advertisement

Members' System Information

Presently Tangerine via Paradise and Wadia feeding Vitus, downwind from which are a pair of Sashas. Strung together with Chord.

The dining room to feature some 80s vintage Sony cd and amplifier, speakers to be added when the builders have finished. To be strung together with Chord too.

Last edited:
Laptop running Roon and Tidal
Cayin CD17t
Rotel RCD 991
Mytek Brooklyn DAC
Musical Fidelity NuVista 600
Usher 718 DMDs

This year I'd like to replace my very old very tired laptop with a nuc. I use my CD players as transports but they are knocking on a bit too so might look to a dedicated top loading transport at some point. More than happy with my amp and speakers...delighted actually. :)

From source to speakers:

Allo DigiOne Player streamer / transport
Audial Model S DAC
Pioneer PL71 turntable / Reson Reca cart / Vista Audio Phono 1 mk2 phono stage
LFD DLS preamp
LFD PA2M (SE) power amp
Royd RR3 speakers

No changes intended for a long time, although I might build that DC blocker I have lying around.

In no particular order:
Server: Windows server in the loft running Logitech Media Server and 17k tracks by 2.2k of artists, rips from my CD collection, a few bought hi-res files, etc. CDs now archived in Library.

Kitchen:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch, MiniDSP 2x4HD into LS3/5a sized boxes with Monacor units, and B&O Ice Power class D amps, active DSP x-over

Bedroom:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Muse class D amp, Mission / Denon speakers.

Office:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch, DIY shunt passive preamp, using ALPS blue, Meridian M3 Active speakers.

Barn:
Vinyl system:
Transcriptors Skeleton, with Gyrodec AC motor, powered from Meldano TTPSU. Vestigial arm, Decca London Gold, Naim MM/MC head amp (DIY) with Naim Supercap regulator modules, powered from DIY Hi-Cap, Radford SC22 preamp with DIY PSU.

This then links into the TV system:
Sony TV, Fire TV, Chromecast, Cyrus AV5 multichannel preamp.
Centre speaker - Fostex 'full range' open baffle powered by class D chip amp.
Front speakers - Quad ESL57, powered by DIY Gainclone monoblocks
Rear Speakers - Meridian M30 actives
Sub - Linn Sizmik without the Linn amp, powered by a Sub-Zero PAD400 class D studio amp, with Behringer DEQ2496 for DSP, and Behringer DCX2496 as crossover.

This runs as surround for TV, and in Stereo (Quads and Sub only) for LPs.

Lounge:
Raspberry Pi running Volumio with Squeezelite plugin, USB to Lakewest/Audiolab MDAC, Radford STA25, Martin Logan Summit.
Radio Paradise, Tidal and tracks from our server. Multiroom with LMS / SBTs around the house.

Library:
Denon D M30 mini system, Chromecast Audio, JPW / Denon SC M2 speakers.

You have a system in the loo Mike? I'm impressed

Sorry; I meant cistern ! :D I have my old ghetto-blaster in there. After more than a decade using it as a teaching aid in classes, being knocked about, it still works for radio (and probably tape, if I bothered).

SERVER - Synology DS115
> Ethernet >
MUSIC PLAYER / PROCESSOR - HQPlayer Desktop (PCM-to-DSD128/poly-sinc-ext2/ASDM5) w/ REW EQ filters (≤ 200Hz) running on a Mabook Pro
> Ethernet >
ENDPOINT / BUFFER - HQPlayer Network Audio Adapter running on a CuBox-i (Audiophonics L-PSU)
> USB adapter and Teradak power split Y-cable >
DAC - Teac UD-501 in NOS mode (FIR4)
> Single Ended DIY >
INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER - Bespoke minimalist transistor amplifier with single input and external dual power supply
> Cambridge Audio >
SPEAKERS - Stirling Broadcast LS3/6 on Ikea Oddvar stools

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Laptop running Roon and Tidal
Cayin CD17t
Rotel RCD 991
Mytek Brooklyn DAC
Musical Fidelity NuVista 600
Usher 718 DMDs

This year I'd like to replace my very old very tired laptop with a nuc. I use my CD players as transports but they are knocking on a bit too so might look to a dedicated top loading transport at some point. More than happy with my amp and speakers...delighted actually. :)
I thought the Rotel 991 was a superb player for the money when new, I first heard one feeding a Marantz PM-17 KI Signature amp and Ruark Crusader MK3s, great sounding system.

B&W 803s
Teddy MB100s
Teddy Preamp
CDX2 with Teddy XPS
SonyTuner SE500
Sony Minidisc player JE530
Hiline and NAC5

Nottingham Analogue Dais/ Ace Anna 12 inch & 10 inch Tonearms with Zyx MC
Klyne 7 phonostage
Klyne 7 pre amp
Beam echo mono blocks
Stacked quad 57s
Accuphase t101 tuner
Finite elemente Stands & Yter speaker cables
Loricraft 4 RCM

I think thats it .

