advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Yikes! No chance! I deliberately keep my business very, very simple. I buy and sell records and CDs. No one pays me anything at all until the mailer is full (which can take months) and the order is ready to go out the door. I’d not do business any other way. I also deliberately keep the Trade Account advertising facility absurdly cheap as not really caring if I renew an account or not is a good position to be in. I can cut traders loose without a second thought if I don’t think they meet the standards of the site (as stated upthread I have not renewed John Westlake’s trade account for several years now).

PS I should really stay right out of it as beyond basic hosting it really is none of my business at all, but FWIW my own personal view is that those of you that have invested so much may need to consider finding a good lawyer between you and get some proper advice.
Fair enough Tony, I was simply thinking that your business is a better one to support! I also wish the money had gone to support the people and wildlife of Australia...

John
Will there be an AV bypass option on the DevDAC? If so will the input be single ended? Also, will the output signal pass through the analog attenuation stage so that you can control the volume, or will it just pass through ?

One of these days it would be great to see an end to all the continuous fluctuations in design. Just say, "this is how the DEVDAC(2) and FDAC and VFETs are going to be" and get on with it. A fit for purpose Modushop cabinet would be fine with me for my VFETs as long as the power amps deliver as promised. I am sure a good many other customers would feel the same at this point in time.

However, I fear that John simply hasn't got the finances available to him (any longer) to complete what we have paid him to do. That would be the simplest explanations for the procrastinations and delays that never end, other than the "mad designer who is never satisfied that he has made the very best he can do."

Just be clear, I am absolutely NOT suggesting that the design be changed to incorporate an AV bypass! If you look back you will see I have strongly recommended to John that the design be now fixed other than debugging etc. I am merely enquiring whether an AV bypass is an option with the existing design.

Ian. I did not intend to imply that you asked for extras. Your post simply reminded me that over the years, John changed the design(s) so many times that people never knew what they were buying into.

John
Will there be an AV bypass option on the DevDAC? If so will the input be single ended? Also, will the output signal pass through the analog attenuation stage so that you can control the volume, or will it just pass through ?

Back at the start of November John indicated that this will be available as a special order mod, using the L+R sockets of the unbalanced output as A/V input, maybe with a jumper changeover, and I've already opted for this. So far as I know, this is not intended to go through the analogue output stage, so we will need a volume control on any input, and I don't think there are any available XLR sockets which could be used to give a balanced A/V input.

The race for completion of the project and my retirement is getting closer. Still cannot see me ever getting my hands on a DAC and put it down to experience. Although I did buy a salvaged MDAC from him. Wonder if he still has them or if they were ever real?

To me the request does not sound like A/V bypass but a real analog input with volume control. Do not think that has ever been the plan.
I think that the plan was to use ADC for analog input on the FDAC.
The RIAA was also supposed to go through and ADC as far as I remember.

advertisement

Back