advertisement

Christmas Songs Top 10

And includes a snippet of Jingle Bells. Lord, Blue is a cracking album, if I'm in the right mood it can reduce me to tears.

Wikipedia thinks it's a Christmas song, so it must be...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_(Joni_Mitchell_song)

They are wrong. More like she's on a Greek island considering leaving/just left her boyfriend on the island and considering moving back to Canada and her old life there and in USA and picturing what people would be doing back home...

And at the other end of the Christmas spectrum is this blast from Christmas past (perhaps the first single I ever bought - I was very young).

Great choice. You never hear much of The Wombles these days, a very under-rated band.

Other than Kirsty & The Pogues, I also like this one from my era:

Smith & Burrows did a Christmas album (not your usual affair) called Funny Looking Angels that has a track called This Ain't New Jersey that I adore at this time of year.

Another non-Christmas themed Christmas number 1 that often comes round on my playlist this time of year 'Another Brick In the Wall' by Pink Floyd.

Another non-Christmas themed Christmas number 1 that often comes round on my playlist this time of year 'Another Brick In the Wall' by Pink Floyd.

Is ‘Walking in the Air’ a non-Xmas song in your book?

Poor Aled.

My top 10 are:
Clannad, Christmas Angels
Greg Lake, I believe in Father Christmas
The Ronettes, Sleigh ride
Steve Winwood, Christmas is now drawing near at hand
St Agnes Fountain, Spirit of Christmas
Melisa Manchester, Breath of Heaven
Amy Mann, God rest ye merry gentlemen
Joni Mitchell, River
Thea Gilmore, Listen, snow is falling
Alid Jones, Walking in the air!
Mac

Saint Etienne featuring Tim Burgess, I was born on Christmas Day.
Eartha Kitt, Santa baby, though I can swap that for Kylie at random.
Under no circumstances any Mariah Carey.
Motown Christmas album when in doubt.

advertisement

Back