Sony 22" telly

Analogue playback...LP12/MP-500/Ear 834P/Nait 2/fraim/NACA5/JBL 4429

Digital playback...Rega Saturn-R/Nait 1/Quadraspire/NACA4/Totem Arro

Michell Orbe, Linn Ekos & Lyra Kleos,
Into an Audio Research PH5 phono stage.
Mac Mini, Tidal & Roon.
Bel Canto DAC & Bel Canto Preamp.
ATC SCM40a active speakers.
A bit of GIK room treatment without going silly with it.

What would I change? Hmm, not much really, at least not in our current house. Maybe a “proper” dedicated streamer box eg an Aurelic Vega or a Bel Canto to replace the MacMini. Still not convinced what difference a proper streamer makes over & above a MacMini but it may be the next thing to toy with.

Now you're talking (fancy trying Summits (or X) cf my big Quads. The pre. is in another room, though. If you pooled all that stuff and created just one super system.........
The LP system is in a different building, and I really need music (or Radio4) wherever I go...

Be careful with Martin Logan Summits. We were perfectly happy with our Quad 57s and Linn Sizmik, but in our small cottage whe width of the speakers and the narrowness of the sweet spot was a bit of a pain. My wife said she would only countenance speakers that were as good as or better than the Quads. We decided that we'd listen to Martin Logans, as they were narrower, and had the subs in the base. We thought we'd be happy with the £2k option (not sure what they were called) and to be honest, we were, they sounded as good as the Quads, if different. We then listened to the Summits - four times the price, so surely the law of diminishing returns would kick in - no, way more than four times better. We left the dealers empty handed and somewhat dazed by the experience. Had a nice curry for lunch and started working out what we could sell to raise the money. Eighteen months later we managed to find some ex-dem Summits at £5k, and we managed to wangle the money from various credit cards and we have had them ever since. This then set off a chain of events - the NAP250 couldn't really cope, so it was replaced with the superb EAR 890, which we then sold as we were expecting the Lakewest VFETs but they are still pending, so we had a series of temporary amplifiers, then a STA 25 came up for sale when we actually had some money, and so we bought it, along with the SC22, with the intention that it will, eventually, end up driving the Quads in the TV system, but for now, it does a superb job of driving the Summits which are quite efficient, though when my wife gets excited with the knob, the bass does tend to fall apart, but that is VERY loud.

So, secure the money first - then go and listen.

Digital:
Electrocompaniet EMC1UP, Innuous Zenith MKIII, Sonos Connect, RME ADI2 DAC
Amps:
Accuphase C2420 pre, P4200 poweramp
Speakers:Harbeth 40th anniversary ShL5+
Cables:
Auditorium 23 speaker cables and jumpers, Russ Andrews Classic Powerkords
various i.c's
Furniture:
HiFi Racks Podium rack and speaker stands
Mac

Speaker system:
Auralic Aries Mini as roon endpoint
Devialet D200
Dynaudio contour S3.4
Kimber Select 3035 speaker cables

Headphone system:
PS Audio P5 mains regenerator
Cisco 2960 switch
Innuos Zen mkiii as Roon core and player
Curious USB cable
Chord TT2 Dac/Amp
Senheiser HD800S

AV system (in hibernation):
Oppo 105D for Blu-ray playback and Netflix streaming.
Parasound P7 7.1 channel analogue preamp
Devialet D200 in passthrough mode for front main speakers
Parasound A31 3 channel power amp for center and rear surrounds
Dynaudio contour 1.1 rear surrounds and Focus center
Epson TW7200 projector

So, secure the money first - then go and listen.

Money's not a problem at my age, Jem; it's all the other related things ! :D. Yes, the 890 I know (had an 899 next to my 509s at one stage and it wasn't far behind. I'm a relatively new convert to ESLs, and was very impressed 12 years ago when visiting a small M.L. speaker set-up in an attic flat. About the only caveat (compared to my 2905s) with ANY M.L. is the 30 degree angle. I could probably cope with that in my room, as my Quads cover the entire length of my 7 foot sofa and it's only me listening with my wife on occasion if it's not too loud or raucous!

I believe the X is a marked improvement, but at a premium, of course. Trouble is, whereas I could keep the ProAc behemoths I had before, for 6 months whilst I 'adjusted' (put the ProAcs back and realised it was chalk and cheese!), I have no room now for two sets of big speakers. Would I really enjoy those extra lower octaves, I wonder and would my E.A.R.s be as synergistic? Oh well......

HP Elitebook 8570p, running Linux Mint. My main source these days, connected directly from headphone out to amplifier. Even with its onboard DAC it eats every CD player I've owned. It belongs to the last series to include an optical drive. Long may it last!

1980s Rega Planar 3 with AT100E and Tangospinner subplatter. Covered in dust. Tired of most of my records.

A&R A60, restored and tweaked. After 18-odd years and owning several other amplifiers since, still my favourite. May be supplanted by an Onix OA21 Icon in a few weeks!

Wharfedale Diamond 2 speakers. When I need small speakers as I do currently, I always seem to return to them. In my room and in their necessarily constricted positioning these modest little boxes let the music speak for itself.

Speaker cable: some kind of Audioquest 12 gauge I think, well terminated.

I can afford to buy more expensive and modern gear - but why bother when my current system brings me so much pleasure already? The Onix purchase fulfills a hankering I've had since encountering one during the late 80s.

