advertisement

Festival of Brexit, 2022 -it’s a thing. Exciting as a man with a firework up his arse.

If this event includes the public paying to throw turnips at Farage and Johnson all day I'm sure it will be a roaring success.

Anything more satisfying would be against the law as I understand it. Even the most ardent Brexiteer living on benefits or savings by then should be queuing up over night.

Brexiteers' dream set to come true in a few days...

But they are going to be upset and angry because Big Ben won't chime for a few seconds.

A perfect snapshot of the existential Brexiteer anguish.

At 11pm, Farage should take to the stage and belt out...

After finding out that getting the bells to chime is not as simple as bunging a bob, and that indeed govt would need to change the law regarding public funding according to the Telegraph a No 10 source added: “I don’t think we ever thought it would be as complex as the House of Commons authorities have since set out.”

I somehow think we are going to hear this quite a few times during De Pfeffel’s term of office.

Assuming the previous two posts are not rhetorical mischief making here’s why...

“ ...The House of Commons Commissions committee said any changes to the revenue of Parliament had to be cleared by the Commons, meaning a parliamentary vote would be needed.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker, said it was open to Mr Johnson to table a motion on Monday ordering Big Ben to chime for Brexit.

He said: “The decision was taken in the Commission. If somebody wants to change that decision, as I said from day one, this should be the will of the House because it is political.”

However, amid growing confusion, Downing Street sources said there was no guarantee that the work necessary to make Big Ben bong could be done in time, meaning the Prime Minister could not propose a vote that would encourage more people to donate.

The Prime Minister’s deputy official spokesman said: “This a matter for the House, which has indicated they would not accept the money were the public to fundraise for this. The PM’s focus is on the Government’s plans to mark January 31.” A No 10 source added: “I don’t think we ever thought it would be as complex as the House of Commons authorities have since set out.”

Downing Street also indicated there was a problem with the Prime Minister endorsing a crowdfunding campaign if there was no assurance that the money could be returned to donors in the event it was not used for the intended purpose. StandUp4Brexit said the cash would be donated to Help For Heroes if Big Ben could not be made to chime...”

Telegraph Friday edition

After finding out that getting the bells to chime is not as simple as bunging a bob, and that indeed govt would need to change the law regarding public funding according to the Telegraph a No 10 source added: “I don’t think we ever thought it would be as complex as the House of Commons authorities have since set out.”

I somehow think we are going to hear this quite a few times during De Pfeffel’s term of office.
It's surely the EU thats behind it? I mean, we've got back sovereignty, havent we? Nothing can stop us now!

Er, even us.

He puts it perfectly as always...

"Why, even in their moment of triumph, do the Brexiters need this self-pitying narrative? It is another episode in the blame game that has been implicit from the start of the Brexit saga. Brexit is inherently anticlimactic. This is not just because the botched process of negotiating withdrawal has turned the gush of liberation into a dribble, with Independence Days (29 March; 31 October) coming and going like a millenarian preacher’s predictions for the end of the world. It is not just because the special memorial 50p coins had to be melted down. It is because the act of liberation itself is fundamentally spurious.

"Revolutions unleash euphoria because they create tangible images of change and inaugurate, at least in the fevered minds of their supporters, a new epoch. Brexit can’t do either of these things. The problem with a revolt against imaginary oppression is that you end up with imaginary freedom. How do you actually show that the yoke of Brussels has been lifted? You can’t bring prawn cocktail-flavoured crisps back into the shops, or release stout British fishermen from the humiliation of having to wear hair nets at work on the high seas, or unban donkey rides on beaches, or right any of the other great wrongs that fuelled anti-EU sentiment – because all of it was make-believe."

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...test-brexiters-big-ben?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Assuming the previous two posts are not rhetorical mischief making here’s why...

“ ...The House of Commons Commissions committee said any changes to the revenue of Parliament had to be cleared by the Commons, meaning a parliamentary vote would be needed.

