advertisement

Lower cost - 'second tier' car hire companies ?

I had a nightmare with Goldcar in Madeira - absolute arseholes.

They hide behind other names, so be careful despite rental charges from around £2 a day being very tempting!

Interestingly, got a great deal with Hertz via Amex so worth checking if you are a cardholder.

If you must have booze, pop into Carrefour in Marrakech on the way out and fill up with wine. Surprisingly, Morrocan wine is actually not that bad. Morrocan beer is horrid. There's a beer bar near the souk in Marrakech, but it really isn't worth seeking out. Don't drink in public unless locals already are - I generally keep my drinking there to hotel terraces.

You can also make a few quid selling surplus wine to any thirsty Westerners you might meet on your travels.

Taroudant is worth an overnight stop between Imlil and the coast. A slightly more genuine and less hassly place than Marrakech.

I always prefer a hire car to relying on taxis when abroad, but each to their own.

I am the same but unsure about hiring a car for our upcoming trip to Morocco. Hence I am enjoying the detail being provided on this thread. Never been before. We are going to Marrakesh for the first night then heading to Essaouira for 5 days. Back to Marrakesh with a view to doing day trips to the Atlas mountains etc.

Would agree with the views here re car hire. Hertz are the safest I have experienced but have survived Goldcar hires with some amazing good luck. Last year in Athens we stopped for a bit of lunch about an hour after hiring the car. It had lots of dents but I never spotted a big gouge that was below the door line in the subframe. Took a photo and used it as evidence when returning. I reckoned they knew it was there when I put up resistance they gave up.

Subsequently in Tenerife again with Goldcar I left keys in the boot and accidentally shut it. Bloody Skoda Favourit locked itself. Had to get a garage to get the keys out. They did damage to the door paint work but Goldcar never coped it when we returned the car. They also forgot to charge us for the call out which was not covered under their hire agreement :D

Last edited:
tonerei, I hope you bought a lottery ticket that week. Alternatively, I hope you were VERY careful crossing the road for the next month because you very definitely used up every scrap of your luck there. Goldcar's business model is to get the cars out there and then gouge the living sh*t out of every poor bast*rd who has the keys when something goes wrong.

Yes thought my luck was in alright so did buy a lotto ticket but unfortunately all my good luck was used up on Goldcar :( .

What annoyed me was the bloody Skoda. What logic applies to that car baffles me. Locking itself! I checked both our Citroen's when I got home and they don't do that. Somebody in Skoda definitely over thought that.

advertisement

Back