Benz LP cart, Kuzma Stabi S 12" turntable but running Lp12 bearing, subplatter and platter with a Mober DC motor and optical tacho control. Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre pre-amp with large outboard psu.

Ian Canada diy dac stack, LiFePo battery psu, rpi3, fifopi buffer board, ESS dual 9038qm dac, transformer output stage and various local super apped psu rails.

Neurochrome Mod86p bridged parallel dual-mono composite-chip power amps.

Dual mono two box Paradise phonostage with all the trimmings.

Yamaha NS1000M 3 way speakers with RAAL ribbons replacing the Tamaha tweeters upgraded xo parts.

All connected with some wires.

Oh and a pair of 63s undergoing surgery, slowly.

In no particular order:
Server: Windows server in the loft running Logitech Media Server and 17k tracks by 2.2k of artists, rips from my CD collection, a few bought hi-res files, etc. CDs now archived in Library.

Kitchen:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch, MiniDSP 2x4HD into LS3/5a sized boxes with Monacor units, and B&O Ice Power class D amps, active DSP x-over

Bedroom:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch, Muse class D amp, Mission / Denon speakers.

Office:
Logitech Squeezebox Touch, DIY shunt passive preamp, using ALPS blue, Meridian M3 Active speakers.

Barn:
Vinyl system:
Transcriptors Skeleton, with Gyrodec AC motor, powered from Meldano TTPSU. Vestigial arm, Decca London Gold, Naim MM/MC head amp (DIY) with Naim Supercap regulator modules, powered from DIY Hi-Cap, Radford SC22 preamp with DIY PSU.

This then links into the TV system:
Sony TV, Fire TV, Chromecast, Cyrus AV5 multichannel preamp.
Centre speaker - Fostex 'full range' open baffle powered by class D chip amp.
Front speakers - Quad ESL57, powered by DIY Gainclone monoblocks
Rear Speakers - Meridian M30 actives
Sub - Linn Sizmik without the Linn amp, powered by a Sub-Zero PAD400 class D studio amp, with Behringer DEQ2496 for DSP, and Behringer DCX2496 as crossover.

This runs as surround for TV, and in Stereo (Quads and Sub only) for LPs.

Lounge:
Raspberry Pi running Volumio with Squeezelite plugin, USB to Lakewest/Audiolab MDAC, Radford STA25, Martin Logan Summit.
Radio Paradise, Tidal and tracks from our server. Multiroom with LMS / SBTs around the house.

Library:
Denon D M30 mini system, Chromecast Audio, JPW / Denon SC M2 speakers.
Nothing in the pantry? Amateur! :)

Rega P9 turntable with RB1000 arm and Apheta cartridge
Rega Ios phono pre amplifier
Lehmann Audio Linear headphone amplifier
Sennheiser HD600 headphone

Mains leads are Rega Reference
Interconnect is a Rega Couple
Headphone cable is by Venus Audio

(Apheta recently rebuilt by Rega)

The basic setup is the same as it has been for a long time:
  • Naim CD2, modded
  • DPA 50S preamp (late one with sep psu) and a pair of the 50S poweramps, all serviced by myself, the psrr improved, and the power amps used as monoblocks. It remains genuinely innovative clever design, and I've heard nothing I want more, in comparison.
  • Cable is deltec black slink for pre-power links and the bespoke speaker cable for full kelvin-sensing feedback from the speaker terminals.
  • Speakers are Impulse H2s or Quad 989s. The 989s get all the use for the last couple of years.
Also in rotation are tuners ( Onix BWD1; Acoustical FM1; Quad FM3; and there's an AM2 unused); a chromecast; and the 'other' system is essentially Macbook pro/Chord Mojo/ McCormack Micro Integrated Drive - a truly exceptional headphone amp once its one tiny odd design choice is nipped out of circuit. AKG K701 or Senn HD565 Ovations as go-to headphones.

I have, er, a few other examples of DPA/Deltec equipment, all working, including a Deltec transport with Deltran link, some dacs, a complete mint spare 50s system (early preamp, the one with the onboard psu and phono stage.

LP12, Cirkus, Lingo 1, Akito 2b, Audio Technica vm540ml.
Naim CD5i.
Rega Fono Mk2.
Naim Nait XS2.
Naim nSat speakers on nStands.
Also hooked up is a Chromecast Audio widget using Spotify Premium which is mostly used to "try before I buy".....though it sounds way better than it has any right to for £15!!
Standard Naim cable for the CD player.
Chord Cobra for the Fono.
Linn K20 speaker cable (soon to be replaced with NACA5).

advertisement

Back