advertisement

Dynavector 17 dx mc cartridge

koi

pfm Member
Had the mk2 version of this a few years back which was quite good, anyone use this new version and what are your thoughts.

Might make it a new year buy.

Had the 17D3 and thought it exceptional. Certainly the odd one out in the DV range, super fast and very engaging, some say a bit light in the bass but I didn't think so; it's a fave cartridge of mine.

I had the new DX for a bit last year. I thought is a good cartridge but closer to say a DV20, it had little of the magic of the older Karats that set them apart. Also in price it is very close to the DVXX2 which I would have in preference.

Reactions: koi
I wanted to upgrade my 10x5 recently, I went with the XX2 MKII over the 17DX, they are pretty much the same price.

Nice, have Gyro SE/HR PSU/PU7. Was using a P75 MKIV now a Trilogy 907 phono. The other cart I considered was an AT ART. Really happy with the XX2, always liked the 10x5 range right from the Ultimo 10X.

Reactions: koi
Are they all significant improvements as you go up the Dynavector range? I have the 20X2 which I’m very happy with but I’ve heard other say that next step up is a £1000 ish Lyra....

Are they all significant improvements as you go up the Dynavector range? I have the 20X2 which I’m very happy with but I’ve heard other say that next step up is a £1000 ish Lyra....

The step up from the 20X2L to the XX2 MkII is definitely worth the extra outlay. If you like the 20X2L then it’s a safe bet that you’ll enjoy the XX2 MkII as well.

I thought the boron cantilever on the XX gained some detail and 'sophistication' over the ali cantilever in the 20, but the XX lost a little of the 'rock and roll' attitude of the 20 that I bought it for. OFC that swap may be exactly what many want for the extra few hundred quid:)
As to Lyra Delos vs XX, I'd still have the Lyra if buying without audition in my room and system, but it'd be close. Hear both I think.

I currently have a 17d3 and a Lyra Delos. I never got on with the 17d3 originally but it soon became a winner. Close to the Delos and I actually prefer it.
Additionally the Delos needed retipping and it’s done half the mileage of the 17d3 which just goes on and on.
If I was buying again id choose the 17dx over the xx or a Lyra

Holy cow, the mass has gone up considerably to 11g. I see reference to 'machining the body from brass' in the blurb.

Utterly ridiculous - designers have largely left the building when it comes to phono cartridges to be replaced my marketing shills pandering to audiophile gullibility.
They all do it, just like Grado sticking perfectly good lightweight carts into wooden overcoats and slapping on £500....

advertisement

Back