advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Labour had every opportunity to change our voting system between 97 and 2005 but having had a taste of power they thought they could rule forever.

It is a key reason I don’t ever vote for them unless I am in a Tory/Lab marginal (I’ve lived in many places in the country), at which point I will obviously vote tactically against the Tories.

Not at all, if you mean its weakens us from a security and militarily perspective, as BJ is committed to NATO whereas Corbyn.....

It goes beyond military advantage. Removing 12% from the EU's annual 'take' could cause problems the mor Europe worries about itself, the less it worries less about Russia.

Even worse when you consider that 15+ million didn't cast their vote at all.
That's 1 million more than the total votes for the Tories.

Tactically voted, but made no difference in my locality - Tory with 23K majority over Labour.

Class..I have been waiting for this old chestnut to turn up.

Perhaps they didn't know there was an election occurring as things have quiet recently - not much happening, nothing controversial going on.

Or maybe they had more important things to do that day - walking the dog, washing the car etc

Or perhaps they have never heard of a postal vote.

FFS those who don't make it to the polling station don't count and can't complain wherever happens in this Parliament.

I would only support PR if it came coupled to compulsory voting - should be possible with Internet etc

Ohh Jeremy - Corbyn.

Manifesto needed a bit more prol appeal whatever that is.

But thanks for the hard work you put in.

Jo Swinson. Valiant effort for a newbie. Easy to see, in hindsight, where that went wrong.
Absolutely. Whatever we think of them as politicians they are both human beings, well meaning ones, who have suffered such vitriol that we should all wish them the best.

Supporting Johnson’s call for an election. That went well, for her and the rest of us.

She (and Corbyn, for that matter) would eventually have had to face Johnson in an election. The longer they resisted the worse it would look.

By the way, just like in 2017, the 2019 Tory manifesto includes a pledge to remove the Fixed Term Parliaments Act. This time, they have the numbers to actually do it. The question is: what will they replace it with? Just go back to the old conventions, or have something written down, and, if so, what? Will they even stick with the maximum five year term we've had hitherto? In this, and so many other things, we don't know what Johnson will do. The British people just signed a blank cheque.

One problem with voting for the worst kind of people, whether they claim to be on the left or the right, is that you might not get a chance to ever vote them out. I still think that this is a bit of a stretch with Johnson -- that he will not go that far -- but I worry, nonetheless. (I never really thought he would try to prorogue parliament for weeks, until he did it.)

Kind regards

- Garry

Like yesterday on the One Show, Noel Gallagher declared not voting.

Followed by a silence of disbelief / disgust.

It's still better to vote for a Bucket Head than no-one at all. People have sacrificed a lot to get the vote.

With hindsight had the LDs and LP voted for May's deal, they would have got a much softer deal than the one negotiated by Johnson. Plus they would still be in a job and maybe looking forward to taking on the Tories fronted by a tired Leader in the 2022 GE.

She (and Corbyn, for that matter) would eventually have had to face Johnson in an election. The longer they resisted the worse it would look.
Good job it didn’t look too bad on Thursday then.

I wish the opposition had remained united and told Johnson an election could wait until Brexit was sorted out. It was obvious where an election was going to lead (except to her, it seems.) The media certainly knew - hence the pressure that was being exerted on them.

It's still better to vote for a Bucket Head than no-one at all. People have sacrificed a lot to get the vote.
Has he thought of teaming up with morrisey? They are similarly brimming with talent...

Wow I would never admit to watching the 1 Show, even less to give a flying what Noel Oasis thinks about anything.

Absolutely. Whatever we think of them as politicians they are both human beings, well meaning ones, who have suffered such vitriol that we should all wish them the best.
Yes. The best quality a politician can have is human beingness [?] . Its a thankless task for many, so couple that with a thick skin.

Not something I could do.

Class..I have been waiting for this old chestnut to turn up.

Perhaps they didn't know there was an election occurring as things have quiet recently - not much happening, nothing controversial going on.

Or maybe they had more important things to do that day - walking the dog, washing the car etc

Or perhaps they have never heard of a postal vote.

FFS those who don't make it to the polling station don't count and can't complain wherever happens in this Parliament.

I would only support PR if it came coupled to compulsory voting - should be possible with Internet etc

Ray.

I think the majority of those people have completely switched off from politics as they think their vote/opinion is a waste of time.
So I agree with your final sentence as it would certainly be a way forward from where we find ourselves.

Dave.

I would welcome compulsory voting as in Australia.

Whilst I can't really prove the following I have personally noticed it and have mentioned it before... this being that the majority of people on the poorest council estates/ "dodgiest areas" etc don't vote in my experience. Nor do they generally have any interest whatsoever in politics...(yes I'm referring to exactly the types seen on "Benefits Britain" etc) for whatever reason the women seem much worse than the men in this and I recall doing, over a few days, a little bit of an experiment and finding that over half of them couldn't name the current PM!! This would I guess be half way through Blair's first term. Many people here may have reasons for not wanting it to be too easy for "the powers that be" to locate them.. and therefore they don't want to be on the electoral register.

Labour should be hassling them till they're sick to death of it! Pointing out in the starkest of terms what it means for their benefits, child allowance, NHS provision etc if they allow the Tories into power! But they don't... this has long struck me as a blatant failure on Labour's part!

Compulsory voting would change this and give Labour a huge boost at election time.

Good job it didn’t look too bad on Thursday then.

I wish the opposition had remained united and told Johnson an election could wait until Brexit was sorted out. It was obvious where an election was going to lead (except to her, it seems.)

It could have been even worse than Thursday's result and I am convinced it would have been, had they clung on, but otherwise behaved the same. Although this week was disappointing in many ways, it really isn't a low watermark for opposition performance. Blair and Thatcher both enjoyed far larger majorities than Johnson has now.

Dave,

I have some sympathy with people who are, for example, ardent Labour supporters but happen to live in an area which always elects a Tory MP. I have been in this situation before and it is demoralising but to not turn up to the polling station is an insult to all those who have campaigned and fought over centuries for the franchise. Spoil the ballot paper if necessary.

Ray

It could have been even worse than Thursday's result and I am convinced it would have been, had they clung on, but otherwise behaved the same.
Numerically maybe, but in essence no difference. Once the majority is sufficient, it doesn’t matter exactly how big it is. And there would have been a chance of getting some vital compromises on Brexit - maybe even a second referendum - which was thrown away. Would the support for Johnson have been so great then? All conjecture of course, it’s just what I would like to have seen.

Well, I think there is a rather grim moral to this tale. If you cheat, lie, break the law, you're a racist, and collude with racists then you can snatch the most powerful job in the land, and people will love you.

I dread to think what this is teaching future generations.

Though if Jeremy Corbyn had won, future generations would believe that everything in life was free.

And that all money came, from a magic money tree.

Maybe Hans Christian Anderson could be the new leader.

I see that once again the losing side is resorting to calling 'anyone else' liars, cheats and racists.
How very civilised - not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back