Sir Lindsay Hoyle, the Speaker, said it was open to Mr Johnson to table a motion on Monday ordering Big Ben to chime for Brexit.

He said: “The decision was taken in the Commission. If somebody wants to change that decision, as I said from day one, this should be the will of the House because it is political.”

However, amid growing confusion, Downing Street sources said there was no guarantee that the work necessary to make Big Ben bong could be done in time, meaning the Prime Minister could not propose a vote that would encourage more people to donate.

The Prime Minister’s deputy official spokesman said: “This a matter for the House, which has indicated they would not accept the money were the public to fundraise for this. The PM’s focus is on the Government’s plans to mark January 31.” A No 10 source added: “I don’t think we ever thought it would be as complex as the House of Commons authorities have since set out.”

Downing Street also indicated there was a problem with the Prime Minister endorsing a crowdfunding campaign if there was no assurance that the money could be returned to donors in the event it was not used for the intended purpose. StandUp4Brexit said the cash would be donated to Help For Heroes if Big Ben could not be made to chime...”

Telegraph Friday edition

The words piss-up and brewery come to mind.

Why is it so expensive to make a bong? You need a plastic drink bottle, the inside of a bog roll and some sticky backed plastic. I saw John Noakes do it on Blue Peter. I think it was the same programme when Val Singleton spent the whole show on the studio floor staring at the lights and Peter Purves went on tour with Pink Floyd.

Why is it so expensive to make a bong? You need a plastic drink bottle, the inside of a bog roll and some sticky backed plastic. I saw John Noakes do it on Blue Peter. I think it was the same programme when Val Singleton spent the whole show on the studio floor staring at the lights and Peter Purves went on tour with Pink Floyd.

Wow! I missed that one but will never forget the baby elephant pizzing on the floor and dragging his keeper through it on his @rse.

Maybe Blue Peter will have a VE Day commemorative episode with instructions on how to make Big Ben out of a used Jaffa Cake box and visit a class room where they’re teaching six year olds how to use pounds shillings and pence at the school tuck shop to buy Empire biscuits.

Brexiteers' dream set to come true in a few days...

But they are going to be upset and angry because Big Ben won't chime for a few seconds.

A perfect snapshot of the existential Brexiteer anguish.

At 11pm, Farage should take to the stage and belt out...

Nothing will effectively change on 1st February, so the Brexiteers will claim that the concerns were all 'project fear'.

By the time the fan is fecalised at the end of 2020 (Javid has said no to any alignment with the EU, so it's a hard Brexit in effect) they'll have forgotten that the problems are caused by our decision to leave the EU, as the Tory press will blame it on someone (anyone) else.

Plus Javid will borrow like hell and the BoE inject cash/lower rates to shore up the economy.

It'll be five years before the real effects are felt.

Stephen

Harry and Meghan- their announcement was obviously timed as a slap in the face to all the brave men and women who fought for freedom. The Daily Express will have a fundraiser- bung a bob to bring the traitors back and tar and feather them.

Last edited:
Harry and Meghan- their announcement was obviously timed as a slap in the face to all the brave men and women who fought for freedom. The Daily Express will have a fundraiser- bung a bob to bring to bring the traitors back and tar and feather them.

it's not psychologically healthy to make anger about a circumstance you can't change the core of your existence for years on end.

Nothing will effectively change on 1st February, so the Brexiteers will claim that the concerns were all 'project fear'.

By the time the fan is fecalised at the end of 2020 (Javid has said no to any alignment with the EU, so it's a hard Brexit in effect) they'll have forgotten that the problems are caused by our decision to leave the EU, as the Tory press will blame it on someone (anyone) else.

Plus Javid will borrow like hell and the BoE inject cash/lower rates to shore up the economy.

It'll be five years before the real effects are felt.

Stephen

More crystal balls. Respect.

advertisement

Back