advertisement

Nap 120 caps

garyi

leave blank
HI folks I am selling a nap 120 with a blown cap its all boxed up and ready to travel and I am reluctant to undo it all again but ideally would like to know the cap that has blown would anyone have a clue?

Its one of the two big blue ones!
006tNbRwgy1gahnbfj7htj30qo0zkh6k.jpg

Erm.... it's one of the smoothing capacitors.. looks a bit ITT or Erie. very old. Probably works in spite of how it looks!

Last edited:
Indeed I listened to an album on it, but it did hiss, so I think its long term prospect is not good.

Leaving these reservoir capacitors in place is not harmful for the amplifier but the sound will deteriorate and won’t be optimum.
These electrolytic capacitors do not short when they fail so nothing is going to happen...........other than some ears will not appreciate.

Indeed I listened to an album on it, but it did hiss, so I think its long term prospect is not good.

The capacitor hissed or the amp hissed through the speakers? If the cap hissed then it needs to be replaced before any further use of course!
Obviously the caps are way past their best but if I had £5 for every time I've seen caps that look much worse but were still working when they were eventually replaced....

Leaving these reservoir capacitors in place is not harmful for the amplifier but the sound will deteriorate and won’t be optimum.
These electrolytic capacitors do not short when they fail so nothing is going to happen...........other than some ears will not appreciate.

They can go short but are more likely to explode or spray gunk all over the innards of the amp... If they become too bad in lost capacitance and raised ESR the amp will hum through the speakers and could in fact go unstable and oscillate, destroying the tweeters...

As I said though, it's surprising how often they get this bad but soldier on... sometimes for years!

Hi it was the capacitor that hissed, basically I plugged it in after at least a few years of it not having been and noted it took a fair while before I got output. I listened to some music but it was gnawing at me so I took the lid off, and the cap was hissing out a bit of the shmooo there.

The two smoothing capacitors are likely to be ITT or STC 10,000 uF and 40 V. One of them appears to have leaked and I’d recommend replacing both. These days electrolytic capacitors are a lot smaller than they were in the 1970s and the job would be easier if you could find ones with the same diameter as the existing ones to fit the capacitor clips. I’d recommend going for 63 V working and maybe 15,000 uF.

advertisement

Back