advertisement

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just quoting this in the hope our Brexit supporting posters might respond to it.... they seem to be trying to ignore it. One of the best posts on pfm IMO, thanks for putting it together.
What about some of the real-world basics? We are at the end of the month again ...next week I have this to look forward to: 4 VAT returns in 4 different languages, all asking different questions. One for UK, one for France, one for Germany and one for Spain.

We only turn over 700,00 per year. Hopefully next month we will only have to do 3 VAT returns.

I dunno about that, it worked OK for me. I came out at 16 with an O level (now GCSE) and a decent grasp of the language in 1983, and I have no further French quali's. After a bit of night school action about 1992 I got *a bit* better, and I just used it on holiday and with French friends through the 90s. Quite good by 1996-7. Then 2002, I did some work in France. 2003, moved there full time. Worked like hell, fully fluent.

If there is anything tragic about the UK it is the undervaluing of anyone speaking a foreign language and the people that are proud of the fact that they don't speak anything other than English.

My comments come from comparing my nephews' knowledge and fluency of English and French with my own children's knowledge and fluency of French and Spanish.
Could be that our school isn't representative, though it did get an Outstanding report from Ofsted some years ago (and has never been inspected since).

What about some of the real-world basics? We are at the end of the month again ...next week I have this to look forward to: 4 VAT returns in 4 different languages, all asking different questions. One for UK, one for France, one for Germany and one for Spain.

We only turn over 700,00 per year. Hopefully next month we will only have to do 3 VAT returns.

Is 70,000 or 700,000. If the latter, pretty impressive.

Crazy, all that bloody bureaucracy. I thought we were in a single market.

I think that is referred to as 'confirmation bias'.

Refer to it however you wish, but it's a well written, well informed post that gives lie to much of the Brexiters' populist rhetoric!

Don't worry, you can relax. Kris has even taken the wind out of my sails! Needless to say, I very much disagree with (most of) what he wrote as it is both narrowly focussed, ignores a large number of indubitable facts regarding the EU institutions, and is, well...wrong on numerous counts. But I've already set my case out, and if I did so again I would probably be hoofed from the thread for 'circularity' and thread-crapping, as it distracts from what is an important point from the OP. I'm sure we'll meet elsewhere on the forum.

That's almost a flounce :D

Is 70,000 or 700,000. If the latter, pretty impressive.

Crazy, all that bloody bureaucracy. I thought we were in a single market.
The latter.....in euros. I am nearly done with it though, EV. I sold half the company last month and hope to sell the other half to the same buyer next year if I can get turn over up a bit more.

Fed up of the accounting and the corporate service suppliers; Amazon, eBay, Stripe and PayPal basically. They don't treat me like I treat my customers at all. They treat me as if I should feel privileged to be working with them. I am thinking of something more cash based and less full-time. No more massive out of control multinational companies. I am split between a food catering van at motorbike events or horse transportation with my brother.

What do you think?

The latter.....in euros. I am nearly done with it though, EV. I sold half the company last month and hope to sell the other half to the same buyer next year if I can get turn over up a bit more.

Fed up of the accounting and the corporate service suppliers; Amazon, eBay, Stripe and PayPal basically. They don't treat me like I treat my customers at all. They treat me as if I should feel privileged to be working with them. I am thinking of something more cash based and less full-time. No more massive out of control multinational companies. I am split between a food catering van at motorbike events or horse transportation with my brother.

What do you think?

No to good catering van at events. Up front-fees to book for season/ahead pitches at events can be crippling.

Horse transportation? Tell us more

May I add quality cremant importation as a well-honed skill and one with repeat business potential year round? :cool:

No to good catering van at events. Up front-fees to book for season/ahead pitches at events can be crippling.

May I add quality cremant importation as a well-honed skill and one with repeat business potential year round? :cool:
Your point about only getting 20% whilst restaurants get 65% and then don't pay the bill was well erm interesting. But I am still thinking it over.

Sorry it was EV that said that about some margins.

My brother is a smart arse. He is a team manager at KPMG and earns way too much money. He is now 54 and hates it. The horse transportation idea is his. He has had horses all his life and claims there is decent money to be made at it. I'm just in for the ride there, really. He is way smarter than me, usually succeeds at whatever and so is probably onto something.

Actually I see myself as belonging to a pariah social echelon, that of the foreigners. But my background gives me a different, wider perspective. I have inside as well as outside knowlege and experience. I grew up listening to music in other languages, watching subtitled cartoons and films spoken in other languages, reading books by foreign writers in their native languages, about other countries, interacted with foreign visitors that did not speak my mother tongue. That makes a hell of a difference.

The way foreign languages are taught in state schools here in England (and the cultural background that comes with learning a language) is tragic.
While EV’s tongue may not have the breadth you have, his posts indicate his is fifty times as long. Some times I wonder if he gets sales because the customer will pay in order to terminate the onslaught. It’s not unknown.

Yes top notch but in this strange world that counts for nothing in the UK. You have bungling Boris and his merry band of do-gooders
Are you referring to Boris our leader who has won an outstanding victory at the recent election. I don't think your man Leo will be around for much longer. Barnier will send the whole of Europe into recession if he disrupts trade.

700 a year!

hardly worth getting out of bed for.

Are you referring to Boris our leader who has won an outstanding victory at the recent election. I don't think your man Leo will be around for much longer. Barnier will send the whole of Europe into recession if he disrupts trade.

Johnson has enthusiastically signed up to disrupting trade within the UK (between NI and the mainland) with the WA... the self-serving, lying, opportunistic twat.

They’re going to have to lower the minimum skill requirements and annual pay threshold for immigrants just to keep the NHS, social care, food manufacturers and agriculture afloat. Watch Johnson row back on promise after promise. Norman Marcel Marceau Smith was on the BBC claiming they had to let the Chinese build the 5G network as it was part of levelling up the North with the South and Johnson had to choose between antagonising Trump or the new Tory voters in Doncaster and Bolsover. They’re fed up getting drop outs while watching London Has Fallen on Sky on the new 65” telly.

Johnson has enthusiastically signed up to disrupting trade within the UK (between NI and the mainland) with the WA... the self-serving, lying, opportunistic twat.
Yes, and those that voted for him via the proxy of 'get Brexit done ' / a vote for the Conservatives IOW, need to utterly own this idiotic choice; and the many, many other failures about to land on them, and the rest of us, so hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back