advertisement

Members' System Information

I started with an all Naim setup 8 years ago NDX/202/200 with 804d. I am constraind by space so have not been able to pursue a valve route.

I quickly switched to an NDS and then added the MFA and AHB2 on an annual basis. Each 'upgrade' did improve teh sound but despite later then adding Telluium Q cables, one by one, I was never really satisfied with the system, until the last year when I began ‘tweaking’.

The tweaks were cheaper than a ‘good’ box and included, diamond wiring, BMU, DC Blocker, changing from Wifi to Cisco Switch, vibration isolation (Isoacoustoc) … and having wax removed from one ear!

I have learnt this year how important ‘clean’ power is – and am thinking of a PS regenerator – but reports seem to suggest that the Airlink is almost as good, for a fraction of the price. A TXPS+ may also be an option for the NDS. Similarly I not sure if it is worth getting an old Melco (as my NAS is multi purpose at present) - the Cisco has taught me that not all digital is the same (but perhaps another BMU for the NAS may also 'help?).

My current system (source to speakers)

NAS Source Synology DS1515+ (plugged into wall with standard unshielded Naim cable)

> Ethernet cable Blue jeans 6a CAT

Switch Cisco 9650 (sitting on Iosacoustic Oreas)

> Ethernet cable Blue jeans 6a CAT

Streamer Naim NDS + Teddy XPS (sitting on Iosacoustic Oreas)

> Tellurium Q Silver Diamond (RCA)

PreAmp Music First Audio Baby Ref (sitting on Iosacoustic Oreas)

> Tellurium Q Black Diamond (Balanced)

PowerAmp BenchMark AHB2 (sitting on Iosacoustic Oreas)

> Tellurium Q Ultra Black speaker cables + Tellurium Q Silver Diamond Jumpers (diamond config)

Speakers B&W 804d-2 (sitting on Iosacoustic Gaias)

Power Supply Airlink CBS2000 Balanced Mains Unit (plugged into wall with MCRU 75 cable)

> Feeds the Cisco via ATL DC Blocker (via standard Naim cables)

> Feeds TXPS via ATL DC Blocker (Studio Connections Carbon & Naim Powerline cables)

> Feeds the AHB2 directly (via MCRU 75 cable)

Main System
Melco N1A
Chord Electronics Red Reference MKIII Cd Player
Chord Electronics CPA 4000E Pre Amp
Chord Electronics SPM 1200E Power Amp
B&W Nautilus 802

AV System (main system provides front L&R duties)
Pioneer BDP-LX58
Chord Electronics Media Engine
Chord Electronics DSP 8000 Processor
Chord Electronics SPM 2400 5 Channel Power Amp
B&W Nautilus 805
B&W HTM 2

Second System
Chord Electronics Blu Cd Transport
Chord Electronics QBD76 or DAC64 MKII
Chord Electronics Prima Pre Amp
Chord Electronics Mezzo 50 or Mezzo 140
KEF LS50

A synology ds216+ and tidal subscription feeds :

Bluesound Node 2i
Linn 5125 (with Aktiv cards)
Linn Katans on wall mount brakits

Raspberry pi with hifiberry digi + chromecast audio
Cyrus DAC XP+
Creek Destiny I
PMC DB1i

Chromecast audio + USB
Arcam irdac ii
Quad 306
Epos M5i

Very happy with #1 and #2, they both sound differently awesome, #3 will be subject to some upgrades this year ;-)

Sorry, I mean that few people have the same components as other people, not same makes within a system :).

Actually, I guess predictably, the LP12 features in a few systems - but in general there is little similarity shared between peoples systems - hence the broad difference of opinion regarding things ‘HiFi’ I suppose.
The second most 'popular' component seems to be the venerable Yamaha NS-1000M.

Surely I'm not the only one here running Pioneer amplifiers. :D

LP12, Cirkus, Lingo 1, Akito 2b, Audio Technica vm540ml.
Naim CD5i.
Rega Fono Mk2.
Naim Nait XS2.
Naim nSat speakers on nStands.
Also hooked up is a Chromecast Audio widget using Spotify Premium which is mostly used to "try before I buy".....though it sounds way better than it has any right to for £15!!
Standard Naim cable for the CD player.
Chord Cobra for the Fono.
Linn K20 speaker cable (soon to be replaced with NACA5).

Nice system. How do you find the XS2? I ask because I’m toying with reducing the box count from a 112X/150X and this could be an option.

VPI HW19 Mk IV
ET2
DV XX1L
Blue Jeans LC1

Benchmark DAC 3L
DNM RCA

Exposure XVII
Exposure Mono Super XVIII
Exposure Brown XLR

Altec Model 846A Valencia
Exposure speaker cable

Guess I'm a hoarder, rarely sell anything, just keep adding to the toys

#1 LP12, lingo 3, akito.2, adict
NDX
Nac52
Nap250 (olive)
PMC twenty26

#2 squeezebox touch
Nac72
Nap140
Linn helix

#3 squeezebox touch
Nytech cta252
Epos 11

#4 squeezebox touch
Nytech ca252t
Warfedale diamonds

#5 squeezebox touch
Naim headline + hicap
Grado 325s

All in different rooms and in use.

