into a set of inadequate measurements?

I've been a member of this forum since 2003 but I rarely post here these days, mostly because this issue. The forum seems to be dominated by a minority of self-appointed experts who are determined to shut down any subjective discussion, usually with a sneer of condescension.

This is unfortunate since PFM used to be one of the most pleasant and easygoing hifi forums around. Now every thread turns into an epic battle of ideologies while more moderate members - the vast majority - just tune out and go somewhere else.

The irony is that the so-called "objectivists" throw around terms like "science" and "physics" and "double blind testing" as if they are really experts in these things, but of course they are not. They are classic examples of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. We see people being told that something - a re-clocker, a cable or whatever - cannot sound different because that would break all the laws of physics. Please. The laws of physics are a little less restrictive than what is capable of being shown on your digital multimeter.

And the constant refrain of "sighted" vs "unsighted", as if this particular parlour game is of any scientific validity. Double blind testing, when conducted in important areas like medical research, is done using rigorous protocols with large numbers of test subjects over long periods, using objectively verifiable measured outputs. If the so-called hifi objectivists were in charge we would be testing cancer drugs by asking patients to pop pill A, then pop pill B, and asking them with their eyes closed if they can tell the difference between them. Hi fi objectivists would say that two drugs are exactly the same because they are the same shape. Thankfully, real scientists are not as stupid as the hifi "objectivists".

Of course measurements and solid engineering are essential in hi fi. They are fundamental to designing it, but the best audio designers also listen to their designs and make adjustments based on listening tests as well. And as consumers, we are fully entitled to judge audio based on how we hear it, and to engage in friendly discussions about what we hear, without being sneered at by someone who has a basic understanding of jitter or cable inductance or whatever and therefore thinks they are the lone voice of "science".

try reading a post in Geddy's screechy singing style as this plays

What about the voice of Geddy Lee:
How did it get so high?
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy?
"I know him and he does."
Well, you're my fact-checkin' cuz.

Reactions: irb
This thread isn't about the subject matter, its about the behaviour encountered on recent discussion where someone might say "i heard an improvement" then theres an instant "show me a graph to prove it" or you're a stupid deluded fcuker.

Last edited:
@Tw99 If you care to stalk my profile fully, you'll see my cables are still "budget" plain vanilla type, but over the years i have learnt whats important and not, to me.

Full system details: (to save you some time ;))

System:
Amp: Audionet DNA 2.0 + EPS G2 PSU
Speakers: 432 Point5 (DIY)
Stands: solidsteel SS-5
Speaker cables: Atlas Ichor MK2 (aka Mavros)

Roon & UPNP/DLNA Server:
QNAP TS-251+8GB RAM & 2x1TB Sandisk ultra II SSDs
Teddy Pardo Dual 12v LPSU
TP-Link Archer VR-900 Switch/Router

Cables:
Mains cables: H07RN-F 3 x 2.5mm with NAC3FX & NAC3MX (DIY)
Mains distribution: DCT03 + 432 Point5 4-way NAC3FPX & NAC3FPX (DIY)
USB cable: Nobility Eagle E-580US
Network cables: Metz CAT-7 MC GC1000 Plus23

advertisement

Back