advertisement

Lower cost - 'second tier' car hire companies ?

-alan-

pfm Member
Planning to travel to Marrakech with some old college buddies in a months time for some hiking, and am going to need to organise a vehicle of some kind - preferably not hugely expensive, but from a company which is likely to actually exist when we get there, and not leave me haggling with some local chap in a side-street garage.

Was talking to a friend who travels fairly frequently about car-hire overseas. He said best value - apart from the local companies - was usually to be found through some of the offshoots of the larger well known brands, that are essentially a 2nd tier brand, with slightly older/crappier cars. He named a few which were (supposedly) owned by Hertz, Europcar, and Avis - but for the life of me I cannot recall any of them.

Anybody any pointers or names for who might operate this 2nd tier sector (if in fact it actually exists) ?

Be brave and just hire something when you get there. Research what the big firms charge and offer 10% of that. Haggle hard but politely and pretend to walk away. Their first offer will be double what Avis charge. Don’t let that put you off.

Normally they won’t even care if you put a few dents in it. Avis will charge you a fortune for a bit of imported desert. When it’s all gone pear shaped you’ll have some great stories to tell.

After you’ve ignored my advice, do proper internet research and pick the best deal. The less fancy the vehicle the better frankly. Or just get the bus into the desert and hike from there.

Which ever way you go, I recommend using Questor Insurance to ensure you have adequate insurance to include excess cover etc.

If you don't want a car every day check out taxis. They are remarkably cheap, and the driver knows what he is doing in downtown Marrakech and the road to Imlil or wherever you go. In addition you can sprawl across the back seat of a 1977 Mercedes 240D, hang a languid arm out of the car and pretend to be an intrepid explorer. Good call re XS insurance. Haggling is of course de rigeur and the ability to shoulder a big rucksack and gaze into the middle distance as if contemplating the long walk ahead will allow you to get the ride at minimal cost.

Avis’ B-tier is Budget, not sure about Europcar and Hertz. As stated, excess insurance is a must.
But do consider the taxi option. A local driver always comes in handy.

Avoid Europcar and their subsidiaries InterRent and Goldcar. They are well known shysters as any search will show.

I've just checked and the last company I hired with in Marrakech was Argus Car hire. I booked ahead via the internet. Dirt cheap, but we got possibly the rattiest hire car ever - a Renault Clio so battered I had to wedge a T Shirt under the boot lid to stop it clanking. Turned out OK as we proceeded to give it a massive battering across miles of Atlas mountain jeep track and there was no way they could have detected whose damage was what. Although I can't guarantee your experience will be the same, ours couldn't have been better.

There are loads of amazing places to stay that can be accessed by car from Marrakech and its a great place to start a road trip. Where are you hiking? The Djebel Saro? High Atlas? I can provide you with the locations of some funky little gite d'etapes off the beaten track if you're interested.

Watch for the fuzz if you're driving in Morocco and never let them take your passports out of your sight if you re stopped- although I've only had a dodgy encounter with them once in many trips to the country.

Go have a trip on Al Boraq, Morocco’s HSL. They actually built one.
Casablanca to Tangier. 200 mph.

I've just checked and the last company I hired with in Marrakech was Argus Car hire. I booked ahead via the internet. Dirt cheap, but we got possibly the rattiest hire car ever - a Renault Clio so battered I had to wedge a T Shirt under the boot lid to stop it clanking. Turned out OK as we proceeded to give it a massive battering across miles of Atlas mountain jeep track and there was no way they could have detected whose damage was what. Although I can't guarantee your experience will be the same, ours couldn't have been better.

There are loads of amazing places to stay that can be accessed by car from Marrakech and its a great place to start a road trip. Where are you hiking? The Djebel Saro? High Atlas? I can provide you with the locations of some funky little gite d'etapes off the beaten track if you're interested.

Watch for the fuzz if you're driving in Morocco and never let them take your passports out of your sight if you re stopped- although I've only had a dodgy encounter with them once in many trips to the country.
We hire 5 or 6 cars a year in Spain and the more scratched and dented they are, the happier I am!
Just make sure you always photograph and video the car when picking it up, if you are not buying the car hire companies insurance.

Thanks one and all.

Yup - pre-arranged XS insurance cover is on the cards, and consensus is the chaps don't mind going with the lets Wing It / intrepid African explorer approach, and do some 'aggling when we get there. Having widened the circle of culpability to the rest of the group now, I'm happy with that :)

Point about the Federales is well made. I was with a chap in a car in Addis at ones stage when the cops tried to hustle a fine out of him for driving with the side lights on - in a Volvo.

Plan is to spend 48 hours in Marrakesh, then 3 nights in Imil in the mountains for some hiking, then back to the Coast for some RnR. If you've any tips or pointers - id be delighted to get a steer. Pm me if it's handier ?
Thanks, Alan

Imlil is a great place to be based and a taxi is a better option than a hire car. It costs about 15 or 20 Euro (5 year old prices) after suitable haggling to get there from Marrakech. After that you can walk, choose your location to suit. You can go up towards Toubkal or explore the valley opposite, which is very interesting. There is a pass, name escapes me, that is above a village that we used as a base. One thing, you will lose weight. You can’t easily get alcohol out in the villages, and the food is healthy but low on meat. I came back very fit indeed and half a stone lighter. This was my target weight but upon my return I decided that staying there was rather hard work. Small portions, no alcohol and charging up and down 4000m peaks? I should coco.

Taxis might fit even better with the middle aged lads pseudo Gap-Year vibe :)

What's the deal with alcohol there generally ? I know it's predominately a Sunni Muslim country - but had imagined the rules on alcohol would have been relatively relaxed in the tourist areas.
Against that, had heard stories from a mate on a cycle tour around North Africa about being 'fined' by a local cop for drinking beer out of a bottle on the beach. Can't recall if that was Morocco or Algeria mind you.

I drank a lot in Marrakech but less outside. The taxi idea is a good one and buses do exist.

You can get alcohol in cities in hotel bars. Out in the mountains generally not. Beach resorts possibly easier. You will be indoors though. I wouldn't drink outdoors in Morocco any more than I would wander around shirtless. I wouldnt encourage a woman to show off a lot of flesh either. Just out of courtesy more than any rules.

Taxis might fit even better with the middle aged lads pseudo Gap-Year vibe :)

What's the deal with alcohol there generally ? I know it's predominately a Sunni Muslim country - but had imagined the rules on alcohol would have been relatively relaxed in the tourist areas.
Against that, had heard stories from a mate on a cycle tour around North Africa about being 'fined' by a local cop for drinking beer out of a bottle on the beach. Can't recall if that was Morocco or Algeria mind you.

If you must have booze, pop into Carrefour in Marrakech on the way out and fill up with wine. Surprisingly, Morrocan wine is actually not that bad. Morrocan beer is horrid. There's a beer bar near the souk in Marrakech, but it really isn't worth seeking out. Don't drink in public unless locals already are - I generally keep my drinking there to hotel terraces.

You can also make a few quid selling surplus wine to any thirsty Westerners you might meet on your travels.

Taroudant is worth an overnight stop between Imlil and the coast. A slightly more genuine and less hassly place than Marrakech.

I always prefer a hire car to relying on taxis when abroad, but each to their own.

Avoid Europcar and their subsidiaries InterRent and Goldcar. They are well known shysters as any search will show.
Agreed.
Before you leave the forecourt take photos of every aspect of the car, including the wheels as some companies will try anything to make you pay extra for 'damage.'

advertisement

Back