advertisement

What are you listening to right now #56

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have not stopped playing this 7CD 1Bluray box set since it arrived from Whatrecords last week.
R-14282184-1575368276-3732.jpeg.jpg

R-14282184-1575368276-4273.jpeg.jpg

Disc 3 is getting a play now.

50 years ago next year. 50 years?

been thinking I need a Doors retrospective; many years since I had an 'into them' period.
they really were different that's for sure - I mean a rhythm section (keyboard bass) that idolised coltrane's is a pretty good starting point for ... well, anything.

unfortunately I'm feeling a bit like I might as well play 'the end' as things stand ... but should probably stick to the earlier stuff regardless ...

Herbie Nichols - "The Prophetic', Vol 1. On CD and sounding pretty good, but I really hope they reissue some of these remarkable Blue Note Nichol's records on Tone Poet or at least BN80's on Vinyl. Vol. 1 is from 1955 , amazing compositions and piano playing for the time.

Ron Carter - Etudes with Bill Evans Tenor Sax, Art Farmer, Trumpet and Tony Willams, Drums. Vinyl original 1982 Electra Musician pressing. Great playing by all, especially Ron Carter who's Bass sounds superb on this.

Next up is a nice find in my local Oxfam shop yesterday for £3.99. Charlie Haden - 'The Golden Number', duets with Don Cherry, Ornette Colman, Hampton Hawes & Archie Shepp. Vinyl Horizon (A&M) 1977 pressing. Great Bass playing again of course as always with Haden and again the the recording is excellent especially on the Bass.

Agitation Free - Last

Krautrock band featuring Lutz Ulbrich before he joined Ashra and Michael Hoenig before joining TD and then a career as Hollywood composer.

This one is like Grateful Dead jamming but with more electronics.

Blue Note records documentary on the iplayer.

music comes across beautifully, both present and past, good talking heads for the most part. And the graphics are beautifully done / highlighted with a very deft and light touch (e.g Francis Wolfe's photo contact sheets are often shown and then images 'cropped' on the fly into the final record cover artwork).

there is, for me, a slightly disquieting element in terms of cultural / ethnic identification (this content is debateable and implied rather than an explicit aspect - so don't be put off) - it would always be my hope that such things had long been transcended and the spirit (if not the music) of the 'fusion' of the 70s continued to prevail. But I guess with things 'as they are' in terms of Populist racism etc, it's hardly to be wondered at in terms of a defensive reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back