advertisement

Bye bye Naim amplification, hello Musical Fidelity

MS UK Didn't manufacture in uk ,I dont think .some of repair work was done out sourced . Think their range was too similar. was going to purchase the encore,really glad I didn't . STILL have memories of the A1 and THE MVT preamp

The more and more I fettle with the Encores, the more and more I like them. Simple yet rugged UI which can be controlled over the network, nice sounding amp stages, basic but effective design. I had an early A1 back a couple of weeks ago, it's still sounding fantastic for it's size !

Musical Fidelity have always produced quality kit at affordable prices. In the past I have used a few of their products, including an amplifier, speakers and a Dac(M1). The M1 Dac was my favourite of all of these. I did use Naim for a while but I’ve now moved on to Yamaha. I did miss my Naim at first but after a few weeks of listening the delights of the Yamaha took hold and I am enjoying my music as much as I always have.

I've owned Yamaha amps in the past, and regret selling really - beautifully made and finished, and switchable Class A/ Class AB, along with a very transparent and neutral sound.

I think the key point about Naim as regards the sound of the chrome bumper and olive models is 'impressive'. It's a sound presentation that seems quite forward in the presence range, and puts the band 'in the room' rather than you in the concert hall.

Along with a very dry spatial presentation and almost pronounced leading edges of notes, it's a very driving sound that never fails to excite on rock and pop, or when you are cranking the system up to 'demonstrate' it etc.

However, on the other hand and with natural acoustic music in particular, despite having a very full sense of timbre as regards vocals and instruments, timbral colour tended to be lacking, and the lack of proper spatial representation as heard in real life, lended a certain very impressive, but somewhat artificial sounding presentation to much acoustic music.

Additionally the pronounced leading edges of notes/dry transient response - whilst very impressive on things like snare and ride cymbal hits, could sound quite false on say some more vigorous solo piano works - unless the aim of the performer was to destroy the piano rather than play it.

In all, Naim's sound is arguably quite captivating and impressive, but not the last word of neutrality or accuracy to the original sound when the source is natural acoustic instruments in my experience.

Nothing wrong with that, as no Hifi is perfect, however, whilst I sometimes miss the excitement Naim could bring to the party on a handful of favourite recordings, I prefer the accuracy and neutrality of what I run now, as it is very rare that one has a recording that on one hand plays to the systems 'strengths' and others that just seem to sound 'off - by contrast almost any genre of music sounds 'right' and it can be quite easy sometimes to close the eyes and feel you are listening to live performance in terms of correct instrumental timbre, spatial perspectives, and a very natural and believable transient response that brings forth everything the music has to offer in terms of *cough* PRaT.

So yes, on one hand sometimes I miss the Naim HiFi presentation - but for both good and bad reasons, and wouldn't personally choose to go back.

Cheers

MS UK Didn't manufacture in uk ,I dont think .some of repair work was done out sourced . Think their range was too similar. was going to purchase the encore,really glad I didn't . STILL have memories of the A1 and THE MVT preamp

The gear was made in UK using assemblies some of which were produced elsewhere. Boards stuffed in Taiwan and cases made in Germany but assembled and tested in Wembley, London. This was the case when I worked there '90-91.

I service and mod MF gear such as A1, A100, B200, A370, MVT, MVX etc etc etc and charge about half what the factory or J.S does...

The gear was made in UK using assemblies some of which were produced elsewhere. Boards stuffed in Taiwan and cases made in Germany but assembled and tested in Wembley, London. This was the case when I worked there '90-91.

I service and mod MF gear such as A1, A100, B200, A370, MVT, MVX etc etc etc and charge about half what the factory or J.S does...
Where are you based?

I went from a Nac72 and Nap140 to a Hegel H360 and as a result I am listening a lot more than I used to. The Naim upgrade path is far to expensive and you need to get extra power sockets!
Loving the Hegel H360

Quick line to update:

Still loving the M6Si...

genuinely awesome, and easily capable of showing off the benefits of adding a Radikal to my LP12...

Takes 15-20 minutes to fully get on song, mind...

I changed gradually from Naim to valves (but E.A.R., which doesn't sound valvey on power). From 135s to 509s took a few months for the sonic benefits to sink in (wife liked them immediately). The 135s were 'dry' by comparison.

The biggest change by a long way was 552 pre to E.A.R. 912 pre. Okay, synergy rules but the 552 was excellent with the 509s. Chalk and cheese in emotional presentation and soundstage (with 2905 ESLs). Financial bonus was that I sold the 552 +p/s, Superline + Supercap and expensive cables; all unnecessary with the 912. Quids in, sound up and box count down !

My pre-amp is a Musical Fidelity A5 CR. I also have a two box DAC made by them. There’s a DAB tuner of theirs too - same sized case as the pre-amp - that I no longer use (radio is streamed these days).
Its a shame MF abandoned the CR (choke regulated) power supplies, as this extra stage of regulation pays high sonic dividends. BTW I have used aftermarket CR on XPS, 555PS, 552PS, Supercaps, 500PS all of which were both measurably (by a factor of 50x) and sonically (by a factor of maybe 2x) better. I suspect it had to do with the extra cost of the weightly ironmongory.

Quick line to update:

Still loving the M6Si...

genuinely awesome, and easily capable of showing off the benefits of adding a Radikal to my LP12...

Takes 15-20 minutes to fully get on song, mind...

They are good aren't they. I recommended one to a customer recently (I have nowt to do with sales), and he's been raving about it.

"I service and mod MF gear such as A1, A100, B200, A370, MVT, MVX etc etc etc and charge about half what the factory or J.S does..." Glad to hear this - although as per se the "factory" responsibility handed over to us in May 2018 after taking on the distribution of the MF brand when Audio Tuning acquired the company.