Vinyl Playback:
SME 20/2/SME V/Audio Note Io Gold/Audio Note (Japan) S6c SUT/Allnic HS 1500 SEII

Digital Playback
Streaming: 4 TB Innuos Zen/Lumin D1/Aesthetix Pandora DAC/Roon (Core in Zen - I'm experimenting with a NUC at the moment)
CD: Naim CD 3.5/Flatcap

Amplification
Pre-Amp: Pass Labs XP20
Power Amps: Pass Labs XA100.5 (Spare Rank Concept Monoblocks are in reserve)

Loudspeakers:
Art Alnico 8

Record Cleaning Machine:
Keith Monks DiscoveryOne.

My ONLY system:
Source: Naim cds2 + NAT 01
Preamp: 52/supercap
Amp: Olive 135s
Speakers: Kudos Titan T88
Fraim/Powerlines/Naim standard cables throughout
AV Options has serviced all except 01
01 was 1980’s converted to Olive by Naim Audio 1990’s
Awaiting delivery of Chord Co Sarum T analogue 5 pin din-din interconnect for cds2-52
Use Herbies gliders under my Titans - makes moving them around piece of cake
- david

... Aiwa AD-6900 cassette deck
Nice, one of very few - if not the only - cassette deck with dual function peak/VU analog meters.

I'm surprised not many more fishies keep cassette decks. The fidelity you can squeeze from a narrow strip of tape coated with ferric oxide - especially with a Nak - continues to amaze me every time.

This:
System%2BConfig%2B202001.jpg

System%2BCable%2BKey%2B201810.jpg

Speaker system:
Auralic Aries Mini as roon endpoint
Devialet D200
Dynaudio contour S3.4
Kimber Select 3035 speaker cables

Headphone system:
PS Audio P5 mains regenerator
Cisco 2960 switch
Innuos Zen mkiii as Roon core and player
Curious USB cable
Chord TT2 Dac/Amp
Senheiser HD800S

AV system (in hibernation):
Oppo 105D for Blu-ray playback and Netflix streaming.
Parasound P7 7.1 channel analogue preamp
Devialet D200 in passthrough mode for front main speakers
Parasound A31 3 channel power amp for center and rear surrounds
Dynaudio contour 1.1 rear surrounds and Focus center
Epson TW7200 projector
Andrew, have you tried the Devialet in dual mono 400 configuration? I’m interested in folks experience compared with a single 200.

This is my system as it stands at the moment - Garrard 401 deck, SME V arm, Van Den Hul Colibri cartridge, Lector phono stage, Raspberry Pi Allo Digione Signature feeding SP-DIF into a Chord Mojo running Roon, a very good DIY pre with stepped resistor gain control and valve gain stage, Croft Series 3 OTL power amp, Quad 57 electrostatic speakers and a REL sub to fill in the bottom end. To my ears it sounds amazing. Going to replace the DAC with a 1794 DDDAC shortly to make the digital front end as analogue as possible. I live in York if you interested in hearing it. It is very special!!!!

Network:

Sky Q subscription
> Sky Q router

Belkin Wifi extender

Home Streaming:

Apple iMac 27"
> 4x External USB HDDs
> 2TB music in AAC, Applelossless, MP3 and FLAC formats
> Asset UPnP

Internet Streaming:

Qobuz Hi-Fi subscription
Spotify Premium subscription

Source:

NovaFidelity X40 - streamer
> 2TB on-board music stored in various formats
> Coherent Systems modifications

Rega RP3, RB303, Audio Technica AT120E - turntable, arm, cartridge

Amplifier:

Belles Aria - integrated amplifier
> Coherent Systems modifications

Loudspeakers:

Quadral Aurum Montan VIII - loudspeakers

Interconnects & Speaker Cable:

Coherent Systems 5D - speaker cable (amp)
Coherent Systems 5D - interconnect (streamer)
Coherent Systems 5D - jumpers (speakers)
Rega - interconnect (turntable)
MeiCord Opal - ethernet cable (router to streamer)

Mains Treatment:

MCRU No. 9 - mains cable (amp)
MCRU Ultimate mains cable (streamer)
Rega - standard SMPS power-supply (turntable)
TCI 6 way mains power block (streamer & turntable)

Footers & Vibration Treatment:

'original' Black Ravioli footers (amp and streamer)
Granite mats (amp and streamer)

Rack:

Creaktiv Trend 1

Last edited:
System:
Amp: Audionet DNA 2.0 + EPS G2 PSU
Speakers: 432 Point5 (DIY)
Stands: solidsteel SS-5
Speaker cables: Atlas Ichor MK2 (aka Mavros)

Roon & UPNP/DLNA Server:
QNAP TS-251+8GB RAM & 2x1TB Sandisk ultra II SSDs
Teddy Prado Dual 12v LPSU
TP-Link Archer VR-900 Switch/Router

Cables:
Mains cables: H07RN-F 3 x 2.5mm with Schurter C13 to C14 IEC's (DIY)
Mains distribution: DCT03 DC Filter + 432 Point5 4-Way IEC's (DIY)
USB cable: Nobility Eagle E-580US
Network cables: Metz CAT-7 MC GC1000 Plus23

Last edited:
I might as well join:

Bluesound Node 2i/Audiolab cdq,
Teddy PR1
Wyred4sound monos
Neat Motive 3's
Isotek mains conditioner/filter thing

No urge to change anything other than I've converted the Node to linear power supply and I might look for a standmount to last me another 10-15 years but I really like the Neats so I think I need to spend quite a bit to retain the qualities I like and better them. I say 'quite a bit', its all relative isnt it but probs no more than £2.5k, used or new.

I cannot recall when I last spun a CD, or drew from my own library on the Mac, it's all Tidal and occasional Spotify, Tidal sounding better to me. I really ought to put a CD on and make a comparison.

advertisement

Back