DAC with Volume Control - suggestions

ste71

pfm Member
My system:

Rega P9
Stageline MM
UnitiServe
Supernait 1
DualTeddyDAC (powering the SN and the Stageline)
TeddyDAC
SBL

I also have a spare NAC102, and an olive NAP250 being delivered in the next days so the Supernait will go.

I rarely listen to vinyl anymore so I am thinking about selling the analogue source.
My only source will be digital. At this point, I'm also considering replacing the NAC102/DualTeddyCAP/TeddyDAC with a DAC with Volume Control, and reduce dramatically the number of boxes (UnitiServe/DAC with VC/NAP250).
I really like the TeddyDAC, so the obvious choice would be a TeddyDAC VC, which unfortunately is very hard to find and Teddy discontinued it. If still in production, I would probably buy it new.

What would be a good match with the boxes that remain in the system (UnitiServe, NAP250 and SBL)?

USB input would be nice.

A Naim DAC V1 would be nice for inputs, size and functionality, but as far as sound quality is concerned I'm afraid it could be a step back from the TeddyDAC.

What about a Chord Hugo TT2? I never heard it so I have no idea.
Budget is flexible.

Except for the TeddyDAC-VC, I would prefer to buy second hand because I might change the setup again soon, and possibly avoid a bloodbath in re-selling.

In a second system I have a n-272/NAP200. I might as well consider a second n-272, even if I don't actually need a pre/streamer in this system. Of course I would also consider streamers from other brands.

Thanks.

I don’t sell them, but there is a new company Soncoz, measurements are superb , it is elegant too, Amazon only at the moment I believe.
Keith

If you’re using the Unitiserve into a DAC, USB is not an option, it uses SPDIF. Optical is an option, but I think you’ll find coax gives the best results. Alternatively, if you go for another 272, obviously you can use UPnP, as I presume you are already doing with your other system.
Using a DAC direct into a Naim power amp goes against traditional Naim thinking, which says that a matching analogue pre is key, but that costs, and you may find it works for you. I’ve tried a couple if different Chord DACs direct into a 250, and it worked fine.

You could try one of the Mytek DACs. I have a Manhattan II in one system and a Brooklyn in another. Both have analogue and digital volume controls (you can use either) and analogue (including phono) as well as digital inputs. The Manhattan is quite a bit better, but it is also quite a lot more expensive! Both are connected directly to power amps.

Coincidentally, I am currently evaluating the Brooklyn into my just serviced olive 250 and it works fine. How it compares to my usual power amps, I'm not yet sure, but so far so good! I made up a two phono to XLR lead for the purpose, but I think that you can buy one from Flashback Sales for about £40-50.

I have used Naim power amps with non-Naim preamps in the past with great results (better than my then current Naim pre!), so I wouldn't worry about traditional Naim thinking.

I really like the TeddyDAC, so the obvious choice would be a TeddyDAC VC, which unfortunately is very hard to find and Teddy discontinued it. If still in production, I would probably buy it new

I would ask Teddy, if he could built one for you.
Have done this with RCA cables.

I didn’t know many of the DACs that have been suggested, and this makes me feel like a caveman here.
All these units really look interesting, I’ll have a deeper look.

@Whatsisnaim: yes the US is fed into the DAC coax. The USB input would be nice because sometimes I connect my MacBook Pro to the DAC.

So far, I think I understood why Teddy decided to drop DACs: impossible to compete against these factories and keep up with a fast-developing technology and its digital tricks & tweaks.

I’m also starting to consider a different approach/strategy to build a hifi system: an outstanding power amp that will last for ages, coupled with a “disposable” DAC/digital preamp, to be replaced or updated when new standards or formats or performances are available.

Price wise, that Soncoz thing looks like a killer, although I have no idea what all those graphs and measurements will turn into actual listening. It would be great to read a review or comparison vs something known

Thank you for all these suggestions, I’ll take some time to understand these units better, and to check what is easily available in Italy.

They both look stunning - in terms of sound signature how would you say the Matrix components compare with the Auralic Altair G1?

