advertisement

which soldering iron?

Rockmeister

pfm Member
Been doing a kit check before loudspeaker construction and my soldering iron has died after 35 years of abuse.
For delicate electronic use only (internal speaker wiring etc), please can someone suggest a make for the rank amateur and infrequent use. Really just need to know the right power for those jobs and something, maybe a kit that will be all I need. Oh and is Solder still, just solder...I've some ancient lead based stuff somewhere or which?
Thanks

Old solder does not seem go 'off' so you will be fine. OK, most newer solders are lead-free because of new regs - but for domestic use for small jobs do not worry.

No special soldering iron needed for this job - this is hardly 'delicate' as soldering goes - you are using regular components not microscopic surface mount devices.
Frankly whatever you find in B & Q would 'work' - do not get a gas one though! My iron is similarly ancient and the only problem with them is that the power leads are stiff so it never sits nicely when you put it down - I have long ago lost the stand. I use the hook on the handle to hang it.

Perhaps avoid a cheap Weller from A zon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NVKIL70/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Read the reviews. Hmmm

Antex maybe better
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003ITY13W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
25w enough? I'd like a stand to put it on whilst working, and maybe a few various tips...I can just hunt toolsation maybe

For loudspeaker stuff maybe 40W, you may encounter binding posts and other things that are harder to heat. ROhS compliance is not necessary for home hobby work, so leaded solder would be preferred unless you plan to sell products. 60/40, 63/37, or Sn62, it's just a matter of personal preference and what works well with your work habits.

Antex is the make that usually gets recommended for people on a budget.

The cheap temperature controlled Chinese ones sold on Amazon and eBay seem perfectly adequate for most jobs. I don't think the readout on mine is particularly accurate but I've got used to that. I had an Antex for years, and used Weller at work, but my current one which I think is 50W is fine, and very cheap.

I've been soldering with Weller irons for over 40 years. At one stage, over 30 employees using them too.

I am sure that there are newer, better ones but Weller still does it for me.

I've always had more success with a soldering gun, even for things like din plugs etc.
Also better have too much power available than too little.

If cost is no object Weller are excellent.
The units mentioned by johnjo from farnell are good value. I have two, my only complaint is how the tips tin ie keep a surface layer of solder. They are not as good as antex or weller. Ive tried a variety of flux to clean them, Bakers Fluid works for a while.
Its back to cost v quality.
I keep an old 100 watt iron for use on speaker cable connectors

I've always had more success with a soldering gun, even for things like din plugs etc.
Also better have too much power available than too little.
intro-1517511501.jpg

If cost is no object Weller are excellent.
The units mentioned by johnjo from farnell are good value. I have two, my only complaint is how the tips tin ie keep a surface layer of solder. They are not as good as antex or weller. Ive tried a variety of flux to clean them, Bakers Fluid works for a while.
Its back to cost v quality.
I keep an old 100 watt iron for use on speaker cable connectors

Be very careful with Bakers fluid on electrical / electronics applications, it is an acid based flux and your joints will go green if it is not completely cleaned off.

Be very careful with Bakers fluid on electrical / electronics applications, it is an acid based flux and your joints will go green if it is not completely cleaned off.

Yep! Don't use it. Bad idea. The only flux you need is that which is in the cored solder (how do they do that?).
For extreme needs then use the flux pens of proper electrical flux which are sold for use with SMD soldering.

advertisement

Back