advertisement

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I think I'm living in a foreign land now, I'm watching BBC news and there's an old miner who as a lifelong Labour voter from Stoke saying that he has voted tory for the first time.

Sickening, how can an old miner vote tory?

Guys, broadband today is the sewers and the railways of Victorian times. Try claiming Universal Benefit, and then appealing, without a good internet connection (noting that the local library is closed)

Honestly I think I'm living in a foreign land now, I'm watching BBC news and there's an old miner who as a lifelong Labour voter from Stoke saying that he has voted tory for the first time.

2getbrexitdone

WTF was that Labour promise of "free broadband for all" all about ?

Who thought it up and who in the Labour party ever let them mention it in public ?

Did I miss the announcement of an immediate end ( the very first day after they won the election ) to rough sleeping and food banks ?

Free BB is an election bauble thought up by the Twitteratti generation.

Bizarre priorities.

( had to get that off my chest )
Fair.

Round here, not to far away from Stoke, i've been sent about 5 different leaflets all smearing Labour, all funded by the Tories, nothing about the actual conservatives themselves, An Ex-labour MP sending a letter saying vote Conservative was the cream of the rotten crop.

It seems to have worked.

Actually in a time when protecting the environment is becoming increasingly important stopping people needing to move around as much for work is a very good idea.... and one way that could be done is to enable more people to work from home.... and one way that could be done is to get every home a decent broad band connection... so actually his idea was a good one... poorly presented, but not as silly as you seem to think! It would also have the added benefit of making a lot of people far more productive.

PS 5G would be the proper answer, not wired broadband, but still a noble idea nonetheless.

Working from home is the way to go and it's a path I am just starting down (sold my company) having been office/customer based for 30+ years!
Microsoft Teams has certainly made life very easy the last few day and with OneDrive you can actualy be more effective working from home.
Better broadband coverage is a must but I don't agree with 5G being the only answer, you need a lot f masts to get the same coverage as ye olde copper/fibre.
It needs to be a hybrid network.

Joe,

Maybe with broadband and a computer it would be easier to find information about stuff.

Joe

Oi.... behave yourself ! I was questioning the fact that the proposal was trumpeted as a " big idea" ..a 'soundbite of the day' news time grabber.

They would have got a lot more real support had they been as loud about ending rough sleeping on day one.

Day one being in the middle of winter as it is.

And as was discussed by better brains than mine wired BB would be utterly out of date before it could have been implemented.

Don't give in, it was a great initiative.
Sure, and perfectly rational. But universal credit, ending poverty, workers’ rights, reindustrialisation, social care - it was all there but it should have been first and last, being hammered constantly, along with Boris and his billionaire mates are going to f—- you.

Reactions: Joe
Round here, not to far away from Stoke, i've been sent about 5 different leaflets all smearing Labour, all funded by the Tories, nothing about the actual conservatives themselves, An Ex-labour MP sending a letter saying vote Conservative was the cream of the rotten crop.

It seems to have worked.

Yes, a new low, a labour MP voting tory, bstards, at least she lost her seat to an effin tory. Irony of Ironies.

Even Sedgefield voted tory.

Today a statistic was released stating every single A&E in the land has failed its waiting target (BBC). Way to go Tories!

According to someone I know that works at Cheltenham general, that's because lots of people go to the hospital for things they shouldn't. Obviously that will happen, but surly it would have always happened? And also there is a priority for more serious problems, so if someone is sat there all night with a sore finger, so what. I've heard the exact same thing said before a number of times, and it just comes across as right wing excuses (probably repeated over and over again in the papers until it sticks).

Sure, and perfectly rational. But universal credit, ending poverty, workers’ rights, reindustrialisation, social care - it was all there but it should have been first and last, being hammered constantly, along with Boris and his billionaire mates are going to f—- you.

I think they were trying to get some purchase on anything that wasn't Brexit. Partly it's drawing up a manifesto by committee but in normal times there was little wrong with the overall message. I do think they should have stuck with the mass meeting format of last time showing Corbyn at his strength, where were Unite?

I can state that without fail the Tories and their media friends will start personal attacks and smearing tactics against whoever the next labour leader is. Labour were beaten which was fair enough but they enter every event with one hand behind their backs.

On this occasion they also tried to run with Michael Foot MK2

Actually in a time when protecting the environment is becoming increasingly important stopping people needing to move around as much for work is a very good idea.... and one way that could be done is to enable more people to work from home.... and one way that could be done is to get every home a decent broad band connection... so actually his idea was a good one... poorly presented, but not as silly as you seem to think! It would also have the added benefit of making a lot of people far more productive.

And I don't disagree but rough sleepers aren't generally moving about for work too much and Labour were fighting ( should have been fighting ) a very simple repetitive/repeated slogan from the Tories but were coming out with grand concepts with huge costing implications.

Ordinary working people are not stupid...they see a massive spending plan and they think "how are you going to pay for that "?

According to someone I know that works at Cheltenham general, that's because lots of people go to the hospital for things they shouldn't. Obviously that will happen, but surly it would have always happened? And also there is a priority for more serious problems, so if someone is sat there all night with a sore finger, so what. I've heard the exact same thing said before a number of times, and it just comes across as right wing excuses (probably repeated over and over again in the papers until it sticks).

It is a spiral: if you now can't get a Doc appointment for a week or more you go to A&E instead. And it is dangerous because some people have high pain thresholds and do not show how serious things are in the overfull Waiting Room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back