I think so too. They both use a clever two layer, mixed material case which is both practical and pretty.

Given the price difference, I think it would be fairer to compare the Element X with the Vega G1. The Element M is much closer in price to the Altair G1. All four of these products aim for perfect neutrality. Their designers worked hard to minimise noise and eliminate any colouration. The Element X in particular has extraordinarily low noise and distortion (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-audio-element-x-dac-streamer-amp.7782/) and that translates to some fun "I haven't heard that before" listening experiences. They all offer the ability to tweak filters, some of which change the sound in (mostly) subtle but noticeable ways. The Auralic Altair G1 also has onboard parametric EQ, delays and gain trims which allow you to alter its sound quite dramatically if you so choose, to suit your taste or to compensate for room related issues.

I think so too. They both use a clever two layer, mixed material case which is both practical and pretty.

Given the price difference, I think it would be fairer to compare the Element X with the Vega G1. The Element M is much closer in price to the Altair G1. All four of these products aim for perfect neutrality. Their designers worked hard to minimise noise and eliminate any colouration. The Element X in particular has extraordinarily low noise and distortion (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...matrix-audio-element-x-dac-streamer-amp.7782/) and that translates to some fun "I haven't heard that before" listening experiences. They all offer the ability to tweak filters, some of which change the sound in (mostly) subtle but noticeable ways. The Auralic Altair G1 also has onboard parametric EQ, delays and gain trims which allow you to alter its sound quite dramatically if you so choose, to suit your taste or to compensate for room related issues.

Thanks Lee. The Altair G1/Element M would be within my budget. It seems the Altair G1 may have the edge to keep the Gato Amp under control as it can sound a little "clean" at times.

I'll PM if I want to take further........

To the OP, I agree you'd probably be better changing your power amp as well for easier system matching. I run a Chord TT directly in to my power amps (Maker Audio NL14+) which works well. I have a couple of nice pre-amps and try them every now and then, but always return back to the direct connection as the detail is better.

You could try one of the Mytek DACs. I have a Manhattan II in one system and a Brooklyn in another. Both have analogue and digital volume controls (you can use either) and analogue (including phono) as well as digital inputs. The Manhattan is quite a bit better, but it is also quite a lot more expensive! Both are connected directly to power amps.

Coincidentally, I am currently evaluating the Brooklyn into my just serviced olive 250 and it works fine. How it compares to my usual power amps, I'm not yet sure, but so far so good! I made up a two phono to XLR lead for the purpose, but I think that you can buy one from Flashback Sales for about £40-50.

I have used Naim power amps with non-Naim preamps in the past with great results (better than my then current Naim pre!), so I wouldn't worry about traditional Naim thinking.

I don't know how it would work with the @ste71 's amp, but I ran the Brooklyn as a DAC and preamp into a Line Magnetic 518i and I loved the combination. I wouldn't definitely look at the Myteks.

I'm afraid I won't have a chance to try these DACs in my system before I buy, so I'll try to make my mind up based on comments and reviews. If buying new, I'll lean towards sellers that have a return policy.

All the pre/DACs that have been suggested above really look great.
I also had a look at the Topping DX7 pro. It is available on Amazon, with a nice 30 days return policy.

The Matrix units - and the Mytek, too - look terrific and certainly the integrated streamer wouldn't hurt. If I get it right, they also have integrated Tidal connection so if they are so good, I might also consider replacing my n-272 in the other system as I don't need analogue inputs anymore.

For the moment the amp will stay. By the way, the NAP250 hasn't arrived yet so I guess I'll keep it for a while :)
I had one 10 years ago with CDS/82/2HC and I really regret that I sold it.

In the loft system I have a Xiang Sheng DAC-01A. The volume control works on the headphone output, but it can be configured to work on the main output. And although that has a reduced quality, I believe there is a workaround to maintain the sound quality. I use USB and coax inputs, and you can choose between valve or op-amp outputs. Mine cost me around £100, plus a WE valve. It might be worth a look, at the price, which was about a twentieth of the Benchmark's!

advertisement

Back