advertisement

Black Mould

Treat promptly - some varieties of black mould are very, very bad for your health. If it’s behind your bed, move the bed or sleep elsewhere until it has been elîminated.

Some superb advice in this thread. It's a difficult problem
Had mould in one house and battled it for several years. Found the roof insulation was not covering the whole ceiling causing cold spots . Fitted roof vent for upgraded ventaxia for bathroom. Painted ceiling with ronseal anti mould. So far seems ok

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Construction is three solid engineered bricks, they’re exceedingly hard much like Accrington bricks. We have a very powerful fan in the bathroom now. My gut reaction was to remove, make good, and use a dehumidifier to treat the cause. It’s a 200 year old cottage at the end of the day. Trying some heat in the cold spot might help, but round the window might still be an issue.

Nordic countries are paranoid about black mould. Treatment usually involves
1) addressing the root cause (usually some water infiltration or bad ventilation)
2) removing all contaminated material to get rid of spores
3) blasting the area with industrial fans to get it bone dry (this takes weeks)
4) rebuilding/ refinishing the area.
Not a DIY job.

I’m going through the same thing in my open plan flat, with the moisture from the bathroom having found its way to the furthest and coldest point - the bedroom. To be honest I’ve fixed the damp problem and it’s needed decorating for some time but I’ve just been too busy this year.

The first and simplest thing to do was open the front door, which is next to the bathroom, after a shower, and occasionally open all the windows to give it good blow out or when cooking. It’s easier to heat a dry home than a damp one and saves money in the long run.

Next was to put a heat source in the bedroom. I opted for a Delonghi mica panel heater because unlike oil filled radiators it’s (almost) silent and doesn’t dry the air out, and I leave permanently on the lowest setting. I’d recommend one if anyone wants a bedroom heater.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-H...1?keywords=Delonghi+hmp&qid=1577039856&sr=8-1

Now mine needs decorating. I’ve got Mr Muscle bathroom cleaner because it works and is kinder to skin when using it, although I’ve got some anti-mould cleaner and apparently diluted bleach is better, but both leave me scratching like a rabid dog for a fortnight! After Christmas the plan is to rub the walls down with a sanding block, cover with Ronsel anti-mould paint for walls, then cover with two coats of emulsion.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ronseal-AM...ocphy=9046645&hvtargid=pla-554774307827&psc=1

In my case, opening the front door and windows is more inconvenient than flicking an extractor switch (I have one but it would need to be a lot more powerful to do the job) and runs the risk of the neighbours seeing me in a dressing gown, but it’s effective. The permanent heat source on the lowest setting hopefully isn’t too expensive as it’s meant I’ve not needed the central heating.

OP, hopefully this is of some use and good luck with yours.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Have had to deal with low level mould a few times, generally between tenancies (we are landlords of a couple of properties).
To kill/eliminate low level you need to use something like HG mould spray (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000IU40HQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21) and then add PIV (positive input ventilation) to the property, makes a big difference. Big big difference.

Have had to deal with low level mould a few times, generally between tenancies (we are landlords of a couple of properties).
To kill/eliminate low level you need to use something like HG mould spray (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000IU40HQ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21) and then add PIV (positive input ventilation) to the property, makes a big difference. Big big difference.
i believe white vinegar will do a similar job in killing the mould off aswell...

i believe white vinegar will do a similar job in killing the mould off aswell...

True, very effective and quite safe. Perfect for low level outbreaks/periodic wipedown (its what we do at home).
Never mix with bleach. ever.

HG Mould spray is very effective stuff, more for your medium outbreaks.

Always use a good quality mask, dont want to breath the spores in (or the fumes from bleach or the mould spray)

Construction is three solid engineered bricks, they’re exceedingly hard much like Accrington bricks. We have a very powerful fan in the bathroom now. My gut reaction was to remove, make good, and use a dehumidifier to treat the cause. It’s a 200 year old cottage at the end of the day. Trying some heat in the cold spot might help, but round the window might still be an issue.
Dehumidifier is a must. Yes it is noisy but use it during the day and coupled with ventilation when necessary it is all you can do at a reasonable price. The cottage probably has no damp proof course and with solid walls you have to either live with what you have or go for an expensive solution. We use a few dehumidifiers in our georgian house and definitely helps to get moisture levels down especially for showers. Another new product that entered the tool chest is a couple of Karcher window vacs. Amazing yokes for large single glazed sash windows that end up bathed in condensation after a nights sleep! Use this and open the windows for a short period. Then use dehumidifier at a low setting after closing windows. We do not have a mould problem. In our basement I went to a lot more effort with injection of a dpc and heavy dpc for floor with insulation and underfloor heating. Touch wood seems to have been successful.

Dehumidifier is a must. Yes it is noisy but use it during the day and coupled with ventilation when necessary it is all you can do at a reasonable price. The cottage probably has no damp proof course and with solid walls you have to either live with what you have or go for an expensive solution. We use a few dehumidifiers in our georgian house and definitely helps to get moisture levels down especially for showers. Another new product that entered the tool chest is a couple of Karcher window vacs. Amazing yokes for large single glazed sash windows that end up bathed in condensation after a nights sleep! Use this and open the windows for a short period. Then use dehumidifier at a low setting after closing windows. We do not have a mould problem. In our basement I went to a lot more effort with injection of a dpc and heavy dpc for floor with insulation and underfloor heating. Touch wood seems to have been successful.
off topic for a sec....i'm so itching to try a jadis i50, your's looks the nuts...very very nice

Dehumidifier is a must. Yes it is noisy but use it during the day and coupled with ventilation when necessary it is all you can do at a reasonable price. The cottage probably has no damp proof course

Damp proof course pah!! We don't even have foundations.

off topic for a sec....i'm so itching to try a jadis i50, your's looks the nuts...very very nice
Steady on its only a DA50S! Wouldn't mind having the I50 it uses KT150's. I use KT120's in mine. Thanks for the complement. There is a few threads on Jadis here but they are not hugely liked in the UK I feel.

Damp proof course pah!! We don't even have foundations.
Ah wouldn't worry about that. We don't either sure they didn't do them back then :) Touch wood ours still standing after nearly 200yrs and no settlement of any note. Though it did limit how far we could dig out in the basement!
Forget the product name but we used a rubberized emulsion up to skirting level. Like BobMcC advises above try to have the ground outside as low as possible. We have stone chippings in the back and the drain as low as we can to get rid of surface water. No doubt you have probably done that type of stuff.

BTW try and get the dehumidifiers secondhand. People get rid of them because they make noise. DeLonghi or Dimplex ones are fairly good.

You could run the Jadis in the cold damp corner, that would drive out the moisture.

More practically, ventilate the room, especially the shower, and stop drying clothes in the house. If still no go, dehumidifier and low level heating. Trace heating works in cold damp corners.

We had rising damp and a chemical DPC didn’t stop it so they came back and honoured the guarantee by repeating it but even that didn’t stop it.

Thanks for tips re: Black Mould on Silicone. I'll try them.

As I said above we are taking action against the Co. (or their insurers) wot dun our Cavity Wall. Since it was done we have had small areas of black mould breaking out, and also the loft now feels damp... though so far I've not detected any sort of mould. As an example.. cardboard boxes stored up there now tend to feel damp and soft.

advertisement

Back