advertisement

Kobe Bryant RIP

RIP of course because that can be the only response but I am not sure that SKY sports should create a Princess Diana style event out of this incident.

RIP etc But I've never heard of him and can't see why the hell it was front page main headline on BBC News site for 24 hours...
Something like netball I think?
Meanwhile UK footballer Jordan Sinnott was murdered and it got nowhere near as much coverage.

Why do we give a toss what the various media outlets do with this? A very famous father, his teenage daughter and several other people have died in a tragic accident. RIP and may our thoughts be with them, along with the many other folks who die daily.

Unfortunately people die in accidents all the time. I was also surprised it was the top news story so assumed something more important was being hidden.

RIP etc But I've never heard of him and can't see why the hell it was front page main headline on BBC News site for 24 hours...
Something like netball I think?
Meanwhile UK footballer Jordan Sinnott was murdered and it got nowhere near as much coverage.
Jordan Sinnott used to play for my team as did his father, I watched both. However, I do concede that Kobe Bryant is the bigger story. American sports are quite popular over here.

Sky Sports was a little over the top, the whole programme was dedicated to him this morning.

He is an all time great.

He is absolutely an all time great. The fact that basketball clearly isn't a sport of choice for white middle class pinkfishies doesn't detract from his global greatness.

It's sports news and a general interest story in the UK, not the country's leading news headline. The Guardian called it rightly. I'd say the same if it had been say Madison Bumgarner or Tom Brady. Imagine the Yanks leading all the national news headlines with a similar story about, say, Joe Root. Perspective..

Americans don’t follow our sporting scene over much. They don't have a clue about cricket, basketball & American football has a strong following here as it was shown free to air for quite a while on C4.

Americans don’t follow our sporting scene over much. They don't have a clue about cricket, basketball & American football has a strong following here as it was shown free to air for quite a while on C4.

That's my point - NBA is very much a minority sport here, as are the other american sports. That's why we snigger when they say e.g. 'World Series'.

Personally I struggle with basketball simply because you run down the court and score then the other team do like wise, eventually you win 120-117....I know much more is involved as is the truth about Bryant. Good basketball player? apparently one of the best.....Saintly Character? apparently not,despite image....allegations of rape or non consensual sex which involved damage to victims vagina, say otherwise.

Wake me up when Jack Nicklaus or Wayne Gretsky pop.

Saintly Character? apparently not,despite image....allegations of rape or non consensual sex which involved damage to victims vagina, say otherwise.

He got away with that at the time but pretty much admitted it was non consensual later.

He got away with that at the time but pretty much admitted it was non consensual later.

Not really. In fact, his so-called apology to her was for having (in his view) consensual sex. He admitted no criminal guilt. Recall he made this statement after the case was dismissed, and no evidence has since come up to show he was compelled to do so as part of a deal to drop criminal charges.

Also recall that DNA evidence showed the same young lady in question had sex with someone else within 15 hours of her encounter with Bryant. I don't know how unusual that might be (very, I suspect), but it was key to dropping the criminal charges.

I am not an expert in this field, and I am not in any way condoning what Bryant did. His infidelity was obviously wrong. But Bryant did, by all accounts, reconcile with his wife, and they went on to have four daughters.

Not really. In fact, his so-called apology to her was for having (in his view) consensual sex. He admitted no criminal guilt. Recall he made this statement after the case was dismissed, and no evidence has since come up to show he was compelled to do so as part of a deal to drop criminal charges.

I think he said something along the lines of that he though it was consensual, but he understood that she might not have seen it that way.

That's my point - NBA is very much a minority sport here, as are the other american sports. That's why we snigger when they say e.g. 'World Series'.
Re-Read what I said. American sports do have a following over here & have for a while. It is not always reciprocated though.

Basketball is a huge participant sport in this country. I run a Friends group on a local park and we're getting a hoop installed in a couple of months due to popularity (and table tennis table if anyone fancies a game :)). Get yourself to the inner city where there’s less open space and more BAME kids and it’s even bigger, and I bet Kobe was a hero to a lot of them.

and now there is a bit of rumble brewing because a WP reporter had the balls to bring up his rape allegations and is being censured for it.

advertisement

Back