advertisement

Naim Stageline

Stageline MM has 470pf input capacitance, it could be that the new cartridge is not happy with this loading (which is very high by modern standards, especially once arm capacitance is added in).
Maybe try the deck at your dealer with a different phono stage that has adjustable loading to see if this is the issue?
Edit: the Olympia seems to specify 100-200pf loading.

This is correct, the Stageline has no method for changing the input capacitance. Different cartridges will certainly sound muddy or wrong if they're expecting something lower. The only option, and I had to do this my Naim Phono cards (Actually NJ cards but a similar circuit), is to reduce the 470pF cap on the input to something lower like 220pF. This improved dynamics and 'sparkle' on my VM95ML.

I'm presuming the Pro-Ject shipped with an Ortofon? I think the better option would have been a stylus upgrade for that cart, the Olympia spec doesn't read like a £180 cartridge.

I think that Ortofon was the original factory supplier for my Pro-Ject1.2
I had this cartridge for approx 17 years of use.

What does Naim Stageline MM use for these specs?
Here are the specs for Sumiko.
It has a Load Impedance: 47kΩ

Recommended Load Capacitance:
100pF - 200pF

Check the link
https://www.sumikoaudio.net/en-us/our-brands/sumiko-phono-cartridges/products/oyster-series/olympia

In my country mostly everything is steep!
Even a crappy cartridge costs twice here than in Germany.

I think that Ortofon was the original factory supplier for my Pro-Ject1.2
I had this cartridge for approx 17 years of use.

What does Naim Stageline MM use for these specs?
Here are the specs for Sumiko.
It has a Load Impedance: 47kΩ

Recommended Load Capacitance:
100pF - 200pF

Check the link
https://www.sumikoaudio.net/en-us/our-brands/sumiko-phono-cartridges/products/oyster-series/olympia

In my country mostly everything is steep!
Even a crappy cartridge costs twice here than in Germany.

There you go then. Much too high capacitance. Open up the Stageline and snip one leg of the input load capacitors and that should sort it.

I checked the rear of my Stageline it is model N
Serial number 16xxxx, May 2000

I checked my manual there is no technical data at all on last page for stageline.

Are you saying my Sumiko is a mismatch to my old Stageline?
I don't feel comfortable snipping one leg of the cap!?

Then you will need to find a cart that is happy with the high capacitance or get a different phono stage.... or maybe find someone who can snip the capacitors for you. I'm guessing you are not in UK?

Then you will need to find a cart that is happy with the high capacitance or get a different phono stage.... or maybe find someone who can snip the capacitors for you. I'm guessing you are not in UK?

No Sir, I'm not in the UK.

I did some vinyl playing today.
I played a hairband metal album from the band XYZ - S/T.
Great rock 'n' roll!
Vinyl played flawless and perfect sounding! :):)
Dynamics on bass and treble was played in full.:D

I also played Tony Carey - I won't be home tonight.
Vinyl played flawless and perfect sounding.:):)
Dynamics on bass and treble was played in full.:):)
I love Tony's albums, they are great 80's soft rock albums.

I also played Streets of fire OST album.
It played flawless and perfect sounding.:):)
Dynamics on bass and treble was played in full.:D

All three albums played perfect.:)

I did some tweaking today.
Previously I had removed the cloth plinth mat and replaced it with an old 80's Statomatic rubber mat.
This Statomatic rubber mat use a special rubber compound which NASA also used on their space ships.
Maybe my vinyl sound played harsh when I only used the rubber mat?
With the cloth mat Vinyl sounded softer and more dynamic playing.
Could soft cloth mat change/improve characteristics on vinyl sound?
I liked the sound much better now.
I also tweaked the tone arm needle pressure knob back to recommended 2,0 according to manufacturer of Sumiko.

The only advantage with Statomatic rubber mat is it does reduce the electro statics from plastic materials.
I always uncharge by touching my radiator to remove statics before I touch the vinyl or my stereo.
Getting zapped could sometimes be painful! :oops:

I will continue play vinyls in the next following days to see if everything is back to perfect as it used to be like when I had the old PJ cartridge? :cool:

It can affect the sound yes. It can also do so by changing VTA if it's a different thickness to the last one.

I guess that was the culprit only using the Statomatic rubber mat and not the cloth mat?
Thanks for clarifying.
I read the info on jacket for Statomatic, it was a swedish invention back in the 70's or 80's?

I guess we learn something new everyday?:)

BTW, what is VTA?

Last edited:

advertisement

Back