advertisement

Dynavector amplifiers

Could I get you to take the lid off the HX1.2 and post a pic? There's really not much info available on whats inside DV amps. I suspect that's because they would look exactly the same as Bedini

The DV amps were 'inspired' by Bedini and do look pretty much the same inside.

Look similar ( ish ) internally on pics I once saw of a Bedini. Also chassis / case similar. But , Bedini had two rows of multiple transistors internally on either side. Dynavecter HX 1.2only has two transistors per side. They are bolted on the outsides of the main chassis but within heatsink fin area and covered in platsic cases . Transistors are a type of fet transistor. Hexfets. Hence the HX ?

Dynavecter HX 1.2only has two transistors per side. They are bolted on the outsides of the main chassis but within heatsink fin area and covered in platsic cases . Transistors are a type of fet transistor. Hexfets. Hence the HX ?
Can't be true (can it?) These amps chuck out something like 100w per channel and enough current to weld! There was a Bedini 10/10 and that had 3 per side (not a sale item apparently)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/quad-esl57-frustrations.529252/page-4

Thanks Kevin, The PSU looks identical, but with the traffo inside a box. The bits I really need to see are under the circuit boards.

A proper view of that board from above would be great, looks very similar.

Regards Bedini amps going unstabe; the 4 small input devices need to be matched, they get hot and over the years drift. Very easy fix.

I’ve had the hx75,1.2 & 100 and so regret selling the hx100 when we needed to pay for double glazing.
Longing for another or something equally as capable of powering my Shahinian hawks but doubt any will become available until a new model arrives and people trade up

Haha! Exactly, we now know who isn’t “dedicated” to the cause! Double glazing, pah! Who needs that? Beans on toast for months, or just toast, maybe even just beans....now we are talking! :)

anyone ever try Bryston monoblocs with Shahinian? I've always thought something like 7BSSTs would work well or Plinius Monos.

Superb amps IME.

In terms of value i’d say:

Hx75 (75w) - £700
HX75 (100w)- £800
Hx1.2 mk1 - £1,700
Hx1.2 mk2 - £2.000
HX100 - £3,000

jim

Jim

Those figures match what I’ve seen in recent years. What about the pre-amplifiers? Have any idea of what they go for?

Regards

Kevin

If it is any consolation, DV amps are just as difficult to come by Down Under where they are made. It was almost pure luck that I found a second-hand HX-1.2 mk2. Still searching for the matching L-300, ideally with P-300 inbuilt.
James, really curious on your take of DV amps vs. your beloved Pioneer C21/P22 (is that the model names? I can't remember) and a higher end naim rig (olive or otherwise)

James, really curious on your take of DV amps vs. your beloved Pioneer C21/P22 (is that the model names? I can't remember) and a higher end naim rig (olive or otherwise)
You're putting me on the spot now.

I'll start from the back. The last Naim amps I had was 52, Supercap and 135s. That was in the early 2000s, so my memory will have faded. I recall being rather enamoured with their dynamic and engaging presentation. The 52 brought musical finesse that the preceding 82 lacked. I thought the 135s had an iron grip, until they met their match with my Ergo E-Vs. Overall, the 52/135 seemed to enhance dynamic contrasts and made rhythmic music sound more intelligible and interesting. I really liked them.

You did not ask about Densen amps, but since they were my next step, I'll add my brief views for context. The 52/135s were replaced by B-250/B-350s, mainly because the E-V needed a more powerful amplifier. Immediately, the coloration of the Naim became obvious. The Densen maintained rhythmic integrity but not at the expense of subtlety and nuance. If there was a downside, they can sound a tad clinical and matter-of-fact.

The Pioneer C-21/M-22 came along after 10 years of Densen contentment. Both pre and power amps needed restorative work, and so I did not do the comparison until they were done. Nonetheless, at first listen, they sounded rather special. I invited some friends over for the big reveal. RustyB of this parish was one of them. He was already familiar with my previous Naim and Densen amps. When I made the switch to the Pioneers, jaws dropped. It would not be an exaggeration to say that everyone, including myself, was surprised by what the 30+ year old amps did in direct comparison with top-of-the-line Densen. The pure class-A amps sounded utterly natural, organic yet engagingly dynamic and subtle at the same time. They made the Densen amps sound ordinary. I'm sure they aren't, but the Densens have been sitting in their boxes in the attic for the last 4-5 years and I'm contemplating selling them.

The DV HX-1.2mk2 was the last addition. I realised that the C-21/M-22 works well only with reasonably sensitive loudspeakers; mainly because they have only 30W and I like to play loud music. They sound somewhat flat with the E-IX, for example, but works beautifully with the NS-1000Ms. That's where the DV comes in. It has a similar sonic character to the 135s, except they sound a touch drier. Compared with the M-22 (and being driven from the C-21), the DV seems more authoritative but less organic and less subtle. I swap over the the DV when I want an aural thrashing, but 90% of the time, I much prefer the C-21/M-22.

I'd rank Pioneer C-21/M-22 > DV HX-1.2mk2 = 52/135 > B-250/B-350s.

man. a straight answer with plain reason. a man after my own heart.

one day I'm gonna have to hear your magnum opus; the E-X's. How are they rolling by the way?

The E-Xs sit forlorn in the corner of my music room facing the wall like a pair of dunces. Sadly, I haven't tired of the NS-1000Ms yet.

advertisement

Back