advertisement

Naim Nap 110 holden and fisher transformer information.

Jia ren

So recently my transformer gave up on me and now I need the same exact direct replacement to the transformer. So I saw misterc6's post where he gave information about the transformer.

0 - 240 V primary @50hz
27.5 V - 0 - 27.5 V secondary winding @ 2A
around 100va

So is this all the specs I need? and is the transformer capacity correct?

are you certain it was your transformer and NOT the bridge rectifier? one is far more likely than the other ...

are you certain it was your transformer and NOT the bridge rectifier? one is far more likely than the other ...
My technician took a look into it, and he said that when he put in a new fuse, the fuse blew again and there is a stinky smell from the transformer.

Before giving it to them, it was fine. But there was a water boiling type of sound and I switched it off and I never able to turn it back on again, there is a stinky smell in the process.

you may want to look into taking it to a better technician ... just a thought ... :)
welp he did check everything and he said it is completely fine, just only when he put a new fuse in and switch it on. The fuse blew again and there is stinky smell from the transformer

As others have said, it's very unlikely to be the transformer that's failed and very hard to find a suitable replacement if it has. The first step would be to disconnect it from the bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitors in order to check it out. In any event, you'll have to find the cause of the failure before replacing it.

As others have said, it's very unlikely to be the transformer that's failed and very hard to find a suitable replacement if it has. The first step would be to disconnect it from the bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitors in order to check it out. In any event, you'll have to find the cause of the failure before replacing it.
Because before they put the fuse back in, the technician did a full check up again, and did not find anything that is wrong.

Because before they put the fuse back in, the technician did a full check up again, and did not find anything that is wrong.

That makes no sense at all, if there was nothing wrong the fuse would not have blown and there would have been no burning smell!

That makes no sense at all, if there was nothing wrong the fuse would not have blown and there would have been no burning smell!
I have no idea, they said the smell was coming from the transformer. Before this, the power amp was very hot and there was the water boiling sound. So I went and turn it off, after that I can't turn it on anymore as the fuse blew. Tommorow ill ask if they checked the bridge rectifier and the smoothing capacitors

I think it would be worthwhile to have a word with Naim Support -- they are most committed to keep their legacy gear going. I guess you might not be based in the UK. So sending your 110 back to the mothership might not be the easiest option. But Naim might still be able to provide valuable guidance and support for repair in your country.

I think they pur a higher amp fuse in and the shorted bridge melted the transformer.

I have had 2 transformers go up in smoke while I was working on them, both with the bridge shorted and the fuse was rated for the whole machine so didn't blow.
Loads of smoke!!!

Pete

seriously? even without shorted windings or an over current?

I guess shorted windings has to be the cause but yes. I have a "paper weight/door stop" of a large toroidal down next to my foot as I type this which is a perfect example... It came from an Ashdown bass combo. Replacing the transformer was the cure. The Alchemist Kraken amp has transformers that seem to be prone to it and I've replaced maybe 6 or so over the last ten years. In all cases no other fault present.

The original Naim NAC 52 power supplies used to fry their little digital power supply toroidal transformers for no reason. Well, clearly there was a reason, but we never found it.
It does sound like a shorted bridge has overheated the windings to the point where they started cooking. I've seen this with a Naim CDI transformer.

I guess shorted windings has to be the cause but yes. I have a "paper weight/door stop" of a large toroidal down next to my foot as I type this which is a perfect example... It came from an Ashdown bass combo. Replacing the transformer was the cure. The Alchemist Kraken amp has transformers that seem to be prone to it and I've replaced maybe 6 or so over the last ten years. In all cases no other fault present.

ohhh i see ... maybe bad lacquer on the windings? insufficient cooling in the design (i.e. too many windings perhaps)?

advertisement

Back