advertisement

Best single box CD player for £4K

Is that extra PSU really such and issue if you like the CDS3 so much? Shame you can't on with the Isis looks - it's a great CDP (had mine for 9 years) and one went on here for only £2k a few days ago.

Is that extra PSU really such and issue if you like the CDS3 so much? Shame you can't on with the Isis looks - it's a great CDP (had mine for 9 years) and one went on here for only £2k a few days ago.

No, it's partly hypothetical. I'm moving my main system next year to my new place that I'm currently renovating. I would like to reduce the box count, but sound quality comes first. Going to demo some ATCs and other active options to possibly get rid of the 135s/SC/SNAXO/SL2s, but they will have to be very very good to see off the SL2s... was thinking if I did that though I could go further and look at 2 boxes instead of 4 for pre-amp and CD player.

No, it's partly hypothetical. I'm moving my main system next year to my new place that I'm currently renovating. I would like to reduce the box count, but sound quality comes first. Going to demo some ATCs and other active options to possibly get rid of the 135s/SC/SNAXO/SL2s, but they will have to be very very good to see off the SL2s... was thinking if I did that though I could go further and look at 2 boxes instead of 4 for pre-amp and CD player.

Could you go straight from your CDS3 into active ATC's? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I've no knowledge of active speakers.

Ahh. I can see that ripping 15000 CDs might be a bit tedious.
That’s a huge library! Ripping is not an option unless you were to pay a third party to undertake the task. My 850+ CD library tested my resolve. Enjoy the search for a quality one box disc spinner.

Rega Isis because sounds better than any Naim CDP, well it did compared to the 555 I heard it against. Or a Linn CD12, not compared but it sounds great and great classic to own.
That said I’d still prefer to go Akurate DS and start ripping, there is no way you can or ever will listen to that many CD’s, so do favourites and sell the rest and stream anything you miss later.

A streamer with dac and preamp such the Lindemann Musicbook Source....it even has a phono stage and a USB cd drive can be attached if you must spin silver disks. USB SSD can be attached too.

Guys, rightly or wrongly I don't want streaming or ripping... I want a CD player. I like CDs... yes I'm a luddite, but I've tried Tidal and Spotify and I have some CDs ripped to Roon, but it's not the same as CDs and vinyl ...to me anyway.

tiggers, don't know where you are in the uk but you're more than welcome to have a listen to an audionet vip g2 (i'm in bedford).

when i first played a cd it really felt like i had a massive speaker upgrade...the audionet 'art' play cd only whereas the 'vip' are universal...sacd,cd,dvd,audio dvd etc... and they also have usb digital input for direct connection to a pc/mac. (no drivers required)

there is always a handful for sale on hifishark,only downside is if you need a new transport or repairs then it would need to be sent to germany.

simply superb disc playback imo but gl with whatever you go with.

Guys, rightly or wrongly I don't want streaming or ripping... I want a CD player. I like CDs... yes I'm a luddite, but I've tried Tidal and Spotify and I have some CDs ripped to Roon, but it's not the same as CDs and vinyl ...to me anyway.

I'm with you on that, I use tidal but and when I find stuff I like I buy the CD. I love Cds.

I have active atc asl 50's love them.
Used with a modwright ls36.5 which is a great match, previously used atc pre amp mut preferred Modwright valve majic.
I have a opus 21 which is very balanced and presentation, I have also used a choud DAC which again is worth consideration, works very well with ATC.
I have previously heard Naim with atc, very detailed as you will be farmiliar with, very few high end CD manufacturers left, Rega isis, Esotheric, Chord , Luxman, single box units worth consideration (Chord looks the part).
I did have an old Audio note readboox cd player(2.1x) I had with the ATC'S VERY Special but it developed a fault, would love to go there again if funds allow some day.
Get the speakers and start your demo's...

To me, simply on s/s and valved CDP experience and lots of received wisdom here and other forums, the ISIS (valved) would be the one I'd go for if I didn't have my 4 box LECTOR. I had the 2 box one before, which was in itself superb, and there wasn't much enhancement with the 4 box; enough, though. Failing that, the s/s ISIS, which has a manufacturer of repute in Southend, enough spares put by to last generations, and would certainly contend with other s/s CDPs on the market around that price point (and above?).

Your priorities are lowering box count and top class s.q. (and synergy, of course), but to me, you should only have one priority (guess which one?) Anyway, seriously consider a valved unit; much closer to the organic vinyl experience. Very close indeed.

advertisement

Back