advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who cares? Tory with a small c, people will just vote for the real thing - unless you want to go back to near 50% election turnouts and pensioners being ejected from the Labour Conference. The problem for Labour was the betrayal of its promise to respect the referendum outcome, and that was forced on Corbyn by Starmer and co. It's so clearly a blunder...

Wasn’t it forced on Labour by the Labour conference? Most of them wanted to go further towards Remain too. The fence sitting policy was pushed by Corbyn, and about the most Leave-y that the party as a whole could live with.

I thought they should have gone full on Remain. They would still have lost the Red Wall, but they might have held on and made gains elsewhere. The country is split down the middle on Brexit, and if the Tories can win with Leave then Labour could have won with Remain.

But the real problem was Corbyn himself, with Labour’s neither flesh nor fowl Brexit policy merely a symptom of the overall problem of his leadership. Voters simply preferred Brexit to Corbyn.

Kind regards

- Garry

The problem for Labour was the betrayal of its promise to respect the referendum outcome, and that was forced on Corbyn by Starmer and co. It's so clearly a blunder...

In the real world where people ask lots of other people to find out what the reason was, it was Corbyn that was biggest factor:

ELrVznsWkAAJPXD

As this was a UK election on the issue of Brexit, it would be more pertinent for the government to answer the same questions in relation to-

The whole plan how they will manage
a) leaving the EU and
b) gaining access to the EU and
c) managing the border between N.Ireland and Ireland and N.Ireland and the rest of the UK

regards,
Dec

Not really as Nicola Sturgeon is suggesting that Scotland going its own way would be painless process or is some way better than Brexit as part of the UK.

Regards

Richard

WTF was that Labour promise of "free broadband for all" all about ?

Who thought it up and who in the Labour party ever let them mention it in public ?

Did I miss the announcement of an immediate end ( the very first day after they won the election ) to rough sleeping and food banks ?

Free BB is an election bauble thought up by the Twitteratti generation.

Bizarre priorities.

( had to get that off my chest )
If only Labour had said GET BREXIT DONE IN A WAY THAT IS FAIR TO ALL. At every opportunity.

In the real world where people ask lots of other people to find out what the reason was, it was Corbyn that was biggest factor:
That's because Corbyn was blamed for reneging on the Brexit promise - just as I was saying. It's a stretch to argue that it was policies

The British government should resist any request from Scotland for another referendum at least for the duration of this parliament.

Yes please. Nothing will strengthen the case for independence more than five years of a Boris government denying the Scottish people the right to choose their own future despite the SNP being returned on that very mandate in election after election.

That's just the Gang of Three crap

Really? Labour have lost their traditional support, the Tories will not address poverty and the party needs a new direction which the Left and Mighty Len won't countenance so what do you think will happen?

i think one way of ameliorating the effects of the ge would be for england to have its own parliament. i have long thought that the absence of such speaks volumes about the arrogance with which the UK as a political entity is treated by westminster. it is taken for granted and is a convenience for english rule. we badly need a proper federal structure here and such an institution would possibly hold off the drive for scottish independence. i was disappointed that none of the main uk parties floated the idea, especially labour. it is a progressive idea that would help strengthen the democratic process and buy-in up here. but in the meantime, i would much prefer to belong to the eu than the uk, given that the choice has been forced upon me.

People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people.

Terry Pratchett.
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

George Orwell

Some of the SNP vote was made up of non nationalist tactical voters. My Labour father and Tory/Lib Dem mother (she cannot stand Sturgeon) voted for SNP as they cannot stand Boris.

The last sentence should read ‘border’ rather than union. Probably Clarke’s mistake. Although in many ways what he says is accurate, there are two important caveats:

1. The new deal adds the Stormont consent mechanism — a way for NI to unilaterally exit the special arrangements.

2. The whole UK, including NI, stays in the UK customs union. The agreement states this in black and white. Therefore, there is no customs border down the Irish Sea. Practically speaking, the special arrangements and checks (details TBD) may make it seem very much like it is a customs border, but it isn’t, legally speaking. It’s hard to avoid the conclusion this was done for political reasons.

Kind regards

- Garry

Why has Corbyn not resigned immediately and taken full responsability for the result .
The Labour party needs to move on immediately

He shouldn’t be leading the party into the weekend let alone the next election, but there is no deputy in place and momentum need time to introduce the next mistake to members.

Corbyn is undoubtably a problem but for a lot of ex-Labour voters so too is Corbynism. The party needs to decide whether it can pick more voters than it loses by these policies.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

George Orwell

A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

George Orwell, again.

PS And again: “In England such concepts as justice, liberty and objective truth are still believed in. They may be illusions, but they are very powerful illusions.

ELrVznsWkAAJPXD
Tell us your first choice leader, Notaclue, and how they might avoid making a bad impression with the press.

He shouldn’t be leading the party into the weekend let alone the next election, but there is no deputy in place and momentum need time to rally round the next mistake.

"[N]eed time" suggests that Momentum will be reflecting and pondering and considering and questioning.

I'm happy to confirm that I suspect this is unlikely to be the case and the oven-ready Corbyn Mark II is ready to be slammed in the microwave https://twitter.com/BackBurgon/status/1205550317913432064

"We need the momentum". That's the clue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back