advertisement

Best phono mm

Vince

pfm Member
I want to use mm cartridge.
I love what my Reson Reca does with Naim stageline N.
How to better it further?
Thanks
Vincenzo

I use a Vista Audio Phono 1 mk2 with my Reson Reca. It was significantly better than my Trichord Dino, LFD Mistral or Hagerman Bugle 2.

Budget? Have you thought of trying the RSL phono stage? Kit does a generous loaner scheme, so you and see if it suits for free. The MM version is US$700 I believe.

I don’t know your cartridge but had a Stageline N for many years, powered by the Aux 2 on a 252/SC/300. I now use an NVA Phono 1 (with smaller Naim amps) and to my ears, it’s way ahead of the Stageline.

Speak to Jez/Arkless and/or have a look at the Graham Slee Reflex or Accession M.

Lots of options to choose from, but it would help if we had a bit more information
  • your budget
  • do you see this as an upgrade, or are you looking for your definitive phono stage
  • preference for valve or s/s
  • do you want the ability to alter loading & capacitance, or would you prefer to minimise the number of contacts/switches, which might potentially degrade the signal by a small amount
Valve options include Croft, TRON Convergence, EAR at cheaper sub £1.5k end to Einstein, Audio Research, TRON Seven, LAMM etc at the high end.
SS options include Graham Slee, Rega, Trilogy 907, Parasound Halo, and the LCR stages like the Aurorasound Vida

I'll second the Tron Convergence , I foolishly sold one and missed it so much I went and bought another .

Lots of options to choose from, but it would help if we had a bit more information
  • your budget
  • do you see this as an upgrade, or are you looking for your definitive phono stage
  • preference for valve or s/s
  • do you want the ability to alter loading & capacitance, or would you prefer to minimise the number of contacts/switches, which might potentially degrade the signal by a small amount
Valve options include Croft, TRON Convergence, EAR at cheaper sub £1.5k end to Einstein, Audio Research, TRON Seven, LAMM etc at the high end.
SS options include Graham Slee, Rega, Trilogy 907, Parasound Halo, and the LCR stages like the Aurorasound Vida

I actually have the Stageline powered by a Naim Supercap (non DR).
As a result I fear that I have to spend at least 2000 euro for a "definitive" phono stage.
I prefer solid state but could consider valve.
I would like to alter capacitance and loading.
The turntable is a Planar 10 (the last skeletal one).
Thanks to all
Vincenzo

As a result I fear that I have to spend at least 2000 euro for a "definitive" phono stage.
Thanks to all
Vincenzo

Aura ?

Thanks to all
Vincenzo

As I said up thread, my Stageline was powered by a Supercap (non DR). The (cheaper) NVA sounds better to my ears with my cartridge (AT VM540ML). In hindsight, I just don’t think the Stageline is particularly good, however it is powered. You shouldn’t need to spend a fortune to better it.

advertisement

Back