advertisement

ATC40 Actives on home dem

I have the active 19 for some months. Really like them. Easy to position, no boomy bass to overwhelm the midrange, very cohesive, lots of detail, great imaging and soundstaging. Room is decently/average treated, rather small room, 3m by 3.4m. The only negative point I can find, they need some volume to sound good, which is fine by me.

Will a pair of active 50 be too big for my room? Well, just a general question, very happy with the active 19, suits the room well and sounding great to me.

Speakers are a very personal thing & very room dependent. I certainly don't find them fatiguing, if anything they are warmer than the SBLs.

Can it be due to the 40 that you’re listening to, has a denser midrange presence as compare to SBL, cause you to feel it is warmer?

A few years ago I tried passive MK1 SCM40s in my system. At the time I actually thought their bass was their strongest quality (I used them away from walls with Nap135s). Don’t get me wrong, this comment about the bass isn’t intended as a slight and I did like them; but whilst I thought the mid detailed and uncoloured I ultimately found it a bit short on dynamic ‘expression’. In addition, I found the treble to be innocuous but somewhat lacking in detail (at that time ATC had yet to release their own tweeter) and a definite weakness compared to the rest of the speaker.

Can it be due to the 40 that you’re listening to, has a denser midrange presence as compare to SBL, cause you to feel it is warmer?
Quite possibly, these things are never in isolation. It is a completely different speaker to the SBL, has a weightier sound which doesn't sound as 'quick' but as you listen you understand it's balance of qualities.

For the 1st two or 3 minutes I listened I honestly thought, 'i'm not sure I like this' but as I've lived with them for a while they seem to get better & better.

I was listening to Louis Armstrong 'hot 5s & 7s' the other night, very low quality recordings as they are disc transfers but I still heard certain details for the fist time.

...Room is decently/average treated, rather small room, 3m by 3.4m. The only negative point I can find, they need some volume to sound good, which is fine by me.

Will a pair of active 50 be too big for my room? Well, just a general question, very happy with the active 19, suits the room well and sounding great to me.

I’d say, unfortunately they would be too much for that room. I had them in a room 3.1x4.2m and fantastic as they were 90% of the time, sometimes they just overwhelmed.

Perhaps 40s? I’ve never heard them but this thread should provide some clues!

All speakers sound better louder, that somehow ATC are somehow poorer is just another hi-fi myth.
Keith

Well thanks for telling me. I thought years of owning 50s and many other speakers entitled me to post an opinion on my findings!

So, to be clear, I found that 50s suffered far more than many speakers I’ve had in this respect.

Seriously Keith, for such a lovely chap in person, you can be a little brusque as an e-entity. :)

When I listened too loud my wife tells me off.

Before I treated my room’s LF issues I installed 2x 4x15” IB subwoofers in the ceiling of the listening room and integrated that with my stereo setup. I can distinctly recall my wife poking her head in, in the wee hours asking me to turn it down. Even a firewall between the listening room and rest of house couldn’t keep that LF contained.

Chunk traps replaced the IB’s and the ATC’s bottom end came into its own. Loved listening in that room.

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts". :)

I totally accept that. If I can be proved to be incorrect by educated explanation I’ll put it down to bias or whatever.

However, to me it seems not unreasonable that speakers, being mechanical beasts, will potentially behave in such complex ways that it’s possible that some are less linear than others in their ability to scale as accurately with volume as others might.

Have I used enough words to sound credible?

advertisement

Back