advertisement

anyone see Rick Gervais on the American Golden Globe awards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, that would imply dislike, which is not the case. I don’t have to be personally interested in everything I host on a discussion forum by any means. I’ve no idea why you would think that?

Well, I guess it's partly from this post where you wrote:

[...] off topic area has become a highly polarised political bear pit with countless posts from folk who seemingly have absolutely nothing to say about audio, music, photography, are not record shop customers etc. I don’t quite understand why they chose my site rather than Twitter, Facebook or political/newspaper forums.

And went on to talk about how [OT] was "putting a lot of audiophiles and music fans off" which constitutes your "customer base."

Which is a sentiment I seem to recall you expressing at least once before in my short active membership. And so in trying to maintain an accurate context and lay of the land that's how I concluded you don't relish the OT section. Not that accurate context seems to matter here all that much and how similar observations have been labeled 'gobbledygook', probably best to discard the thought!

Jonathan Pie's having an excellent rant on the subject, well worth a view. Sorry, don't know how to link to the video on my iPad.

Jonathan Pie's having an excellent rant on the subject, well worth a view. Sorry, don't know how to link to the video on my iPad.

Reinforcing a mountain of evidence that everything about, in and around popular media is a circular firing squad of hypocrisy.

as mark suggested above, the alphabet crowd are really twisting the notion of left/right, as are the elite media. hence unwarranted push-back against people like corbyn, sanders and gabbard (as well as those with even more vital political messages to convey like RG).
I wanted to reply to this in seriousness yesterday but it got sidetracked with a hot-button.

Plenty of people are anti-woke, and they're anything but right of center. The only difficulty to being anti-woke is peeling the onion so people on the left realize there's more compatibility with anti-woke than not.

In this instance (Gervais monologue), no matter how scripted, you once again see the woke referring to the un-woke as alt-right or right or conservative. As was mentioned, Gervais was swiftly denounced as being right/alt-right for his views when he's demonstrated over and again he's firmly left of center.

It's a careless metanarrative, really, because how can one be a selectively woke SJW when critical analysis is so narrowly focused and dismissive of any complexity an issue brings to the table? And so the shut-down is always the same accusation of right or alt-right. Again, in the case of Gervais, it's utterly preposterous. I would bet with a lot of people it's equally so.

I think what a conversation like this does is advocate for a general rule that if you want a woke soapbox your house should be hypocrisy-free - at the least - or you're going to hear it. And not from some boogeyman alt-right, but from people who pull the same voting lever you do.

tl;dr | The SJW/Cancel Culture/Woke phenom is straight out of The Vampire's Castle.

Last edited:
I think he’s funny much of the time.The Office was a cracker and Extras had its moments. Derek was a misfire though the outtakes are funnier. He’s been around for years.I remember seeing him of the Eleven O Clock show years ago and thought he was refreshing then. I’ve seen bigger t***s. His writing can sometimes be over-sentimental but his mastery of human interaction is sometimes sublime, and challengingly cringeworthy.

Claire,

Really? What makes you say that?

Oh, I see it now. I guess it's obvious in hindsight.

Joe

That guy looks like he teleported in directly from Woodstock after absconding with more than his fair share of LDS.

saw that ... curious. Gervais seems to have REALLY touched a nerve with the newspaper owning epstein crowd!!

saw that ... curious. Gervais seems to have REALLY touched a nerve with the newspaper owning epstein crowd!!

jonathan.

i also read the stewart lee article earlier today (before tony posted about it). i am a fan of lee. a big part of his shtick is going after other comedians, so it's tough to say how much of this is an "act". i'm not even sure he's totally clear on the distinction between routine and politics here. the article is funny, but so is gervais. only a sad wokester bent on living up to stereotypes could find otherwise.

let me also add that i've had conversations about the golden globes performance with many, many people this past week. not only friends but people all over the country that i've had to communicate with because of work -- start of the year is a big time for that. the response is unanimous praise for ricky. unprecedented in my experience. i'm almost forced to conclude that internet hate is down to the russians or the demands of public self-presentation. even though it's pretty clear everyone could relax this time, i suppose there was plenty of worry about the authoritarian vigilance of moderators, million-dollar news presenters or others in the celebrity class.

what all of us (minus wokesters) would really love is a joint project between lee and gervais. at the very least, the former could finally earn a bit of well-deserved money.

Last edited:
what all of us (minus wokesters) would really love is a joint project between lee and gervais. at the very least, the former could finally earn a bit of well-deserved money.
He's doing alright I think. Touring until June. Three shows at The Lowry - SOLD OUT.

Oh my, someone save him … save him from this morass of competitive victimhood!!! (is 3 enough?)

I see we’ve reached the “Takedown” (not to be confused with ‘smackdown’) phase of Cancellation for another comedian doing what comedians do. I don’t think Gervais is going down quite so easy; he seems pretty resilient to SJW vampires. Not so much from the ‘ignore and rise above it’ school of J.K. Rowling, but more a dance along the ropes and take blows until the assailant tires and exposes their invariably comfortable, privileged, and boujee-feel good circumstance (resentful virtue signalers).

Perhaps the problem is not working off the SJW Cancel script, owing a lot to the tl;dr culture, and essentializing the victim; distill and characterize him with a descriptor that sticks. Current popular choices are:

Bigot
Racist
Alt-right
[Identity]-phobe
Misogynist

Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back