As we're responsible for Warranty Repairs on all recent gear, we won't fix pricing as MF did on "out of warranty" repairs, and take a more case by case basis, we'll always try and keep costs "sensible" and we will always quote before commencing any work. We no longer offer the famed MF upgrade service, but will replace components where worn out or in need of repair - these are mainly reservoir caps, smoothing caps and transistors that appear tired and sunburnt. We're happy to work alongside guys like JS / AA / AE and dealers offering repairs, and will support them where we can, and can provide parts to them if needed. Everything that was in Wembley was palletised up and sent to AuTun, so although patchy - there are "some" older parts still available.

I’ve heard the latest range of MF amps & am impressed with them.
The M6si is a super amp & I can see how the transition from Naim to it is not too jarring.
Enjoy your great new toy!

They are good aren't they. I recommended one to a customer recently (I have nowt to do with sales), and he's been raving about it.

"I service and mod MF gear such as A1, A100, B200, A370, MVT, MVX etc etc etc and charge about half what the factory or J.S does..." Glad to hear this - although as per se the "factory" responsibility handed over to us in May 2018 after taking on the distribution of the MF brand when Audio Tuning acquired the company.

As we're responsible for Warranty Repairs on all recent gear, we won't fix pricing as MF did on "out of warranty" repairs, and take a more case by case basis, we'll always try and keep costs "sensible" and we will always quote before commencing any work. We no longer offer the famed MF upgrade service, but will replace components where worn out or in need of repair - these are mainly reservoir caps, smoothing caps and transistors that appear tired and sunburnt. We're happy to work alongside guys like JS / AA / AE and dealers offering repairs, and will support them where we can, and can provide parts to them if needed. Everything that was in Wembley was palletised up and sent to AuTun, so although patchy - there are "some" older parts still available.

I managed to sort that £7000 Unison Research power amp in the end BTW.... with no thanks to the factory or Henley Designs (the UK importer. Back in the day, our distributors at Alchemist Products also... there's now't like loyalty... the cost price Ortofons was nice though) who refused to give any help or information whatsoever...

I can't think of any specific parts for older MF amps that are not ether available, an equivalent available, or in a few cases has been unavailable even from the MF factory for a long time anyway (fans for A100, selector switch for A1, A100 and several other models etc).

I re-capped and serviced an A1 just a few days ago actually and it sounded very nice!:)

And I’m greatly appreciating the service and upgrade you carried out on my 18 year-old X-A2. Sounds fantastic.

The differences between decent amplifiers is not huge, so unless you have an amplifier that is genuinely bad, differences will be subtle at relatively normal levels, driving relatively normal speakers. All an amplifier should do is make the signal bigger, and not do anything else to it. No amplifier has yet achieved this, but many get close. We have been sold two concepts by the hifi press (for perfectly understandable reasons) - one is that our musical enjoyment can be transformed by buying new kit, and to get 'better' you need to spend more, i.e. a more expensive amplifier will be better than a cheaper one. I achieved one of my best upgrades by replacing a pre-amplifier that cost maybe £3000 with its power supplies (this may give you a clue...) and £2000 DAC with a DAC with volume control that cost me £600.

Your experience with amps is very different from mine. I tested a fair few when I moved away from Naim a few years ago and they all sounded remarkably different. And none of them were 'bad'.

And that is exactly the point with Naim, it isn't perfect but they ad something to the music/let the music play in a different very attractive way I never found with another brand so far.

I'm currently owning a very good value Primare I30 but always thinking about Naim even when the Primare is very, very good.

As long as I'm into hifi I have a love/hate relationship with Naim.

I’m about the same........
I had many different brands of amplifiers over the years (including many Naim) and always came back to Naim although everything is not perfect sound wise with Naim.
I had amps that were much more hi-fi, with perfect timber, silky sweet treble and pin point image but when I connected back almost any Naim stuff, I am instantly INTO the music and want to listen to more recordings.
A friend of mine had a very nice Devialet.........and came back to Naim NAP 300 within a year with no regrets !
FYI, I used to be a bass player and to me, only a Naim amp allows me to identify the brand and model of bass is being played and how hard the strings are pinched so this might be the reason why I always come back to Naim !

@Gervais Cote I couldn't agree more about this: had amps that were much more hi-fi, with perfect timber, silky sweet treble and pin point image but when I connected back almost any Naim stuff, I am instantly INTO the music and want to listen to more recordings.

Croft is another brand with that ability but they sound different, brighter to my ears and the bass has more boom but less precision (quantity vs. quality) with the wrong speakers.

I'd love to hear an olive series Nac 52 with SC and Nap 135s but couldn't afford them, not even talking about the black series. Can't even afford a Nap 282 with a Nap 250. So my next step would be a SN2.:(

Last edited:
I ended the trail at 52/Scap/250 and want to a NAD M3 which was a lot cheaper far far more powerful and better for me in every way. Then The NAD needed a repair and the very unfashionable Nait 3 appeared in the classifieds here. Bought it to cover the repair bit and rather enjoyed the spacey, spot lit thing it did. It's in a box in the spare room cos I likedit too much to sell.

@Gervais Cote :I couldn't agree more about this: had amps that were much more hi-fi, with perfect timber, silky sweet treble and pin point image but when I connected back almost any Naim stuff, I am instantly INTO the music and want to listen to more recordings.

Croft is another brand with that ability but they sound different, brighter to my ears and the bass has more bloom but less precision.

I'd love to hear an olive series Nac 52 with SC and Nap 135s but couldn't afford them, not even talking about the black series. Can't even afford a Nap 282 with a Nap 250. So my next step would be a SN2.:(

A Supernait 1 with a used Hicap is very impressive............and now affordable ! You need a huge investment to better this combo.

advertisement

Back