#1 is obviously the best but I have a soft spot for #3. The nytech and epos 11 were both bought relatively recently ( to scratch an itch I have had since hearing them both many years ago). They don't have the scale or dynamics of #1 but, in a different way, are equally enjoyable.

I also have a Nuvo, centralised music system built into the house, so ceiling speakers etc in every room. It's not exactly hifi but it is the one my family use the most.

The second most 'popular' component seems to be the venerable Yamaha NS-1000M.

I was actually thinking that the NA Dais turntable was probably the second (or equal first) most popular component. Have more than two people cited the NS-1000M? (and my own are far from standard - do they even qualify?).

Downstairs:
R2R: Studer A820 1/2 in 2 tr, Otari MTR-12 1/4 in 2 tr, Dolby 363 NR with Dolby SR & Dolby A
TT: Platine Verdier with GT Audio battery PSU; Schroeder Reference & Allaerts MC1B; Hadcock 228 (J7 rewired) & Decca FFSS MkIV C4E (rebuilt by John Wright); TRON Reference phono stage
Amps: TRON Meteor preamp, TRON Voyager 20B SET
Spkrs: Avantgarde Duo

Upstairs:
R2R: Sony APR 5003v, Sony APR5002, Studer A807/II all 1/4 in 2 tr, Dolby 363 NR with Dolby SR & Dolby A
TT: Technics SL1210 plus numerous carts - Garrott P77i, Denon 103C1 with ESCo sapphire cantilever/paratrace, Ortofon SL15 Ell ESCo paratrace, Ortofon M20FL, AKG P8ES
Amp: Lentek integrated (Radford STA 15/III being restored)
Spkrs: Wilmslow HSM monitors or LS3/5a (Stirling original V1/Rogers AB1 and Kefkit CS1a clones)
Cass: Nak Dragon (rebuilt by Alex Nikitin with full ANT 4066 mods)
Tuner: Leak Troughline (GT Audio rebuilt)
Dig: Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D/DAC

Downstairs:
R2R: Studer A820 1/2 in 2 tr, Otari MTR-12 1/4 in 2 tr, Dolby 363 NR with Dolby SR & Dolby A
TT: Platine Verdier with GT Audio battery PSU; Schroeder Reference & Allaerts MC1B; Hadcock 228 (J7 rewired) & Decca FFSS MkIV C4E (rebuilt by John Wright); TRON Reference phono stage
Amps: TRON Meteor preamp, TRON Voyager 20B SET
Spkrs: Avantgarde Duo

Upstairs:
R2R: Sony APR 5003v, Sony APR5002, Studer A807/II all 1/4 in 2 tr, Dolby 363 NR with Dolby SR & Dolby A
TT: Technics SL1210 plus numerous carts - Garrott P77i, Denon 103C1 with ESCo sapphire cantilever/paratrace, Ortofon SL15 Ell ESCo paratrace, Ortofon M20FL, AKG P8ES
Amp: Lentek integrated (Radford STA 15/III being restored)
Spkrs: Wilmslow HSM monitors or LS3/5a (Stirling original V1/Rogers AB1 and Kefkit CS1a clones)
Cass: Nak Dragon (rebuilt by Alex Nikitin with full ANT 4066 mods)
Tuner: Leak Troughline (GT Audio rebuilt)
Dig: Prism Sound Lyra 2 A2D/DAC
I'm pretty sure you win with that little lot

I was actually thinking that the NA Dais turntable was probably the second (or equal first) most popular component. Have more than two people cited the NS-1000M? (and my own are far from standard - do they even qualify?).
Simon has, albeit modified too.

Yamaha NS1000M 3 way speakers with RAAL ribbons replacing the Tamaha tweeters upgraded xo parts.

I could claim mine are modded too, with 4mm sockets and a fresh lick of satin black paint.

Four board DDDAC/FifoPi with Pulsar clock (battery powered)

Garrard 401/Audio Note Arm 2/Audio Note IQ3

DIY 4P1L DHT preamp

DIY First Watt VFET, First Watt F6 and a Neurochrome power amp

Tannoy Berkeley with upgraded crossovers

mine appears very vanilla in comparison....

Townshend Rock II (with bellows mods, Excalibur/DVXXII and Achromat)
Superline powered by Teddy Supercap
Auralic Aries mini
NAC52/Avondale modded 52PS
Dynavector HX1.2mk1
Shahinian Obelisks
WhichHat cables pretty much throughout

advertisement

Back